1998 vfr f 800 actual charging voltage

lawnmowerman

• Member Contributer

hello im not a home for a couple of days does any one have the actual numbers that the manual says the voltage should be  on a 1998 honda vfr 800 fi , my honda mechanic told me the voltage should drop while the bike is running , from like 14.2 to like 13.2 at 5000 rpms , i dont believe that i think he just cant figure out the problem. than lawnmower man

• Member Contributer

Excerpts from the manual are attached. The voltage should start at whatever the battery is putting out, and then rise up to the regulated voltage as the alternator puts out more and more energy as it spins to higher rpm. If the voltage is dropping back to the battery voltage then that might suggest a failing regulator/rectifier.

batt2.png

batt1.png

• Member Contributer

Thank you for this reply. I am a EMT and i work for 60 hours straight, so i could not get home to get my manual. Now do i confront my local power sports dealer  with this and tell him that he is wrong and to read the manual ? I don't mean to be a know it all but it should not idle at 14.2  and 13.2 at 5000 RPM. i am angry because i am paying him for his knowledge and expertise. thank you  Lawnmower man

• Member Contributer

I can tell you with confidence that my two bikes with voltmeters fitted show a lower voltage (the battery voltage) at idle (low 13s) and then hit a steady higher voltage (usually around 14.2V) once the revs rise, and then don't change at all with any higher revs. Are you sure you're getting the right info and that the numbers have not been switched around?

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, lawnmowerman said:

Thank you for this reply. I am a EMT and i work for 60 hours straight, so i could not get home to get my manual. Now do i confront my local power sports dealer  with this and tell him that he is wrong and to read the manual ? I don't mean to be a know it all but it should not idle at 14.2  and 13.2 at 5000 RPM. i am angry because i am paying him for his knowledge and expertise. thank you  Lawnmower man

I'd trust Terry's info and experience long before most dealers. Also the service manual doesn't lie.

• Member Contributer

14.5V constant no matter what engine speed. 14.4V when the radiator fan kicks on and high beam. LED lights all around. Wire my bike vfrness, voltmeter, fuse block with grounding block, and Rick's electric reg/rec.IMG_0023.thumb.JPEG.936a849f5fdc5597938b56960098e537.JPEG

• 7 months later...
  • Member Contributer

That's a very tidy job. Wish my plastic looked that good.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Archived