instrument cluster bulb replacement

9C1

Dumb question, but how do you remove the bulbs from the instrument cluster?  I didn't want start trying to rotate them or pull them straight out and break things.  Also, is there any risk of damaging the cluster if I unscrew it to access some of the bulbs?

• Member Contributer

Rotate counterclockwise, and pull. Should come right out. Yes you can remove the instrument pod without worry. Probably not a bad idea to clean all the connections while your in there anyway. Just make sure the contact cleaner you use is safe for plastics.

• Member Contributer

If you’re in there, replace them all with LED. I have a list at home of the sizes needed I can post later if needed. I use white behind the dials, blue behind the LCD and same color as the lens for all the indicator/idiot lights. The Fi light I left incandescent because the LED comes on half lit all the time otherwise. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

You need to be careful which LEDs you get. I tried this recently. The white LEDs changed the colour if all the warning lights. And not just slightly-completely different colours.  Clearly the “white” actually contained a lot of blue.

They were also very patchy so poor for dial illumination. I kept two blue ones behind the LCD which looked OK, went back to stock on the rest. May try others later.

These are the ones I got. Avoid these...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/501-Led-Xenon-Super-White-High-Power-T10-W5w-194-Capless-Side-Light-Bulbs-12v-/132511877125?var=&hash=item64a0a2a2c8

• Member Contributer

I solved the color change and patchy problem in a rather cruel way - spayed them with black paint a couple of times. As they are assumed to outlast the bike I don't really care about the problem having to redo a single LED again.

• Member Contributer

If you want LED's, you need these:

Make sure you match colours to the warning lights, and get warm for the instruments if you want it looking the same.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/194-led-bulb-5-led-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/199/875/

Archived