Coolant Change

Tiutis

Hi! Has anyone done the coolant change on their 8th gen?  

I can't find the cylinder head drain plug. Does draining it lead to much additional coolant loss?

I wonder if I could getaway draining only the water pump plug? Or perhaps drain it twice to make sure most of old stuff is gone..

• Member Contributer

When I did it I didn't use the cylinder head drain plug. I ended up just using a lot of distilled water and a few heat cycles to clean it all out. 

• Member Contributer

Do you have the service manual?

If not, it can found and downloaded near the bottom of the home page under top downloads.

I've got mine on my mobile. Very handy to refer to while playing mechanic😆

I do, and I see in the picture what it looks like. I removed the right side fairing but I still don’t see it. I actually see a what I think is the cylinder head drain but I’m not certain, and it looks the like access to it is very limited. I wonder if anyone got this step done and if so which side of fairing it’s best accessed and how much coolant actually there?

• Member Contributer
On 10/27/2019 at 7:52 PM, Tiutis said:

That might be what I end up doing doing.

How do you drain the coolant reservoir tank?

Since I didn't want to remove the coolant overflow tank I used my mightvac brake bleeder to suck out the juice. Haha!

Changed the coolant draining only the water pump plug. I got about a little over 2 quarts. That’s about 80% of the coolant capacity. I think I’m content with that, if I change every other year going forward. Despite it was the 1st coolant change (almost 6years and 24k), it looked nice green color, not too dark at all. 

• Member Contributer

One of the things that will never happen is a motorcycle with everything easy to access and work on.  Dreaming again.......

Archived