Mounting Swingarm Spools On An 86 VFR750F

tomk1960

• Member Contributer

Now that I'm done with my previous restoration, it's time to dig into my 86 VFR750F.  Since it has no center stand and I have very little chance of finding one, I want to mount spools on the swingarm so I can use my Pit Bull.  If anyone here has suggestions on how to do it, please reply.  I don't know if the swingarm itself is thick enough to drill and tap, so maybe I need to machine a couple of threaded mounts to weld onto the bottom of each side?  Anyway, you know what I'm looking for, so feel free to chime in.  Pictures are always welcome.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, gll429 said:

just run an alltread rod through the rear axle and add the bobbins to that..

wha ?? that bloody axle isn't hollow like alot of modern bikes. 😒  

march_17_071.thumb.JPG.5f9dfeb51e1222354cd101720d6dc797.JPG

• Member Contributer

The 86 rear axle is hollow.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Honda-VFR750F-Interceptor-Rear-Axle-86/281659679255?hash=item419439a217:g:hJ0AAOSwxYxUseqc

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Honda-VFR750F-Interceptor-Rear-Axle-86/281659679255?hash=item419439a217:g:hJ0AAOSwxYxUseqc

As gll429 mentioned above, run a rod through the axle. On my 85 R I used a solid rod, think it was 10mm and threaded one end then tapped my bobbin and screwed it on, Ran the rod through the axle, think I needed to ream a few imperfections, measured, cut and repeated the same one the other end.

On my 97 front axle I just tapped either end and used a flat head socket screw for attachment.

I have 4 paddock stands and they all have the both the spool and flat attachments, but the flats are nowhere as secure as the spools which is why I fitted them.

Good luck.

DSCF3345.JPG

DSCF3342.JPG

DSCF3347.JPG

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, squirrelman said:

sorry, but i believe that both axles on MY '86 VFR's are not hollow but i may be wrong. 😒

Rear is hollow enough to store nuts in.

• Member Contributer
On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 4:48 PM, FromMaine said:

The 86 rear axle is hollow.

As gll429 mentioned above, run a rod through the axle. On my 85 R I used a solid rod, think it was 10mm and threaded one end then tapped my bobbin and screwed it on, Ran the rod through the axle, think I needed to ream a few imperfections, measured, cut and repeated the same one the other end.

On my 97 front axle I just tapped either end and used a flat head socket screw for attachment.

I have 4 paddock stands and they all have the both the spool and flat attachments, but the flats are nowhere as secure as the spools which is why I fitted them.

Good luck.

DSCF3345.JPG

DSCF3342.JPG

DSCF3347.JPG

I love this approach - this is the route I'll take.  Thanks!

Maybe I missed something... How can you not weld a bung or spool onto the swingarm.  Unless you have no welding skills?  I've seen braced swingarms.  Here is a pic of my Honda RS 125 and that swingarm is thin!!!!  Just curious.....

IMG_20191026_204537.jpg

• Member Contributer

You didn't miss much.   Honda welded fairly thick tabs for the chain guard no problem too.  I have a swingarm from a parts lot I bought that the chain guard tab broke off in a crash and the weld and swingarm are still perfect.  The chain guard still had the tab held by the bolt and the chain guard is still good too somehow.

The only thing you missed was your aluminum polish.  Hah!  🙂

12 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

You didn't miss much.   Honda welded fairly thick tabs for the chain guard no problem too.  I have a swingarm from a parts lot I bought that the chain guard tab broke off in a crash and the weld and swingarm are still perfect.  The chain guard still had the tab held by the bolt and the chain guard is still good too somehow.

The only thing you missed was your aluminum polish.  Hah!  🙂

DAMN that phone camera!  That bike has been sitting on F/R stands on the work table in my living room.  Could use a bath

shamefully and humbly i'm admitting to the entire VFR universe, all 7 continents, and all the ships at sea that i was wrong, wrong, wrong. it does have hollow axles. SORRY ! 😮

i've only been working on  VFR's for 29 years but shoulda known better.

oct_15---18_001.JPG

• Member Contributer

The axle is hollow, but it tapers down to a smaller I.D. approx. .5" in from the threaded end.  (probably so that the end doesn't squish in when the nut is torqued?)  The threaded rod I used slipped through nicely until I reached that point, so I cut some threads in the very end to resolve that issue.  The spools are on, but unfortunately, my PitBull is not tall enough to life the wheel completely off the ground.  Not a big deal since this setup is only good for servicing the chain anyway.  I've ordered a different rear wheel stand that doesn't require spools and will allow for wheel removal.

16 hours ago, squirrelman said:

shamefully and humbly i'm admitting to the entire VFR universe, all 7 continents, and all the ships at sea that i was wrong, wrong, wrong. it does have hollow axles. SORRY ! 😮

i've only been working on  VFR's for 29 years but shoulda known better.

oct_15---18_001.JPG

LMFAO!!   I'm coming over and you better have more beer!

2 hours ago, tomk1960 said:

The axle is hollow, but it tapers down to a smaller I.D. approx. .5" in from the threaded end.  (probably so that the end doesn't squish in when the nut is torqued?)  The threaded rod I used slipped through nicely until I reached that point, so I cut some threads in the very end to resolve that issue.  The spools are on, but unfortunately, my PitBull is not tall enough to life the wheel completely off the ground.  Not a big deal since this setup is only good for servicing the chain anyway.  I've ordered a different rear wheel stand that doesn't require spools and will allow for wheel removal.

No offense, but if it only lifts it just enough to lube the chain and you have to buy another stand so you can remove the tire, than it sounds like a waste of time and effort.  A couple of welds below the swingarm and bam, your in business.  But hey I'm glad the axle is hollow.

On 10/22/2019 at 8:40 PM, squirrelman said:

metal is thin on swingarm, not ok for drilling or welding, so find a rear stand with flat plates that go under.

You do realize the factory welded it together, right? 

I've welded beer cans together on a dare. No reason a competent welder couldn't add a threaded boss to a swingarm. 

Rivnuts/Nutserts would be my go-to non welded option, although I've also machined lift hooks with custom axle blocks for them to bolt to. Both options are preferable to a through-axle mount, simply for the convenience of being able to remove the wheel while on the lift. 

• Member Contributer

I'm pretty happy with my front and rear stand combination, the rear just lifts the swingarm using rubber pads on metal angles that can be adusted for width. And the front lifts directly on the steering head via a pin inserted into the stem. It's a fantastic combination until you want to remove the swingarm/shock or the steering head. 

IMG_0218.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Archived