Akro exhaust question

HareBrain

The bike I just bought came with the Akro exhaust and the baffle already removed. When I came to try to fit it, the baffle was really tight. I couldn't push it all the way in by hand, and even then I had to use pliers to pull it out again. Is that normal? I didn't want to try with a mallet etc till I found out more.

Thanks in advance!

ETA: just occurred to me that maybe it would be easier when it's been running and the exhaust is hot and has expanded a bit. I'll try that next dry day

• Member Contributer

It’s a tight fit, so that’s normal, I just push mine in for the MOT and remove it after

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, HareBrain said:

ETA: just occurred to me that maybe it would be easier when it's been running and the exhaust is hot and has expanded a bit. I'll try that next dry day

Surely the inner walls of the tube that holds the spud will expand to make the hole smaller??? :goofy:

Try cleaning the inside where it slides in. Otherwise, consider leaving it out....LOUD EXHAUSTS SAVE LIVES!

Mine has been out for 3 years, not failed an MoT and sounds very nice!

Thanks guys. It literally can't be pushed in at the moment, but I'll try cleaning (if warming it up doesn't work). I might end up leaving it out, but I'd like to see how it sounds with it in. I live in a narrow terraced street that's a bit of an echo-box.

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, HareBrain said:

.....but I'd like to see how it sounds with it in.

Too quiet 😆

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, VFR4Me said:

What's an MoT?

Stands for Ministry of Transport (Test), an olde English term for a UK government organisation which no longer exists requiring an annual test of roadworthiness that all vehicles must pass on their 3rd and subsequent birthdays.

9 hours ago, VFR4Me said:

What's an MoT?

That reminds me ...

On 10/25/2019 at 5:39 PM, Thumbs said:

I just push mine in for the MOT and remove it after

Mine came with a new MOT with baffle out, so it can't be necessary. But do you not bother using the bolt? That looks like a real PITA to do up.

1 hour ago, Skids said:

Ministry of Transport (Test), an olde English term for a UK government organisation which no longer exists

I bet loads of younger drivers say MOT without having a clue what it stands for. It's a bit like the save icon being a 3.5" floppy.

On 10/25/2019 at 1:04 PM, HareBrain said:

ETA: just occurred to me that maybe it would be easier when it's been running and the exhaust is hot and has expanded a bit.

Nope.

Experimenting with swapping the baffle in and out (as far as I can get it) and the engine running, it muffles the bass, but this is only noticeable when idling. Doesn't sound much different at all when revved. I can't imagine I'll be doing many 4am starts on it, so it should be OK left out.

Archived