Installing the KAOKO throttle lock

CoyoteChris

• Member Contributer

(Just back from a tour to Reno and Back, found my KAOKO)

I wonder if Indiekixx got the Kaoko to fit?

I took mine out of the package and examined it. Hardly any bolt threads showed.

I removed my end weight.

The instructions give two methods for installation.  The recommended one is to take two hands and two screw drivers and "prize (sic) the two spring tabs towards each other and simultaneously  pull out the handle bar insert", presumably with your third hand.

The second is to take apart the switch housing and somehow release the handle bar location pins.

Any help from someone who has done this on the heated grip handle bars would be appreciated. 

KAOKO.JPG

• Member Contributer

Check out the 8gen topic "Bar Ends" Page 10 of 8gen forum. OR (Click on the arrow top RH corner of this text box.) 

Shouldn't be too hard to do for an Aircraft Mechanic! :biggrin:. There is no need to remove your heated grips or the switch housing. Once fitted properly the Kaoko is a great throttle locker.

Cheers :fing02:

image.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Wow....thanks a bunch......and here I was cursing Honda for not putting holes in a circlip for circlip plyers....

Your pic is priceless....

What Kaoko calls "Handle bar Insert" , Honda calls  "inner Weight"

The Kaoko instructions say to discard the "handle bar insert"

If I do that, I am not quite sure what the Kaoko screws into, but perhaps the screw just expands something.

Thanks!  More later. I have a mechanical engineer friend who is also a pilot as I am who is getting a 5th gen....I bet he will supply the third hand as my arthritis is an issue.  

That imbedded page 15-13 from the manual is also "interesting".

weight assy.jpg

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, CoyoteChris said:

I am not quite sure what the Kaoko screws into, but perhaps the screw just expands something.

Thanks

The Kaoko is an expanding clamp arrangement. You simply pop it in,tighten the screw and it will clamp onto the internal tube.

Interesting - mine is the HND31 and I do have the heated grips!

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Grum said:

The Kaoko is an expanding clamp arrangement. You simply pop it in,tighten the screw and it will clamp onto the internal tube.

Interesting - mine is the HND31 and I do have the heated grips!

You will note their nomenclature is rather interesting....had to read it twice.

hd.JPG

• Member Contributer

Success!  It took two pilots, one mechanical engineer, and aircraft mechanic and a avionics tech, but we did it.

Ideally, one would have a 4 in screw to put through the old end weight so one would have room for one person to put in the two

screw drivers and depress the tabs while the other pulled.  We lightly put some needle nose around the screw alone and tapped the

plyers where they met the screw in the direction of removal with a soft hammer to dislodge the tits. Then we put on the old weight and pulled and the inner bar came right out with a grunt.

The Kaoko works like a dream. The 29 and 31 demarkation, we feel, just indicates the diameter of the new (and old) end weight.

Thanks to all, especially Grum!  

smoking gun 2.JPG

smoking gun.JPG

• Member Contributer
41 minutes ago, CoyoteChris said:

Success!  It took two pilots, one mechanical engineer, and aircraft mechanic and a avionics tech, but we did it.

Wow, it took 5 highly trained experts! Man, if you're a real VFR rider, it only takes two hands and a set of teeth.....preferably not false ones.:laughing6-hehe:

Glad it's all done, it's a nice addition and works well.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Grum said:

Wow, it took 5 highly trained experts! Man, if you're a real VFR rider, it only takes two hands and a set of teeth.....preferably not false ones.:laughing6-hehe:

Glad it's all done, it's a nice addition and works well.

Cheers.

How did you know about our teeth?  🤣

buddy and me.jpg

Archived