Passenger seat cowling standard?

Macca

I'm having the reverse problem. There's a bike I'm thinking of buying, but it only has the cowling, not the normal pillion seat. I can't find used examples anywhere, even ebay, and the Honda parts catalogue prices it at £221!

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, HareBrain said:

I'm having the reverse problem. There's a bike I'm thinking of buying, but it only has the cowling, not the normal pillion seat. I can't find used examples anywhere, even ebay, and the Honda parts catalogue prices it at £221!

Ask whoever your buying it off for the seat.  If they haven’t got it deduct price of it from final sale cost.

On 10/5/2019 at 11:46 PM, Grum said:

Hi All.

Just for info. My bike arrives at the dealership early August 2014. Pillion seat and grab handles fitted.

That's how they're all delivered as far as I know, seat and handles fitted and cowl and blanking plates separately in the box, which is why so many go astray or don't get handed over.

Quick update VFR lovers,

I got hold of HONDA EPM in Melbourne, after initial push back 'oh no, the cowling didn't come standard with the bike till after your MY', i emailed the set up instructions Grum offered up for the 8th Gen, highlighting the part.

To add further weight i rang around a few Honda dealers in the meantime and located one at Hawkesbury who vouched 100% they came with thw cowling new.

Sure enough Honda EPM agreed it was meant to ship with the part and emailed confirmation as such, so i can take it to the dealer i bought the bike from.

Im about to make contact with the dealer.

Thanks again Grum and everyone else who has offered advice in this thread.

Not a win as yet, but im cautiously optimistic

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Macca said:

Quick update VFR lovers,

I got hold of HONDA EPM in Melbourne, after initial push back 'oh no, the cowling didn't come standard with the bike till after your MY', i emailed the set up instructions Grum offered up for the 8th Gen, highlighting the part.

To add further weight i rang around a few Honda dealers in the meantime and located one at Hawkesbury who vouched 100% they came with thw cowling new.

Sure enough Honda EPM agreed it was meant to ship with the part and emailed confirmation as such, so i can take it to the dealer i bought the bike from.

Im about to make contact with the dealer.

Thanks again Grum and everyone else who has offered advice in this thread.

Not a win as yet, but im cautiously optimistic

Good one Macca. The Honda dealership OR Honda MPE should be organising and supplying you the cowl and pillion handle blanking covers ASAP, no questions asked, as well as offering you an apology for your inconvenience. Keep Pushing Macca and keep us posted as to how you get on.

Cheers.:beer:

P.S  - A buddy of mine has just picked up a new Africa Twin, the dealership lost one of the keys, and once home did a check for the tool kit, no tool kit as well! It's all too often I hear of this crap customer support, and pathetic bike preparation and pre delivery. These dealerships, I assume sell bikes daily, how simple it should be to have a bike properly readied for the customer - it's a bloody disgrace!

• Member Contributer

If It had been my bike It would have been rejected at point of source and told to get it rectified ASAP.  Its rare that I buy a bike from a dealer, 3 in past 35 years, but each time they have handed over paperwork in manuals and receipts, spare keys and checked their numbers, lifted the seat to show tool kit when doing a walk round with me. 

I know mistakes can happen, but its also up to new owner to check as well. 

Latest update- i should of known better being optimistic, one phone call from the dealer and BOOM, had the rug pulled out from underneath me.

The dealership and coincidentally the bloke who actually sold me the bike in 2016 and on day of sale assured me it didnt come with a cowling when i asked, however when I rang up most recently he remembered the bike immediately and was adamant he would of given me the cowling as they came standard with the bike. Very strange he didnt do so, so he makes a call to Honda MPE to seek guidance or order the cowling.

Honda MPE have previously confirmed with me the 2016 VFR did in fact come with a cowling standard (only after initially telling me they didn't on 1st consult, at which point i emailed the instruction Grum provided as evidence and they promptly did a BACKFLIP).

Well now it turns out they were right the first time supposedly..... the 2014-15 came with a cowling......2016 DIDNT, 2017- 2018 did AS a bonus (not meant to but dealers threw in?)..

At any rate, it was a bit of a convoluted response from the dealer, passing on '2nd hand info'- I wouldnt want to be relying on that as evidence!

I'll give Honda MPE another ring tomorrow just to make sure the phone call actually happened/ get the story straight from the horses mouth.

See how it goes

On 10/5/2019 at 10:53 PM, Stan said:

I am putting the cowl up for sale at https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/183983220720 

Gday mate,

Pending how the phone call with Honda goes tomorrow (not  too optimistic haha) and if the cowl is still available thursday 17 Oct (Payday) ill 100% take it.

Cheers mate

PS- that aftermarket seat is sexy AF!

• Member Contributer

What a load of horse manure!!!    How to ensure a customer will never ever come back for a new purchase......

23 hours ago, Macca said:

Gday mate,

Pending how the phone call with Honda goes tomorrow (not  too optimistic haha) and if the cowl is still available thursday 17 Oct (Payday) ill 100% take it.

Cheers mate

PS- that aftermarket seat is sexy AF!

Good luck mate. Cheers!

Archived