Oil Pressure Switch leak and Wasps Nest

MarksmanVFR800i

My 2002 Viffer 800 is in for a major service and valve clearance. Was quoted $480 (Australian dollars) plus extra labour if valves needed adjusting. They don’t and are within specs. Plus labour totals $760. Now they say it’s leaking oil from the oil pressure switch. Even though there was no sign of a leak when I dropped it off. Took them a week to even start working on it. They say a wasp nests was stopping the oil from leaking and draining out. Not the nest is gone from that space, oil is leaking everywhere and wants to add another $400 to the costs totalling $1100+...is this possible or have they got me over a barrel?!...

• Member Contributer

I’ve seen wasp nest show up in some odd places but if I ever saw one on a motorcycle, you can bet I would be taking pictures of it, if I had found one on my bike. How many people would believe you if you would have told someone that there was a wasp nest on your engine of your motorcycle?

Cant say they did not find one but does sound odd it was in a place where, if not there, would have provided you with evidence of an oil leak. Unless they have photographic evidence of this, all you can do is take their word on it, as painful as it would be. I know not everyone has the time, experience or work environment to work on their own vehicles, I know the latter prevents me from doing a valve inspection, but I would probably pick up the bike and do the repair myself. Of course, if that is not an option, I suppose biting the bullet is one you might have to take.

It's 2019, we've reached a point in history where our access to photographic technology is ubiquitous.  So... "pictures or it didn't happen" certainly seems like a reasonable expectation when something as bizarre as "the bike has/had an oil leak but a wasp nest just happened to be in exactly the right spot to prevent that oil leak from being noticed" is proposed as an extenuating circumstance encountered during maintenance.

(that said, I've actually seen wasps do some amazing nest-building: Around about the late 2000s the Oakland International Airport extended the length of one of its terminal buildings.  The Airport Authority didn't realize it but this extension of the terminal put the far end of the building out into an area populated by a type of "mud-dauber" wasp.  When the aircraft gates at this far end of the building opened up for use we experienced blocked Pitot Tubes (the orifices that allow the airplane to sense airspeed) because the wasps were building their mud-based nests inside them, sometimes the wasps would build these nests so quickly it would happen to an airplane that was only at the gate for about 40 minutes) 

• Member Contributer

Are you running rancid pork fat as oil? If not, I'd be pretty suspicious. I haven't ever noticed wasps to be particularly attracted to motor oil. Might be no recourse but to pay them this time, but I wouldn't be likely to bring them further business unless they produce a picture of your unlikely passengers.

Edit: also, I absolutely demand that any photo evidence be posted here! If it's true, I've gotta see this!

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, MarksmanVFR800i said:

My 2002 Viffer 800 is in for a major service and valve clearance. Was quoted $480 (Australian dollars) plus extra labour if valves needed adjusting. They don’t and are within specs. Plus labour totals $760. Now they say it’s leaking oil from the oil pressure switch. Even though there was no sign of a leak when I dropped it off. Took them a week to even start working on it. They say a wasp nests was stopping the oil from leaking and draining out. Not the nest is gone from that space, oil is leaking everywhere and wants to add another $400 to the costs totalling $1100+...is this possible or have they got me over a barrel?!...

I'm at -- I smell a rat! I would get a mechanically inclined buddy to go with you at the dealer and make them do some "show me"!  I'm calling BS!

• Member Contributer

The oil pressure switch is in the right side of the V, there is no way someone could justify that cost tighten it or replace it. 

Being as they claim there was a wasps nest there, which is possible if bike was not used for sometime, then how did they clear it out ? I would hazard a guess that they used a rod of some kind to break it up & broke the oil pressure switch too ! 

Go see what the monkeys have done to your bike & if they can't provide photographic evidence of what they found & detail how they removed it to your satisfaction. Then ask them politely to fix the mess of their making & if they object threaten to sue them for damages and report them to Honda.

Good luck.

Archived