When is a new bike old?

Blake

Hey Guys, not sure if this is the right forum....but. I”m having a look at a 2013 VFR1200f for 9999 with one mile. Is this a new bike i ask myself? 6 years old soon to be seven? Anyone have criteria for this type of thing. I bought a new 2014 800 in 2016 i think that seems ok. So is a six to seven year old bike that has not been ridden still new? The tires are probably cracked by now. 

Opinions??

thanks 

Blake

oh PS i want to sell my 1985 vr500f any takers?

My Monster wanted timing belts at 5 years, which it got. Only passed 13,000 mile the other day, but I am adding miles a lot faster than the first owner who did about 2,400 in 3 years.

It's a '14 and I don't consider it old. Looks pretty much new still. Keeping it in a garage slows down aging I think.

a 2013 VFR1200f for 9999 with one mile

I'd call it new old stock.

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, Sweeper said:

At six years old, ALL of the fluids and the tires need to be changed regardless of use. 

Plus the battery 

I got my 2015 just this year (2019) 4 years.  Yea its new but not this years model.  new as in never been used I'd guess.  mine was 12,999 reduced to 7999.  an the deluxe I said sure who would pass that up. 

• Member Contributer

My 2 cents.....

If the bike has been inside a dealership for that time, I would not hesitate to run the tires for say commuting. 

And yes change the hydraulic fluids right away

The oil?  I'd run for the first 1000km and then change anyway.

My Finnish friend Keny picked up a 2nd hand VF500F2 in 2015 with BT45's that were like 10+ years old. No dry cracks, plenty thread. Perfect for the 1,600km (in 23 hours :beer:) to the ferry in Stockholm.

The VF400F I picked up had BT45's with 05 and 06 DOT codes. No problem to give them some welly (on dry roads).

YMMV

• Member Contributer
On 9/24/2019 at 9:01 PM, Blake said:

oh PS i want to sell my 1985 vr500f any takers?

Sorry, my front garden space only holds 2 mc's...  (the wee 400 is gone..)

IMG_0009.thumb.JPG.6014e713495314bb4faa99f4a9d479c6.JPG

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Sorry, my front garden space only holds 2 mc's...  (the wee 400 is gone..)

IMG_0009.thumb.JPG.6014e713495314bb4faa99f4a9d479c6.JPG

That photo bought back some fond memories for me Dutchy. I owned a VF400F just like that one (same colour) when they were new in ... was it 83? 84? I graduated to this from a CBX400 and could not get over how fast the VF was by comparison. It once pulled up to 210km/hr down a long hill, much to the amazement of my mate on his GPz900 alongside. It also jumped out of gear from high revs on a full throttle and the rev counter went right around to "Made in Japan" but seemed to suffer no ill effects... My worst recollection of it was getting into a monumental tank slapper after going airborne over a hump-backed bridge at high speed (as you do when you're 20!) resulting in severely tweaked thumbs for a week or two. This just makes me want to add a smaller bike to my stable. 

• Member Contributer
On 9/24/2019 at 2:05 PM, Blake said:

Forgot to say the 1200f is marked down from 15,999. Like who would pay that anyway. 

All VFR's are old and obsolete.  I suspect one reason Honda doesn't sell them in the U. S. any longer is that people here have always had the "Like who would pay that anyway" attitude towards the bike.  It's a strange situation.  On two forums, people love VFR's but have never been willing to pay much for them.  V4's are heavy and cost more to make so wishing for a liter V4 bike that weighs 400# and costs 6K new isn't going to happen.  So, Honda, not being stupid, probably said "hell with it, we won't sell them any longer".  People that ride VFR's are fading away in the U. S. just like this forum is no longer active.  Enjoy them while they're here.   

• Member Contributer

Congratulations on your zero mile prize... the risk for an engine that
have been at rest for years is dry bearings at the rod and crank
journals along with the plain cam bearings... to insure against any
metal to metal contact at these critical junctions I would first spin
the oil pump independently of the starter which will distribute oil
from the sump and to crankshaft, rod and cam the journals... simply
lay the bike at an angle to shift the oil level at an angle to remove
the clutch cover without spillage... next remove the bolt on the crank
followed by removing the starter clutch and finally the crankshaft
gear... now you are free to rotate the clutch basket (counterclock
wise) by hand and wait for the pump to build pressure... once oil is