Crossrunner controls & bars on a VFR800?

zoomnad

I have a 2014 VFR800D and love the bike BUT this 69 year old body doesn't like the low bar. I even put the Moto Pump spacers at 1.25!

I want to use the Honda Crossrunner bar set up. Then my bike would be perfect. I would buy that Crossrunner in a heart beat if it was in the states! The VFR1200X was so tall (I'm 5'6" tall) you had to be giant like the Africa Twin is! any ideas???

• Member Contributer

It might be possible to find a second-hand one from a crashed bike then get it posted over.

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, zoomnad said:

I have a 2014 VFR800D and love the bike BUT this 69 year old body doesn't like the low bar. I even put the Moto Pump spacers at 1.25!

I want to use the Honda Crossrunner bar set up. Then my bike would be perfect. I would buy that Crossrunner in a heart beat if it was in the states! The VFR1200X was so tall (I'm 5'6" tall) you had to be giant like the Africa Twin is! any ideas???

Gotta admit, I don't really understand an "adventure" bike that's too heavy to pick up...

You can probably find bars with a similar bend from Renthal or ProTaper or whoever... Using the 800X clamp would be an elegant solution if they were available for a decent price. 

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Marvelicious said:

Gotta admit, I don't really understand an "adventure" bike that's too heavy to pick up...

You can probably find bars with a similar bend from Renthal or ProTaper or whoever... Using the 800X clamp would be an elegant solution if they were available for a decent price. 

It may be marketed as an "off-roader" or "adventure" bike but most 800X owners I know are fully aware that it is not really very good at that job - far too heavy as you say. More likely aimed at the ageing VFR800 owners who are loyal to the marque but struggle with the riding position of the other 800 models as they age.

However, as a road-going VFR800, it is the best I have owned as I can sit upright which is far more comfortable than my ageing body was finding on my old 08 model yet you lose none of the VFR'ness that we all love and it's based on the 8th Gen VFR with the added benefits that brings. Even at speeds above the national 70mph limit (private roads, of course) there is plenty of wind protection and taller riders can add raised screen if necessary - almost no flies on my visor this summer, and you also have the benefit of a greater moment-arm on the bars when you wish to change direction.

Brilliant bike.   :beer:

• Member Contributer
22 hours ago, zoomnad said:

If you look up the specs the crossrunner isn't a small bike either, I've ridden both and if it were me I'd be going for the convenience of the shaft drive on the crosstourer, pity they haven't put cruise control on it. a set of clamps and the bars of another bike might solve your problem but personally I think those types of bars don't look right on a vfr800,but it's your bike so that's your choice.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Saoirse said:

If you look up the specs the crossrunner isn't a small bike either, I've ridden both and if it were me I'd be going for the convenience of the shaft drive on the crosstourer, pity they haven't put cruise control on it. a set of clamps and the bars of another bike might solve your problem but personally I think those types of bars don't look right on a vfr800,but it's your bike so that's your choice.

Seriously? I've ridden the 1200X as well and it's a much larger/heavier bike than the 800X. Don't get me wrong, that 1200 engine is a beaut, but no way are they in the same league.

The weight of the 800X disappears once you start rolling, just like both versions of the 1200. 

JMHO

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Skids said:

The weight of the 800X disappears once you start rolling

My comment was aimed more at the 1200x than the 800x, but in any case, that weight comes back with a vengeance when it's on it's side and you've been riding all day. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of a bike that's at home blasting through twisties, but is equally at home turning off onto that dirt track into the hills. I just wish reality would match up with the fantasy. 

As for putting conventional bars on the sport viffer... well, that's what I have on mine, so I definitely get it. 

• Member Contributer
32 minutes ago, Marvelicious said:

My comment was aimed more at the 1200x than the 800x, but in any case, that weight comes back with a vengeance when it's on it's side and you've been riding all day. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of a bike that's at home blasting through twisties, but is equally at home turning off onto that dirt track into the hills. I just wish reality would match up with the fantasy. 

As for putting conventional bars on the sport viffer... well, that's what I have on mine, so I definitely get it. 

Fair enough, the 1200 is quite heavy but the same applies I think, never really meant to go off road, just a more comfy riding position. I've been tempted to swap my 1200F for an X but despite the difficulty with the riding position, I doubt I will ever sell it.

Archived