Coolant leak or weep

VFR78

• Member Contributer

I have just noticed some coolant weeping from the bottom of the water pump housing. It’s not flowing out but enough to show colour on my finger. The maintenance manual says weeping is “normal”, but how much is normal. It’s not pissing out when the motor is running but there is is odd drip when the Viffer is parked. Overflow Tank levels drop about 3mm over about 1000kms of riding. Should a new pump be on order ????? Has anyone noticed the same “weeping”??

• Member Contributer

Have done nearly 70,000ks on my 8gen without any sign of weeping from the water pump. Are you sure the weep is not coming from the drain bolt? After replacing  my coolant some time back I actually had to place some thread sealant on the bolt to completely stop a very slight weep from the drain bolt.

Others have also noticed slight weeping from the drain bolt once it's been removed for coolant replacement. Something to check.

• Member Contributer

Checked the drain bolt in the pump cover and there is nothing coming there. The weeping is coming from under the water pump cover plate, where it meets the main water pump housing. The manual shows a small weep/bleed hole there (page 8-9).

I have done 42,000kms, with the valves and coolant replacement as per the manual. I am a bit concerned, because 2 years ago I met a young guy with the same 2014 Viffer and he had just had the pump replaced after only 10,000 or so kms. I quizzed my friendly Honda mechanic about it and while he said it was not common, it has happened to others. Maybe I just have to buy a new pump and slot it in. Should not be a real issue. Heading up the Stuart to Tennant Creek then Townsville next July and don’t want the trip to turn to Grubs.

• Member Contributer

Water pump shaft seal leak. The drip hole is there so you notice it. Drain coolant, remove pump, replace pump shaft seal. Reassemble & refill coolant.

Yeah, once the shaft-seal starts to "weep" it isn't going to stop, it's only going to slowly increase, and if your brain is anything like mine you won't be able to ignore the leak well enough to enjoy riding any more.

Here's what my '99 looked like for a while.  It made me miserable until I replaced the water pump.

edited-image_zpsqxexvfil.png

• Member Contributer

I have had a couple 5th Gen water pump weep hole leaks. On the most recent I actually believe that it was only the cover O-Ring leaking, not the main seal on the shaft. I'm nearly certain I could have got away with only replacing the cover O-Ring instead of the entire pump assembly. Of course I only saw that after I replaced it and took a close look at the previous one. Perhaps even the one before it was the same situation.

Of course I have no idea what the 8the Gen pump looks like or if it's similar.

I would drain it, and remove and inspect the pump closely before buying anything. My issue is I like to have exactly what I want to replace on hand before I start anything. But in my previous case I believe I would have been better off doing what I suggested.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Buzz, I think the pumps are essentially the same and I can’t understand why replacing the whole pump would solve a leak that seems to come from the pump cover plate area and that O ring. It seems to me that beyond that O ring is coolant and the pump, so how will replacing the pump itself have any impact. It is just that the manual says put in a new pump. I am well short of a competent spanner man, but just can’t see how a new pump is required. When you replace the pump, the manual talks about spinning the impeller to seat the drive shaft, so you are actually working in the coolant chamber. The only other seal is the outside plate O ring.

• Member Contributer

Sorted! The weep hole is in the pump housing, so coolant coming from there indicates that the mechanical seal within the pump might be failing.

Thanks All

Strud

Archived