Rear Sprocket Questions

skymon

• Member Contributer

I know this is kind of nit picky but...

I want to replace my rear sprocket (and front and chain of course) and I want specifically to get:

530 pitch/width

43T

Plated Steel ("Silver")

Not "Double Drilled"  (hole patterns for both 5th and 6th gen)

Its a little difficult to be sure that a given manufacturer has exactly what I want because the photos tend to be generic or just old. 

Looks like my choices are these:

JT               JTR1340.43                                  double drilled

Sunstar        2-569443                                    pictures vary

OEM         41201-MBG-000                           pictures vary

Anybody know how to source exactly what I want?

p.s.    The one I'm replacing has a mysterious pt. number.  Wonder if anyone knows its manufacturer.  (see photo)  And yes, I was asking about sourcing the "dampened" front sprocket months ago.  I'm moving pretty slow on this.  🙂

IMG_6961.JPG

• Member Contributer

5th and 6th gens have the same hole pattern, I think the extra holes are just there for weight reduction. 

I don’t remember seeing a sprocket with no extra holes. 

Everyone wants less unsprung weight, not more. 

• Member Contributer

I feel your pain!  I wanted a little bit of control over the appearance of the rear sprocket on my Yellow Peril (5th gen), and I ended up getting a very simple, very expensive (and very late) custom sprocket from Sidewinder Sprockets...

P1030250x.thumb.jpg.efa502faaac8a1f813e25ef0edf533f0.jpg

Based on internet reports, I got lucky/unlucky to have actually received a sprocket from Sidewinder Sprockets (Krause Racing).  I doubt it is made from any kind of titanium alloy as was claimed.  At least it looks good!

You can buy sprocket "blanks", and get a friendly machinist to machine holes in it.  I did this for my RC36's custom rear sprocket, but you'd have to find someone local to you (my guy doesn't even have an email address--I had to call him!)

1596277865_2016-05-1222_08_33y.thumb.jpg.f00fa742d4e647a20d0db97f93bad3ce.jpg

However, he talked me into giving him the blank and selling me a laser cut stainless steel sprocket he had sourced from somewhere else:

1288997111_2016-11-0910_31_30x.thumb.jpg.2eea73616664054f0713d6d870812906.jpg

OEM is probably your best bet if you can't buy in person.  Good luck.

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer
23 hours ago, VFROZ said:

5th and 6th gens have the same hole pattern, I think the extra holes are just there for weight reduction. 

I don’t remember seeing a sprocket with no extra holes. 

Everyone wants less unsprung weight, not more. 

yup.   your're right about the 5th and 6th.  Guess the additional holes are for 3rd and 4th.

From sprocket center:  "*This part number is double drilled with two bolt patterns so it fits all VFR 750/800 models from 1990-2014. "

• Member Contributer

Thanks JHZ.    That at least rules out the "Titanium" from Sidewinder/Krause.   🙂      (Mainly I just don't want black paint.  Some of the JTs come that way.)  

I could do my own holes.  I do have a mill and a rotary table.  But before I spent all this time hemming and hawing I thought I didn't want to go to any "trouble". 

Once again, I'm sure I'm over-thinking it.

I've lived with extra holes for years without really even noticing.

• Member Contributer
On 9/29/2019 at 9:37 PM, Fritzer said:

JZH.  Where did you get that carbon fibre inner rear fender?  I would like to have one.

Well, it's an RC30 rear hugger from Durbahn in Germany, so only an option if you've got an RC30 swing arm--or an RC30!

Ciao,

JZH

Archived