Odd Problems with LCD Display

JLSmith6212

My 2000 VFR800fi with under 18k miles is having an odd issue with the LCD display, more specifically with the odometer and time displays. The LCD as a whole works fine. When the ignition is turned on the odometer comes up 888,888.8 as it should so i know its not a problem with the lcd display itself but then when it should flip over to display the total mileage it just goes blank and displays nothing. I want to try to find a fix and not replace the display with a used one because of the very low mileage and the fact that from what ive read the mileage is held in the LCD assembly. As a possibly related but less important issue the time display will occasionally reset and need to be reprogrammed. I replaced the battery since these issues started and i keep it on a tender regularly. I tried re-seating connections on the cluster with no luck. If anyone has had this issue or has any suggestions what to look for I would really appreciate the help. 

Thanks

• Member Contributer

You might have an earthing issue. The main earth block is below the seat on the left side, it's a rectangular block that may be taped up. Bad connections within this block cause all sorts of issues. Best to cut the block out and solder all wires together you could include an additional wire and properly ground it to frame, then re assess your instrument panel after that. Search the site for 5th gen grounding issues for extra info.

Your mention of the clock resetting sounds like a loss of power, most likely the ground side so check that ground block first.

Good Luck.

These pictures are from a 6gen the 5gen is similar just in a different location.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Agreed  ^ ^ ^ . 

You can use Oxgard on terminals to improve conductivity - it is a conductive paste that also helps prevent oxidation.

• Member Contributer

Found some pictures on what to look for on the 5gen. Hope this helps. As you can see an additional wire has been added and goes to a good ground point or the battery Neg terminal.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 1 month later...

I think that had the same problem.  Everything worked except the total miles display.
I purchased a used instrument console from England. (The cover uses green turn signal lenses vs amber and the temps are centigrade.)  By swapping LCD circuit boards and consoles, I narrowed the problem down to the original circuit board. I sent both circuit boards to OdoPro in Littleton, CO.
The memory chip on the original circuit board was bad, so Peter put the correct mileage on my replacement circuit board. He said that he could replace the damaged memory chip and load it, but he would have to order one of the older chips.
He provided excellent service with quick turn arounds and replys to emails.

https://www.odo-pro.com/digital-mileage-correction.html

The time resetting means that the power to the LCD circuit board clock is interrupted.  Circuit does not go through key switch.  You can take the LCD circuit board and apply 12v to the 3 screw holes on the left side and ground on the lower right side to check the operation.

98 VFR LCD Module.JPG

98 VFR LCD CB.JPG

Archived