Bd40 rear shock install on 07 clearing pcv stay

triharder

Question

Anybody deal with this on a vfr.

The bd40 reservoir lives on the shifter side of bike.  But the pcv stay item 9 is already located where the hose needs to go.

anybody have an easy solution

07 vfr non abs 

I.m wondering if a 90 degree fitting woukd clear.

I.d rather not remove subframe, rear fender and exhaust unless somebody has had this issue and has proven the hose clears with top mount tightened?

Thanks

20191024_135422.jpg

Screenshot_20191024-213403_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20191024-211558_Chrome.jpg

7 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

I will be watching with interest to the solution as I have just ordered one for my 2002 non ABS. Can’t you just turn the shock 180 degrees so the oil reservoir comes out on the other side So it doesn’t  interfere with the PCV mounting bracket?

Called Jamie  yesterday,

he said he intended the shock to have reservior on the shifter side.

I think this stay would be exactly in the way on the other side too and you won't have enough hose lenght to mount to subframe on that side.  Although i didn't try it (i have a lot of electrical stuff ont hat side for heated grips, gps, powerlet etc).

the 90 degree fitting would make this a 1 hour job instead of the day it will take the remove the entire rear end of the bike. 

**Make sure you have a jack and be ready to put the swingarm up and down a bunch,  remove the top shock mount nut from under the tank,  remove the dogbone (as it won't clear without it removed).  I also marred up the spring coating as was frustrated and the swingarm keep landing on it. (might consider painters tape or going way slower when you install). 

these brackets changed year to year so the 2002 may not be an intereference or an issue.  

I will follow up when i have a solution.

I'm working with DMR having the straight fitting swapped with 45 degree fitting.

Marooncobra

You might consider doing the same at construction of the shock.  To really see the bracket i had to pull the battery and the rear seat mechanism lock barrel,  

I guess i'd start at the microfiche for the 2002 and see if its the same.

(jamie said he did have old emails of similar problems, but the end user was able to modify the bracket). 

Why are you replacing the Ohlins?  (besides the maintenance costs)

• Member Contributer

I will send Jamie an email.

I am swapping the Ohlins as it was on the bike when I bought it and the spring is rated for a much lighter rider. It also has no seperate oil reservoir although it does have an external spring Rate adjuster. By the time I take it out, have it serviced, change the spring I might as well get Jamie’s shock. I already have his front internals and have been total amazed at the change and standard of his workmanship. 

I have an ohlins on my recently sold track bike and my CBR.  To rebuild a normal (non-ohlins shock) is roughly 90 bucks including parts and oil,  To rebuild an Ohlins shock using there oil and materials was $175 bucks each time i have the track bike shock serviced,  that was with a 25% special the shop runs in the winter up here North of Boston, MA in southern maine.

I have seen some ohlins shocks with both the preload hydraulic collar and the oil reservoir.   I'm surprised your's didnt have both.

I wonder if that preload collar would be worth transferring from the Ohlins to the BD40?  As the spring most likely will be the same size and all that thing is doing is pushing the spring down with hydraulics?  (just a thought).

I wish this bracket wasn't an issue as the install is pretty easy as long as you pull the top mount bolt and the dogbone,  i pulled the rear tire so i could use my jack on the swingarm to lift and lower.

I'm hoping to get some shipping information back from Jamie soon.  My season is pretty much over  unless i can get this thing on the road in the next week or two. 

• Member Contributer

I can’t fathom not servicing an Ohlins for ~$200, but, replacing it with someone’s housebrand shock they don’t manufacture for even more money. 

• Member Contributer
On 10/28/2019 at 1:44 AM, ducnut said:

I can’t fathom not servicing an Ohlins for ~$200, but, replacing it with someone’s housebrand shock they don’t manufacture for even more money. 

Ducnut,

Cost in Australia is far greater than US for servicing the shock and supply of new spring from Ohlins servicing centre. Replacing with Jamie’s BD40, which is actually designed by him and the majority of parts are manufactured by him, is my best option. I can sell the Ohlins on flea bay and save my initial costs.

Archived