2001 vfr800fi UK 32000 mile service

Jamesvfr851

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I had a valve clearance inspection plus oil change service done at 16k and it was 2 hours labour for the valve check +1 hour for oil change and checking head bearings (they’d replaced, but I’d reported issues). That said, I now do not have much confidence in the place that did it. I do at least know that they got the heads off as I have photos. 2 hours seems quite reasonable and I wouldn’t be surprised if you were quoted more. Price is not much use to you since this was in 2010.

• Member Contributer
On 9/19/2019 at 7:10 PM, Jamesvfr851 said:

Looking to find out the price guys have paied in the UK for the majure service at the 32000 mile mark in the UK 

Call a few dealers and ask for a quote?

• 5 months later...

I think I paid something over £500 for the major service and valves. I wasn't sure if the previous owner had done it. This was 8 years ago. Definitely not worth it, no difference in the bike, I don't think the valves needed doing and probably never will.

• Member Contributer
18 minutes ago, courtuk said:

I think I paid something over £500 for the major service and valves. I wasn't sure if the previous owner had done it. This was 8 years ago. Definitely not worth it, no difference in the bike, I don't think the valves needed doing and probably never will.

Adjusting the valves in a engine that is not sorely out of spec will not make any noticeable difference in performance.  You can have major valve damage if they are too tight so it is worthwhile to make sure they are within spec.  My bike just got it 1st looksee at 50K and all of the intakes were very tight.  Luckily there was no damage to the valves yet, but not far away.  Easier to adjust valves then have to remove the head and replace a valve or two.

Archived