Gen 5 engine fit into Gen 4 frame?

NinjaNick

Question

As per title, has anyone fitted or tried to fit a gen 5 motor into a gen 4 frame? I am seriously considering it so i can build a RC45 lookalike. I like all the benifits of fi and i have completed a similar conversion a couple of years ago with a Kawasaki. Up until recently I was the proud owner of a type9 NC30 and have been bitten with the v4, camgear whine / exhaust tone, bug.  I have been looking at various pics of gen5 crankcases and noticed that a lot of the rear cast can be cut off and the lower rear mounting, just behind the gearchange lever shaft, looks about in the right place. Also the rear of the two upper mount points looks to be in the correct position. With a couple of extra arms welded onto the frame to drop onto the front lower mount points i think it would be a viable proposition. With a ZX10R front end and microsquirt ecu...... Hmmmm!

3 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

It would be easier to build an RC45 look alike based on a Gen 5 would it not?

Seeing they are very similar in many ways.

Just my 2 cents worth.

5th Gen motor is virtually the RC45 motor. However the frame is very different.

4th Gen frame is almost a dead ringer for the RC45 - at least the bits you can see - you just need to fill the two grooves and paint it.

• Member Contributer

Nothing is impossible with enough time and money, but in that case I would say it would be impractical or very difficult.  The 4th gen swingarm pivots in a frame mount.   On 5th gens the swingarm pivot is in the engine case.  That by itself would require some serious modding. There are possibly other differences to overcome I'm not aware of. For sure it would not be plug and play. 

Archived