Old Ass 1000F with slightly newer Old Ass Wheels.

Captain 80s

• Member Contributer

Gotta be white on this bike.  The CBR1000 wheels are all easy contours, way easier to keep clean than the Honda 6 spoke design.   The RC26 is getting switched to black tho this spring.  Fucking impossible to keep clean, one ride and they look like it's been across the country.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 9:09 PM, Captain 80s said:

Gotta be white on this bike.  The CBR1000 wheels are all easy contours, way easier to keep clean than the Honda 6 spoke design.   The RC26 is getting switched to black tho this spring.  Fucking impossible to keep clean, one ride and they look like it's been across the country.

I love the white CBR wheels on my CB1100R resto-mods.  They really aren't that hard to keep clean if you have front and rear wheel stands and some S100 and a sponge. Well worth the effort.

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Trimmed a VF750F fender down so I can keep the original fender.

spacer.png

Sprayed a blue that is very close.  I put a base of grey metallic under to help darken it a bit.  Will get knocked down a bit before clear.

spacer.png

Got an extra VF1000F fender brace, sanded thru the failing anodizing, gave it a 3M brush and cleared it.

spacer.png

Etching primer and first light coat of white.  A little sanding and then lay down the final coats this Friday after work.

spacer.png

Wheels took a bit of work, especially the front, the lips needed some love.  Not really dinged, just chipping paint that is pretty hard to blend out nicely.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Ready for a short shake down ride.

spacer.png

Felt absolutely great.  Gonna be so much fun after the tires get scrubbed in a bit.  Forks got a full rebuild and changed the Gold Valve.  Braided brake lines in front.  Still need to clearance the chain guard and I had to clearance the brake arm about 5mm.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

spacer.png

2nd set of front wheel spacers installed, made a little smarter this time.  Was able to install the right dust seal and wheel is now perfectly centered.  Blue fender looks way better out in natural light.  Not a perfect match, but it is damn close and looks good.  Also made a new plate mount and rear turn signal brackets, tucked up nicely.

• Member Contributer
9 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

spacer.png

2nd set of front wheel spacers installed, made a little smarter this time.  Was able to install the right dust seal and wheel is now perfectly centered.  Blue fender looks way better out in natural light.  Not a perfect match, but it is damn close and looks good.  Also made a new plate mount and rear turn signal brackets, tucked up nicely.

Simply gorgeous! :beer:

• Member Contributer

:wub:

Needs a lengthened sidestand though...... :laugh:

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Dutchy said:

:wub:

Needs a lengthened sidestand though...... :laugh:

While the rear is higher now, it's actually not that bad.   I was just getting it vertical for the shot.

• Member Contributer

Captain, I'm wanting to repaint the wheels on my Gen5.... don't want to powder coat..... what is this "etching primer" and what would be a good top coat.... would you clearcoat them also?

Edit added - I don't have any spraying equipment, I'd have to farm that job out, hopefully be able to stick them in an EZ bake oven.

• Member Contributer

Because I did so much blending on these wheels I had a bunch of bare aluminum and wanted to seal them properly before paint.  I spray Duplicolor wheel paint and find it to be pretty damn durable.  I will use their Wheel Clear coat on any color other than white, as it will tend to yellow a bit when sprayed on heavy.  I have used their gloss and matte clears on wheels and it's pretty good shit.  If you wanted to really protect some white wheels (or any color), you could get a can of 2K clear.  It's a true 2 part that doesn't yellow but is not cheap.  Normally I don't even prime wheels before paint as the Honda paint makes the best base coat when roughed up a bit, even if I've done some light sanding down to bare in a few places.

On that blue fender I was so convinced that the blue wasn't going to match good enough, I shot it with the Duplicolor gloss wheel clear just to get it done and it actually flowed out really nice!  Probably gonna 2K clear the next time I activate a can for other stuff.

I have sprayed easily 10 sets of wheels using these products and am very happy. Not having to pay a powder coater to get that shit where it doesn't belong is a very nice bonus too.

1a0f0f91-a95e-4529-bab9-3944e2b846f4_1.d8da1bb028f0d91a5095af72e484bf4a.jpeg

Archived