weirdness

71Rob

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, CalumL said:

That looks a bit naughty. Is that broken in a place that will allow a repair?

not sure yet , will get the rest of the loom out tomorrow and see, i'm hoping that one of my electrical friends at work will be able to fix it so i can get it running until the new one arrives, to me from what little i can see it looks like corrosion has got to it and broken off right where the end of the outer insulation is, it doesn't surprise me to see this at all, i live about a mile from the coast and ride all year round so i see quite a lot of it you should see the ends of my radiators

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, 71Rob said:

not sure yet , will get the rest of the loom out tomorrow and see, i'm hoping that one of my electrical friends at work will be able to fix it so i can get it running until the new one arrives, to me from what little i can see it looks like corrosion has got to it and broken off right where the end of the outer insulation is, it doesn't surprise me to see this at all, i live about a mile from the coast and ride all year round so i see quite a lot of it you should see the ends of my radiators

Hi Rob.

Here is some info from the service manual regards the location of the 2P plug where you remove the switch from the loom and some switch removal info.

Rob, that sure looks like a broken wire at the switch, If that can be re-connected/soldered you won't need a new switch!

It goes without saying, but I will say it! When working on your Ignition Switch disconnect a battery lead or pull both main fuses.

I did mention "check the wiring first Before buying a new switch"! 

Good luck.

image.png

image.png

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, 71Rob said:

Yep......Living near the coast and salty roads in winter can do terrible things to an 8gen VFR....!!!

image.jpeg

11 hours ago, Grum said:

Hi Rob.

Here is some info from the service manual regards the location of the 2P plug where you remove the switch from the loom and some switch removal info.

Rob, that sure looks like a broken wire at the switch, If that can be re-connected/soldered you won't need a new switch!

It goes without saying, but I will say it! When working on your Ignition Switch disconnect a battery lead or pull both main fuses.

I did mention "check the wiring first Before buying a new switch"! 

Good luck.

image.png

image.png

Thankyou, this will save me a buttload of work, i already removed the left hand fairing panel yesterday in preparation to trace the loom all the way back to the start relay,  but now i don't have to do this, its all already right there all i have to do is disconnect and take it to work tomorrow, I've already bought a new switch with the mindset that if its happened once it will happen again, especially as the original will be repaired, that way i have a spare that can be replaced straight away, i do this with headstock and all wheel and sprocket carrier and hub bearings too, always keep a full set.

1 hour ago, CalumL said:

It might also be worth checking the wiring route of the current switch to see whether it is not quite right and snagging and putting some extra strain on the wires when the handlebars are turned.

i think its more water retention than wires being pulled or snagged, but i will look at its routing as it was a right twat to get out

Update time, my original switch has been repaired (resoldered) so at least if it happens again i'll have a spare (when it arrives) and installed , turned the ignition on everything lit up and fired straight away , once again a very big thanks to Grum. 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, 71Rob said:

Update time, my original switch has been repaired (resoldered) so at least if it happens again i'll have a spare (when it arrives) and installed , turned the ignition on everything lit up and fired straight away , once again a very big thanks to Grum. 

Hi Rob. Thanks for the update. Glad you're up and running, you have a good backup of spares to keep you going now!

Cheers.

Archived