Ignition Cycle / Water Temp Lamp Test

Hi all,

Wondering if I can have some help please - clearly I have too much time on my hands as I was going over the bike with a fine tooth comb and making a list of everything I need to get it looking mint.. while checking everything on the instrument cluster was working (all pixels looks good) I noticed that at no point during the cluster test turning the key through the ignition cycle from “off” to “on” did the water temp bulb illuminate. Engine light, oil warning light, abs light, neutral light all lit up, but water temp no.

I know there are others that don’t come on during ignition cycle like; indicators, main beam.. but those I can check by flicking switches. How do I check my water temp bulb isn’t duff?

Normally I’d already be suspecting the bulb is toast, but I have a buddy who also has a VFR12F (VIN assembly line buddies with my bike as it happens) and his water temp light has never illuminated in the 3yrs he’s had it. Been all over Europe in fact, not a niggle.

Can someone else please check their bike to see if the water temp bulb comes on at all?

Honda (confident that the bike would never overheat) perhaps decided to save some money on cluster bulbs..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
On 10/3/2019 at 5:19 AM, RedlineDrifter said:

Hi all,

Wondering if I can have some help please - clearly I have too much time on my hands as I was going over the bike with a fine tooth comb and making a list of everything I need to get it looking mint.. while checking everything on the instrument cluster was working (all pixels looks good) I noticed that at no point during the cluster test turning the key through the ignition cycle from “off” to “on” did the water temp bulb illuminate. Engine light, oil warning light, abs light, neutral light all lit up, but water temp no.

I know there are others that don’t come on during ignition cycle like; indicators, main beam.. but those I can check by flicking switches. How do I check my water temp bulb isn’t duff?

Normally I’d already be suspecting the bulb is toast, but I have a buddy who also has a VFR12F (VIN assembly line buddies with my bike as it happens) and his water temp light has never illuminated in the 3yrs he’s had it. Been all over Europe in fact, not a niggle.

Can someone else please check their bike to see if the water temp bulb comes on at all?

Honda (confident that the bike would never overheat) perhaps decided to save some money on cluster bulbs.. emoji2371.png

The Instrument Panel warning lights are actually LED's Far more reliable than"bulbs".

The Overheat LED is driven by the ECT (Engine Coolant Temp sensor).  With my 8gen when I turn the Ignition to ON the Overheat LED does Illuminate for a short test period.

Perhaps some other 7gen owners could chime in and advise if they ever get the Overheat Light to test at Ignition On! I understand you wanting confidence in the LED working should you ever have a real O/Heat situation.

Attached is a method of testing the O/Heat LED from the Service Manual.

Coolant Sensor.JPG

I understand you wanting confidence in the LED working should you ever have a real O/Heat situation.

Exactly!

Attached is a method of testing the O/Heat LED from the Service Manual.

Wow, so it can only be tested with a jumper wire!? Ok, good to know. I’ll see if I can give that a try. Would’ve expected a circuit check as part of the ignition cycle TBH (as is the case with your 8th gen) but well, I agree ; let’s see if some 7th gen members can add their contribution on this topic.

Thanks for the excerpts from the manual

• Member Contributer

Well it is only an OVER temp warning, as in the engine temperature is now critical. This should NEVER light in normal use if the cooling system has coolant & the fan system & coolant pump are working. Find something else to worry about. You have a temp gauge for a reason if that didn’t work then you can worry about the lamp.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Well it is only an OVER temp warning, as in the engine temperature is now critical. This should NEVER light in normal use if the cooling system has coolant & the fan system & coolant pump are working. Find something else to worry about. You have a temp gauge for a reason if that didn’t work then you can worry about the lamp.

Hmmm. Stone through the radiator, seen that happen. Split in a hose, seen that happen too. The O/Heat LED may draw your attention quickly to a situation you just might not be aware of, and a rising temperature gauge in certain riding conditions may not be noticed by the time its too late.

I'm glad my VFR has it, and to know that it was operational at least the last time I'd turned the ignition on. Sure, the O/Heat LED was never meant for a normal use, normal situations, that goes without saying! But, it's an additional serious advisory of the abnormal temperature that requires immediate attention, and might just save your engine. 

Just my thoughts YMMV.

• Member Contributer

As a pilot I got to say any last ditch system is worth nothing if operation can't be verified (like the 737 MAX). In that case it only adds false sense of security. I know, it's not a aircraft you crash but to me not crashing the engine is kind of important 🙂

On my old 4th gen, the low fuel level light is checked when ignition is turned on (note, only a bulb check - not a system check) - I would really be unhappy if that was not the case as I'm sure I would have ended on the side of the road on several occasions.

As a pilot I got to say any last ditch system is worth nothing if operation can't be verified (like the 737 MAX). In that case it only adds false sense of security. I know, it's not a aircraft you crash but to me not crashing the engine is kind of important
On my old 4th gen, the low fuel level light is checked when ignition is turned on (note, only a bulb check - not a system check) - I would really be unhappy if that was not the case as I'm sure I would have ended on the side of the road on several occasions.

As an ex-military man myself I’m sharing the same train of thought there RC, 100%.

Bumpity bump!
Thread still open for other VFR 7th gen owners to check their ignition cycle and report in please..

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, RedlineDrifter said:

Unfortunately I don’t have a wiring diagram emoji53.png

Hi RedlineDrifter.

You can download the full service manual from this site. Complete with wiring diagram. I'm with you regards knowing this important LED is operational.

Run the test as per the Service Manual - ECT Sensor is located up near the thermostat housing with the throttle bodies, sorry not that easy to get at!

Cheers.

• Member Contributer

I found the wiring diagram. Not really possible to tell from the diagram if ECT includes a bulb test but looking at the sensor, I seriously doubt it. Also, from reading the user manual, other warning lights include information that light go on when ignition is turned on. That information is not noted for the high temp light.

• Member Contributer
On 4 October 2019 at 8:29 PM, RC36B said:

I found the wiring diagram. Not really possible to tell from the diagram if ECT includes a bulb test but looking at the sensor, I seriously doubt it. Also, from reading the user manual, other warning lights include information that light go on when ignition is turned on. That information is not noted for the high temp light.

Have to agree after reading the owners manual the O/Heat LED doesn't seem to be part of the Ignition On self test. Which is probably why the LED test by grounding the Gray/Red wire of the ECT is in the Service Manual.

Might be easier if you can locate the Black 6P connector, and Ground the Gray/Red wire at this location rather than diving into the throttle body area where the ECT is located.

image.png

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Grum said:

Might be easier if you can locate the Black 6P connector, and Ground the Green/Red wire at this location rather than diving into the throttle body area where the ECT is located.

image.png

I assume a small typo... it should be the Gray/Red wire 🙂

• Member Contributer
4 minutes ago, Grum said:

Woops you are correct, my fault Yes Gray/Red wire Will correct that. :wacko: Old age and colour blindness creeping up on me!:fing02:

To be honest, I only noticed because I always make the same interpretation mistake and start throwing tools because I can't find that stupid GREEN wire - which of course is GRAY!

• 1 month later...

Bumpity bump!
Thread still open for other VFR 7th gen owners to check their ignition cycle and report in please..

On my bike it's not coming on with ignition.

I have over 115kkm on the bike and have never seen it light tgh.

Archived