White love...

Dutchy

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
16 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

With that flag in the background, "White love" has another meaning.

Now you have me hoping the suspension is not White Power (WP)........   :goofy:

PS: WP is now Austrian KTM owned but was founded in the Netherlands. The springs were white, not because white is better; simply because they could have them coated economically.... Via a company that made hospital beds... :tongue:

• Member Contributer

I really should ship that bike over here.  I miss her badly.  Not having her around makes me do crazy things like plan to put V8s in vans.

Just as soon as I figure out where "here" will be... (Muscat, Amsterdam and Zurich have all been possibilities this year.)

Ciao,

JZH

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On 11/20/2019 at 2:17 AM, Dutchy said:

You mean like this one? :goofy:

P3031758.thumb.jpg.52f68554c8f3d60bc5684f1cf5978643.jpg

I think you need a bigger security chain🤔

Rear wheel finished and installed.. Subframe got a new coat of black.

Routed the wirring loom throughout the tail and installed all the electrics..

One question, does the wiring loom on the handlebar controls pass in front or go behind the front fork leg ???

18.JPG

The trick with the lcd swap withen the cluster did the trick. Allthough the donor bikes cluster was trashed, the lcd was still in good condition. Swapped the LCD's out en presto, the mileage went down from 106,000 kilometers to 29,000 kilometers. I never owned a bike with that a low odo reading.

18.jpg

• Member Contributer

Top job!

Bit surprised no 5th gen owner answered your wiring question..... :angry:

• Member Contributer
On 2/3/2020 at 11:19 PM, TheDutchy said:

One question, does the wiring loom on the handlebar controls pass in front or go behind the front fork leg ???

Same "sewing" as with the VFR 750 🙂 wire looms goes behind - see illustration from the shop manual976127154_Skrmbillede2020-02-09kl_18_45_39.png.24bb85feb2c1f71ec91cd9ce009db325.png

7 minutes ago, RC36B said:

Same "sewing" as with the VFR 750 🙂 wire looms goes behind - see illustration from the shop manual

Thanks,RC36B my manual wasn't as clear as your pic.. I did install them behind the legs, so I am assured it is good.. 

Also the bands on the cluster / frame stay wiring make sense now.. They are welded upward, like (to me) Honda installed them wrong way around..  You have to fold them down against it's welding position to hold the wiring.. Weird..

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, TheDutchy said:

Thanks,RC36B my manual wasn't as clear as your pic.. I did install them behind the legs, so I am assured it is good.. 

Also the bands on the cluster / frame stay wiring make sense now.. They are welded upward, like (to me) Honda installed them wrong way around..  You have to fold them down against it's welding position to hold the wiring.. Weird..

"Ours not to reason why..."

I guess the wires moves more controlled/predictable with this setup.

Nice project... 🙂 

22 minutes ago, RC36B said:

"Ours not to reason why..."

I guess the wires moves more controlled/predictable with this setup.

Nice project... 🙂 

Thanks,

The reason why I got puzzled, was that the 2000 onward model has a different top mount and handlebars. The locking bolts are in a different position. The handlebars between the pre 2000 model without HISS and the 2000 onward models with HISS are different, and not exchangeable.  

• Member Contributer
On 2/1/2020 at 4:52 PM, TheDutchy said:

The bike has been stripped down to the bone… It's engine..

10.jpg

That is absolutely horrendous. What a labor of love to clean that up.

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, TheDutchy said:

Thanks,

The reason why I got puzzled, was that the 2000 onward model has a different top mount and handlebars. The locking bolts are in a different position. The handlebars between the pre 2000 model without HISS and the 2000 onward models with HISS are different, and not exchangeable.  

And different switch left side (no choke)

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 2:07 PM, RC36B said:

And different switch left side (no choke)

She got the manual back again.. The throttle housing on the 2000 model looked like a nightmare to revive. Everything is corroded. Also it requires the coolant recirculation, so different waterpipes and thermostat housing..

For know I installed the throttle housiing of the donor bike. So the cable is back.. I saved all the parts to install that back in the near future, but for now it is working..

IIRC the cable isn't realy a choke, it is a fast idle function..

Thanks for your input, it is well received..

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, TheDutchy said:

Also it requires the coolant recirculation, so different waterpipes and thermostat housing

Yeah... the ECU is kind of primitive - the "choke" lever or the later vax-unit is ridiculous. Should have been a servo controlled by the ECU. The ECU already have sensors (coolant temp, crank sensor, MAP etc) to decide on idle. I never understood why Honda chose a solution which didn't use components already there.

The doner engine looks like a nightmare you fished out of the harbour - how did you win the battle getting the engine to look that good?

Archived