Passenger seat cowling standard?

Macca

G'day VFR lovers,

Im looking for confirmation the 2016 VFR800 Deluxe comes standard with passenger seat cowling included?

My understanding is the Deluxe model (only option available in AUS) comes from the factory with the cowling in the spares kit.

When I purchased new i asked the dealer if it came with one, seeing the confusion immediately plastered accross his face he answered very dubiously in the negative.

As im looking to purchase a cowling and grab handle panels, its going to cost me $240 AUD! 

Before I call around other Honda dealers in Aus and ask the same question, i figure ill ask the Subject Matter Experts among you if you can confirm/ deny- Ive aleady had verbal confirmation from 1 Honda dealer yesterday they were meant to come standard with the cowling.

Country specific doesnt matter as i assume its model specific and all models would ship from factory regardless of destination with same spares kit?

Looking to line up all my ducks before I call my local dealer and send a rocket their way for the stuff around.

Cheers Legends

Macca

For some reason, this has been a point of confusion with most dealers. I asked the same when I bought my base model 2014 (in 2016) because the last remaining model on the floor had the rear seat and grab handles installed. It took him a while, but he did eventually find the rear seat cowl in his stock room. He told me when I picked up the bike that he learned all 2014+ VFRs come standard with the rear cowl (Base and Deluxe).

It seems that the problem is with some of the VFRs being left over for 2 or 3 years, they lose track of the uninstalled bits, and would rather tell you they were not included, than to try to find them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Hi Macca.

As far as I'm aware every new 8gen that came to Australia had the cowl and pillion grab handles. If you have any issues contact Honda MPE. I have the 8gen pre delivery instructions for my 2014, those items are mentioned in the documents.

Cheers

4 hours ago, 4corsa said:

For some reason, this has been a point of confusion with most dealers. I asked the same when I bought my base model 2014 (in 2016) because the last remaining model on the floor had the rear seat and grab handles installed. It took him a while, but he did eventually find the rear seat cowl in his stock room. He told me when I picked up the bike that he learned all 2014+ VFRs come standard with the rear cowl (Base and Deluxe).

It seems that the problem is with some of the VFRs being left over for 2 or 3 years, they lose track of the uninstalled bits, and would rather tell you they're were not included, than to try to find them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Cheers 4corsa.

Im not surprised in the least, makes sense- instead looking a bit silly being unsure or having to go look for all the assosciated kit, salespeople put it in the 'too hard basket' and dish out incorrect info, whether to save face or save effort. Bloody frustrating!

3 hours ago, Grum said:

Hi Macca.

As far as I'm aware every new 8gen that came to Australia had the cowl and pillion grab handles. If you have any issues contact Honda MPE. I have the 8gen pre delivery instructions for my 2014, those items are mentioned in the documents.

Cheers

Gday Grum

Cheers for the info!

I'll definitely be calling the dealer in short order and asking some questions.

If they give me any grief, I might msg you if you could provide a snap of the pre-delivery instructions that would be very helpful.

At any rate I will keep you all informed how if/ how much the dealer gives me the run around.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Macca said:

Gday Grum

Cheers for the info!

I'll definitely be calling the dealer in short order and asking some questions.

If they give me any grief, I might msg you if you could provide a snap of the pre-delivery instructions that would be very helpful.

At any rate I will keep you all informed how if/ how much the dealer gives me the run around.

Hi Macca.

No probs let me know if you'd like me to scan any of the Pre Delivery Docs. Also apart from the cowl, and pillion handles, you should also have the matching colour Left and Right Grab Rail Covers. Another one that often gets missed or lost! Is the Rubber Strap and clip that's under your seat used for holding down tool kit and accessories.

Just let me know if you need any documented stuff. The 2014 VFR800F Set Up and Pre Delivery Doc P/no 92MJM00 is a 16 page document.

Good Luck.

Cheers.:beer:

3 minutes ago, Grum said:

Hi Macca.

No probs let me know if you'd like me to scan any of the Pre Delivery Docs. Also apart from the cowl, and pillion handles, you should also have the matching colour Left and Right Grab Rail Covers. Another one that often gets missed or lost! Is the Rubber Strap and clip that's under your seat used for holding down tool kit and accessories.

Just let me know if you need any documented stuff. The 2014 VFR800F Set Up and Pre Delivery Doc P/no 92MJM00 is a 16 page document.

Good Luck.

Awesome cheers Grum, greatly appreciated!

Hopefully is all good, ill confirm the handle panels when they call back.

As for elastic & tool kit- theyre 100% in there, ive been using them intermittently this last week getting the battery out & on charge...batteries tend to die when not shown any loving for 12 months or so, surprised the tyres didn't have flat spots! After riding it last night/ today I know it wont be another 12 months till I throw a leg over again!

• Member Contributer
5 minutes ago, Macca said:

Awesome cheers Grum, greatly appreciated!

Hopefully is all good, ill confirm the handle panels when they call back.

As for elastic & tool kit- theyre 100% in there, ive been using them intermittently this last week getting the battery out & on charge...batteries tend to die when not shown any loving for 12 months or so, surprised the tyres didn't have flat spots! After riding it last night/ today I know it wont be another 12 months till I throw a leg over again!

Hi Macca.

Here's the important stuff. This is the complete parts list that comes with every Aussie VFR800F. Let me know if you need any further info, but this should be all the ammunition you need.

Cheers.

Set_Up_Parts002.jpg

43 minutes ago, Grum said:

Hi Macca.

Here's the important stuff. This is the complete parts list that comes with every Aussie VFR800F. Let me know if you need any further info, but this should be all the ammunition you need.

Cheers.

Set_Up_Parts002.jpg

Thanks heaps Grum!

I'll definitely be contacting the dealer with this info.

So if I was mentally prepared to spend the $240 anyways, I might as well stay committed and invest it in the bike elsewhere....

1 hour ago, Grum said:

Also apart from the cowl, and pillion handles, you should also have the matching colour Left and Right Grab Rail Covers

As I bought my VFR800F second hand, I never received these covers, unfortunately, because this is really nice when the pillion's handles are removed (and the passenger cowl is installed)...

1 hour ago, Grum said:

Hi Macca.

Cheers.

Set_Up_Parts002.jpg

Thanks heaps Grum!

I'll definitely be contacting the dealer with this info.

So if I was mentally prepared to spend the $240 anyways, I might as well stay committed and invest it in the bike elsewhere....

Ive spoken too soon, just had a call from Honda Australia, the Operator reckons it shipped as is standard direct from factory -i.e. without cowl.

Apparently cowls were shipped as spares for later models???, makes no sense at all haha.

Im emailing them the delivery parts list Grum sent through, see if I get anywhere. 

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Macca said:

Ive spoken too soon, just had a call from Honda Australia, the Operator reckons it shipped as is standard direct from factory -i.e. without cowl.

Apparently cowls were shipped as spares for later models???, makes no sense at all haha.

Im emailing them the delivery parts list Grum sent through, see if I get anywhere. 

Sounds like you've got a call from a receptionist who just doesn't know what he or she is talking about. Mine, a 2014 model, the first year of the 8gen and came with the cowl, and they are saying it only comes with the later models........ Bullshit.

The cowl is an integral part of the bike not just some accessory. Don't believe for one minute that the bike "shipped from factory without the cowl" sad you spoke to someone who has no idea and has not bothered to follow up with the right info.

Stand your ground with the dealership - see how you go.

NOTE- Part numbers MAY be relavent to my Victory Red Model, you'll need to check this with the dealership for correct colour part numbers relative to your bike.

32 minutes ago, Grum said:

Sounds like you've got a call from a receptionist who just doesn't know what he or she is talking about. Mine, a 2104 model, the first year of the 8gen and came with the cowl, and they are saying it only comes with the later models........ Bullshit.

The cowl is an integral part of the bike not just some accessory. Don't believe for one minute that the bike "shipped from factory without the cowl" sad you spoke to someone who has no idea and has not bothered to follow up with the right info.

Stand your ground with the dealership - see how you go.

NOTE- Part numbers MAY be relavent to my Victory Red Model, you'll need to check this with the dealership for correct colour part numbers relative to your bike.

Cheers mate,

I figured as much.

The person I was talking to couldnt even pronounce the model of the bike or grasp what a cowling was or the question I was asking, took about 4 attempts before the coin finally dropped.

Ive emailed the image you sent through which alone blows their argument out of the water.

Worst case if they still come back saying no, I will simply ask for a copy of the 2016 set up/ delivery instructions.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Grum said:

Hi Macca.

Good Luck.

Hi Grum I'd be interested in a copy  of the Set up Doc if you don't mind.

When I bought my 2007 and my 2015 I had to ask both times (And yes they did have them) The dealerships (Some not all) see a opportunity to resell them at cost to make money.  I had to ask for my tool kit too on the 2015 (which I thought was crazy) But when you buy the bike that is yours.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, fink said:

Hi Grum I'd be interested in a copy  of the Set up Doc if you don't mind.

Hi Fink.

I'll get around to it some time today, scan it to a pdf doc.

7 hours ago, ohwhell said:

When I bought my 2007 and my 2015 I had to ask both times (And yes they did have them) The dealerships (Some not all) see a opportunity to resell them at cost to make money.  I had to ask for my tool kit too on the 2015 (which I thought was crazy) But when you buy the bike that is yours.

It seems whenever buying a bike its pending dealer discretion/ knowledge as to what they include.

A few years before i got the VFR i bought a new harley davidson nightrod.

Come day of pick up the dealer handed over my keys and a couple bits n pieces (cleaning products) and off i went into the sunset.

It wasnt until I got home later and the euphoria had settled down I took stock of what I purchased and realised the dealer didnt include spares, servicing/ maintenance manual or even a spare key!

My fault for not picking up on it at the time but in my defence, the spares were the last thing on my mind.

Being motorbike dealers youd think they would have the selling process down to a fine art now

On 9/25/2019 at 10:41 PM, Macca said:

My understanding is the Deluxe model (only option available in AUS) comes from the factory with the cowling in the spares kit.

Same here. That's why you won't find the cowl in the brochure with optional accessories for the bike. You do however find installation instruction for the cowl in the user/owners manual, something you will not find for any of the optional accessories. Ask your dealer to show you the brochure that mentions the cowl.

3 hours ago, V4 Rosso said:

Same here. That's why you won't find the cowl in the brochure with optional accessories for the bike. You do however find installation instruction for the cowl in the user/owners manual, something you will not find for any of the optional accessories. Ask your dealer to show you the brochure that mentions the cowl.

Cheers mate, ive gone through the manual and found it.

I'll hit up Honda when they get back to me....eventually

• Member Contributer

I'm late to the conversation but I'll throw in my experience. When I bough my 2014 in 2016, the dealer did not include the solo cowl package. By the time I realized they were supposed to the dealer offered to order it for me at markup cost. So I bought it on ebay.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, lazyeye said:

I'm late to the conversation but I'll throw in my experience. When I bough my 2014 in 2016, the dealer did not include the solo cowl package. By the time I realized they were supposed to the dealer offered to order it for me at markup cost. So I bought it on ebay.

Me too 

Archived