Old Ass 1000F with slightly newer Old Ass Wheels.

Captain 80s

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Trying to make some progress.  Swapping in the new shock that can provide the needed ride height.  I have a couple fuel filters arriving tomorrow...  look at that tasty 'orange' unit hanging there.  When the fuel filter is in the center of the bike it probably doesn't get the love it should.

full?d=1576810884

Here's the shock progression:  Stock (400mm) / CBR600F2 DMr conversion with Hyperco spring (about 407mm) /  YSS 405 set at about 412mm (it's  technically a +/-5mm shock but I added a couple mm, there's plenty of clevis rod engaged in the shock and it's right at the limit mark, could probably add a few mm if needed no prob).

full?d=1576810884

The DMr shock will go in my 8K mile 1986 VF1000R (perfect..  couple mm longer than stock) and I'll wrap up the stock shock.  I'll keep the dampening adjustment cable and air hose mocked up for a stock appearance.

• Member Contributer

[IMG]

Shock installed with the stock wheels while I finish ($) the forks, rims, spacers and buy tires.  I have an extra set of low mileage 1000F forks that I'm going thru so I can just swap out when the wheels are done.  Gold Valves and RT springs with the cross over eliminated so they can be slid up in the triples like these.  These forks will probably end up on a VF750F for a 41mm upgrade.

• Member Contributer

Who would want those old junk bikes... OK, I admit... I am sooo envious 🙂

Yeah - back then I drooled and drooled over the VF1000F...

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, Cogswell said:

Nice bike - and very cool garage. 

Agreed--I've always thought that would make a great thread--garage photos from you, Seb, Cptn 80's, Terry, Grum, fromMaine, JZH, Duc, BLS, and all the other VFRD members whose work spaces and bike collections I aspire to!

• Member Contributer
18 minutes ago, Dutchy said:

Garage workspace?

Here is mine!

A challenge in the winter... 🙂

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, RC36B said:

A challenge in the winter... 🙂

Yeah, winters are a biatch....

Makes the SP2 hard to spot...

santa_zpsoblzkell (1).jpg

On topic: 

Am still tempted to pick up a RWB VF750F and do "a Captain 80's".....  :tongue:

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Garage workspace?

Here is mine!

:goofy:

Haha! It's true that I don't aspire to your garage workspace. But I still aspire to your bike collection! 

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Garage workspace?

Here is mine!

IMG-20190728-WA0005.jpg

:goofy:

Very High Tech Dutchy! Love the solar panels, aircon/climate control and security entrance gate. :fing02:

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, Grum said:

M8, is that a museum or a workshop? Lucky you:blush:

Both, kinda.  Behind me is a line of VFR's to a garage door.  That opens to the "outer" garage that is the staging area for daily riders, and leads to another garage door that opens to my driveway (they are never open at the same time).  I walk down from my kitchen to this.  The open door is into my office.  I originally didn't want the shop so close to the house, but I love it.  I can shuffle down in my slippers and fuck around.

• Member Contributer
18 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

Both, kinda.  Behind me is a line of VFR's to a garage door.  That opens to the "outer" garage that is the staging area for daily riders, and leads to another garage door that opens to my driveway (they are never open at the same time).  I walk down from my kitchen to this.  The open door is into my office.  I originally didn't want the shop so close to the house, but I love it.  I can shuffle down in my slippers and fuck around.

Bloody hell Captain! I know, you've died and gone to Heaven - :fing02:

image.jpeg

• Member Contributer
45 minutes ago, Grum said:

Bloody hell!! I know, you've died and gone to Heaven - Beam me up Scotty:fing02:

image.png.a79feab6d5f055a69a912e99929a4ce3.png

I saw a comment about the original Star Trek communicators - if they gave us one now, compared to modern cell phones it would be a total P.O.S. - 'what, no texting or internet access? -  all I can do is talk to you with this thing???'  :laugh:

Anyway - back to topic - there is a local dealer that has an extensive collection of vintage Honda bikes and displays them in the same way - they're up on an appropriately sized shelf ringing the entire showroom.  Very cool - I like looking at the old ones more than the new inventory.  They put them up with a forklift - curious how you get those up there.  Not only the bikes, but the memorabilia is also very cool.  Looks like you might have a sign from University Honda - too bad they closed.  I went with a friend to buy bike there when I lived in Seattle - it was a nice dealership.  You've definitely got one of the best bike man caves I've seen.  :cool:  :beer:

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

I can shuffle down in my slippers and fuck around.

What a nerd - who on earth would want to do that... nobody at VFRD, right? 🙂

Yeah - I know the problem with all the room, doors, hallways. I always forget where I leave the bikes after last ride... I took a long walk through my property and managed to find the old VFR 750 🙂

Dutchy, it appears as you and I have a lot to change to get to the required standard...

497221686_IMG_17684.thumb.JPG.8c3dd0612e22e107c593da406e117d66.JPG

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, RC36B said:

Dutchy, it appears as you and I have a lot to change to get to the required standard...

Not sure if this tactic will help.....

rsoes.jpg.4edfa73ceb25372e795b4f64f4abd6de.jpg

:tongue:

• Member Contributer
On 12/28/2019 at 8:44 PM, Captain 80s said:

full

Holy socks! You could start a museum. No Multi Bike Syndrome seen there! :pinocchio:

• Member Contributer

That is a really nice job, and it opens up a world of rubber choices now. IMO, getting modern rubber on these old bikes is the single best mod you can do.

I've managed to get a CBR 900 front rim 16  X 3.5 mounted om my 1000R, but ran into difficulties with the calipers. In the interest of expediency I jut kept my oem rim on for now, I'll revisit it again at some point.

102_1997.JPG

• Member Contributer
On 12/31/2019 at 6:14 PM, FromMaine said:

That is a really nice job, and it opens up a world of rubber choices now. IMO, getting modern rubber on these old bikes is the single best mod you can do.

That was the motivation.  And just to do something different.  The wheels also allow utilizing the same rotors (actually CBR600F2) and calipers and helps keep the scope of the swap smaller (especially on the rear).  The 5.5 rear is tight and forces me into a 170, but I really didn't want to do another F2/3 swap, especially in white.  Ugh...   the RC26 wheels are getting a matte black treatment just because those stupid (awesome) wheels are a bitch to keep clean.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, understand trying to keep it as simple as possible. Looked at doing an entire fork swap with the CBR900 so I could keep the 16" front because I like it, but the tubes are way to short, which in addition to triple trees I'm looking for longer tubes. I already have white rims on my 4th gen, if I can figure this approach out, that rim will be black by sunset...…..:)

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 10:07 PM, Captain 80s said:

That was the motivation.  And just to do something different.  The wheels also allow utilizing the same rotors (actually CBR600F2) and calipers and helps keep the scope of the swap smaller (especially on the rear).  The 5.5 rear is tight and forces me into a 170, but I really didn't want to do another F2/3 swap, especially in white.  Ugh...   the RC26 wheels are getting a matte black treatment just because those stupid (awesome) wheels are a bitch to keep clean.

Captain  I have the white wheels on my RS125 and those whites are a bitch.  I got lucky on my donor bike that it had black wheels.  Besides I think it looks sinister...

Archived