How many 5th gen VFR's were produced by Honda in the 2000 model year?

Yarks

Hi All,

I'm considering a 2000 VFR as my next bike, and recently checked out a nice one here in British Columbia.

The bike itself looks great and appears well maintained.

The owner claims that it qualifies for collector plates here and that's what has me a little puzzled.

Our provincial insurer's collector plate rules state that in order to qualify it has to be:

• 25 years or older

• OR A limited production vehicle, which means:

• 15 years or older, and 
    • 1 of no more than 1,500 of that make and model (not edition) produced worldwide by the manufacturer for that model year.

I have a hard time believing Honda made fewer than 1500 VFR800's in the year 2000...but I guess I could be wrong?

Anyone have any insights on this? (google hasn't helped so far).

It's an original blue one, but I don't believe the insurer distinguishes color in their consideration of what makes it rare.

*It matters because if it can be collector plated then the insurance cost drops dramatically. Which means I can keep my other two bikes :D

Thanks in advance

-yarks

• Member Contributer

Well, checking the Dutch registered motorbikes database, I find currently 118 "VFR800"'s with a first registration after May 2000 and prior to Jan 2002. Sure there will be some 1999 en 2001 VFR800's in there.

But if 19 years on, there are still 118 of them on the road in the Netherlands, it will be 99.9999999% sure that Mother Honda produced more than 1,500 units that year.

But do you have the burden of proof here?

Yes, in theory I need to produce a letter from Honda (Honda Canada I guess), that confirms production numbers bellow 1500. Current owner has one (printed), but I think it's been edited (there's no "to:" recipient, for starters).

I imagine getting that letter isn't easy, and while I'd like to use his, if I were the insurer I'd question it.

• Member Contributer

My undocumented, seat of the pants, empirical, butt dyno analysis (so take it FWIW) is as follows:

I know of a '99 model with a sequential # 1096.  So in round numbers there were at least 1,100 in the US that year.  Taking a leap of faith that 2000 models were produced in similar numbers, then there would have had to have been no more than 400 made for Europe, Australia, Canada, Japan and everywhere else to meet the criteria.  Judging by the number of 5th gens built for Japan LEO's alone (plenty of youtube videos showing them on training courses) the 400 number was easily exceeded.  And I'll bet there were more in Europe than in the US.  My $.02 is that it is highly likely that  far more than 1,500 Y2K's were built and distributed world wide.  As always, I may be FOS, so YMMV.

6 hours ago, maxredline said:

Dude that guy on CList is full of it! The bike has to be 25 years old in stock condition.

Too many produced.

ICBC actually states on their website it can be 15yrs and limited production, but yeah from what I'm reading here (as I suspected) far more were produced.

• Member Contributer

The guy is talking rubbish. Check link below the UK alone had 6,500 registered from 99-01.

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/honda_vfr_800_f

The 1500 volume will cover ALL year models of a specific machine. Something like very limited volume machine that may only have sold a handful a year for say a 12 year production run is what the legislation will mean to cover. I can’t see it being 1500 in any single year.

• Member Contributer
On 9/19/2019 at 11:38 PM, Mohawk said:

The guy is talking rubbish. 

Yup, I wanted to email that douche but I have better things to do.

Archived