Center stand and Chain/sprockets question

Tiutis

1. My center stand and side stand are  little slow to revert back to the original position. It still does it but it does not have the pop to it. Does the spring need to be changed?

2.Does anyone replace a chain without replacing sprockets or is it a big no no? My sprockets look good by my chain looks like it’s running out of adjustment. 23K on both: chain and sprockets.

• Member Contributer

Found my side stand gets a fair amount of chain lubes deposited into it which slows down its operation. A good squirt of wd40 around the mounting bolt does the trick. Do the same for the center stand.

For years I've gone two chains to a set of sprockets. Provided you have been diligent in checking and maintaining proper tension and lubricating your chain the sprockets should be fine.

My current original sprockets are on the second chain, and after 68,000k's an inspection the other month of the front sprocket looked perfect! I am truly a non believer of the "sprockets must be replaced with every chain" mentality. YMMV.

• Member Contributer

Squirt some GT85 in the pivot points and it will be like it should be.  GT85 is a relatively unknown jewel for lubrication and penetrations.  Bicycle shops use it a lot and I've found it's good for about anything needing penetration and good lubrication.  Much better product than WD40.  

Archived