Does anyone know where my old Viffer is? (yellow 2000)

Lobster

• Member Contributer

Reaching out to the VFRD community to see if anyone knows where this bike is or who owns it?  I'd like to buy it back for the THIRD time...  I sold this to a kid in MN, then bought it back from him, then sold it MaxSwell and I think he has since sold it.

Please hit me via PM if anyone has a lead.

Thanks.

Miss the bike and miss this forum.  Life has a funny way of getting in the way!

my old viffer.jpg

• Member Contributer

I still have a phone number of the fellow who bought it but it no longer works. That was a fabulous example. But I was looking for a red fifth and that seemed just a little too flashy for me for an old phart like me. And the young dude who bought it fit his personality.

It was in excellent shape when I got it and when I sold it. As my first VFR800fi was approaching 100,000 miles I was looking for a backup machine. At yours was my first opportunity.

I can certainly empathize with you. And if I come across it, I will contact you immediately.

BTW: I am in the process of restoring another Y2K. If I can get it rideable I'll let you know and give you special consideration regarding the price. I'd even haul it to that very same parking lot.

Take care Lobster. 

• Member Contributer

The insurance industry has a free database of VIN's of salvaged, stolen or written off vehicles.  It may also provide location info.  Mite give it a try, or other similar VIN databases.

https://www.nicb.org/vincheck

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to find my old 5th gen just a little while back. I sold it to a fellow forum member from my Nighthawk days. I tried his old phone number and email address, but they no longer worked. I found him on Facebook, but it was extremely out of date. I sure hope nothing happened to the guy. 

Anyways, best of luck in your search! 

• Member Contributer

This thread got me curious about the fate of my departed 4th gen.  I dug around a bit and found a registration so I have the VIN #.  I tried the insurance database (above)  and while it recognized it, nothing significant reported.  I also tried some of the "free" VIN websites, and while most returned nothing useful without paying, one did have some additional detail that was helpful:

https://www.vinfreecheck.com/

The "Full VIN Report" tab provides vehicle accident reports, odometer readings (it looks like usually when changing hands) and "Detailed Vehicle History".  There are no names given, however there are dates and cities associated with registration renewal or new title issuance (in this case X3) and more detail on accident records.  My 4th gen traded around for several years through 3 new owners but stayed in the general vicinity.  The last entry is from Sweetwater, TX where it says "Front impact with a fixed object, moderate to severe damage reported".   My guess is that the then owner had no comprehensive / collision insurance which is why it did not appear in the insurance database, but law enforcement created a record that filtered in to these databases.  So it does appear that at least some info can be located for free if the VIN is available.  It would at least help to figure out in what city to begin looking.

Makes me sad my 4th gen is no longer around - but like many bikes, they often live a hard and unforgiving life and meet a violent end.  RIP old girl.

Thanks for that link Cogswell. Looks like the guy I sold my bike still had it in 2014. Nothing past that though. Odd that it doesn't list the mileage from when I sold it to him though. Really wish I could find that bike again. Lot of good memories riding it. Heck, I learned a lot about how to work on a bike with that one. Also got to hang out in the garage with @mello dude because of that bike.

Yeah, I miss it dearly.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, marriedman said:

Thanks for that link Cogswell. Looks like the guy I sold my bike still had it in 2014. Nothing past that though. Odd that it doesn't list the mileage from when I sold it to him though. Really wish I could find that bike again. Lot of good memories riding it. Heck, I learned a lot about how to work on a bike with that one. Also got to hang out in the garage with @mello dude because of that bike.

Yeah, I miss it dearly.

Hey dude....that 5th gen was sooo beat to shit.....  you really want it back? .. I guess we are all sentimental fooles..... I often wonder where my old 4th gen is.... :biggrin:

6 hours ago, marriedman said:

Yeah, I miss it dearly.

Let me know if you need help finding your old sixth gen. 😁

• Member Contributer

Seeing an old bike again can be like my 20 year high school reunion.  There was a girl I was particularity hot for in HS and recalling what she looked like then I  eagerly awaited seeing  her again at the reunion.  As she walked up to me I didn't recognize her and told her as much.  When she gave me the name I'm sure my jaw was hanging slack and probably a moth flew out of my mouth . . . As I stammered something in return I couldn't help thinking "what the hell happened to YOU??". . .  :blink:  The moral is that sometimes good memories from the past should be left there as the new reality may utterly  destroy that fond recollection . . .  If I ever needed to say this in a post,  this is it - YMMV.  :laugh:

• Member Contributer

Bought my 5th gen back 3 years later. less than 1k miles more and $1k less. It had been garaged the whole time and looked exactly as it did when sold...

Now also looking at repurchasing one of my old 4th gens.....

Makes me wonder about my old 98 that I sold late last year with 82,xxx miles.

Was running good, but still on the original shock, and could have used cosmetic work for scratches and stuff.

Hope the guy is enjoying it still.

On 9/24/2019 at 3:58 PM, mello dude said:

Hey dude....that 5th gen was sooo beat to shit.....  you really want it back? .. I guess we are all sentimental fooles..... I often wonder where my old 4th gen is.... :biggrin:

It was no beauty queen when I got her, I'll give you that. But she was a looker when I sold her!

gallery_25220_6925_540979.jpg

The only I really wanted to replace at that stage was the headers.

On 9/24/2019 at 5:24 PM, Sweeper said:

Let me know if you need help finding your old sixth gen. 😁

lol, nope! The 6th gen & I just never clicked. I am however happy to know it ended up with such an illustrious rider though! 

• Member Contributer

Except for the bit of rust on the headers (probably what you were alluding to) that's a very nice and nicely outfitted (8 spoke, seat, etc) example. I'd miss it too!

I've decided that when the time comes, no matter if I can ride or not, or whether they've banned gasoline to run these things, I'm keeping my 5th gen until I'm gone.  I'd have them bury it with me, but I don't think they'll do that . . .  :sleep:

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Cogswell said:

Except for the bit of rust on the headers (probably what you were alluding to) that's a very nice and nicely outfitted (8 spoke, seat, etc) example. I'd miss it too!

I've decided that when the time comes, no matter if I can ride or not, or whether they've banned gasoline to run these things, I'm keeping my 5th gen until I'm gone.  I'd have them bury it with me, but I don't think they'll do that . . .  :sleep:

Same with me. I’ve invested too much money and time (and blood and broken bones) to give it up for pennies on the dollar. At some point it’ll get cleaned up, fluids drained, and sit in the living room. 

I’ve sold 10 or 11 other bikes and care not a wit what their fates were. 

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, BuzznerSuntrusts said:

Same with me. I’ve invested too much money and time (and blood and broken bones) to give it up for pennies on the dollar. At some point it’ll get cleaned up, fluids drained, and sit in the living room. 

I’ve sold 10 or 11 other bikes and care not a wit what their fates were. 

I completely understand that.. with all the TLC I have put into my 5th gen, its never going to leave my possession.  I still get a "wow" out of riding it, how good the bike still is.   >Once in awhile, when I get gas, someone will ask me - "Is that new?" I get a kick out of the OMG look on their face when I say its 21 years old... 

• Member Contributer
33 minutes ago, mello dude said:

I completely understand that.. with all the TLC I have put into my 5th gen, its never going to leave my possession.  I still get a "wow" out of riding it, how good the bike still is.   >Once in awhile, when I get gas, someone will ask me - "Is that new?" I get a kick out of the OMG look on their face when I say its 21 years old... 

Yep! Totally! 

• Member Contributer
On 9/15/2019 at 6:30 AM, Lobster said:

Reaching out to the VFRD community to see if anyone knows where this bike is or who owns it?  I'd like to buy it back for the THIRD time...  I sold this to a kid in MN, then bought it back from him, then sold it MaxSwell and I think he has since sold it.

Please hit me via PM if anyone has a lead.

Thanks.

Miss the bike and miss this forum.  Life has a funny way of getting in the way!

Lobster, any updates or leads on where your bike has gone?  Did any of the searches help? 

• Member Contributer

There are plenty of nice 5th and 6th gens on the market. Why bother tracking down your actual bike? I tracked down my 98 VFR800 because the buyer/junkie never registered it. Keeps violating Toll Roads and I get the citations. Turned over all his current info to collections.

Wanted to find the bike in his driveway and pull a Sons off Anarchy move. Bowie knife to both radiators. 

Of course that was just my dramatic/psycho side. My rational side said just pull the plate off it.

• Member Contributer

Maybe the sentimental value of old memories factors in sometimes . . .  like looking for that old girlfriend - plenty of fish in the sea, but you're looking for "the one".  :wub:

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Cogswell said:

Maybe the sentimental value of old memories factors in sometimes . . .  like looking for that old girlfriend - plenty of fish in the sea, but you're looking for "the one".  :wub:

herfst2_zps8c5c12e1.thumb.jpg.01e6cc0cccb0a2ec228201f1c5fd8b46.jpg

Her nice parts now spread over the globe; the remaining aluminium now part of the beer can you are holding...... :tongue:

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On 9/30/2019 at 11:42 PM, Cogswell said:

Lobster, any updates or leads on where your bike has gone?  Did any of the searches help? 

I don't have the VIN so I guess the searches will not work.  No update on the bike.  I was thinking about it today as I was cruising down I26.  Hoping one of you lads might have seen it.

• Member Contributer
5 minutes ago, Lobster said:

I don't have the VIN so I guess the searches will not work.  No update on the bike.  I was thinking about it today as I was cruising down I26.  Hoping one of you lads might have seen it.

One longshot idea that might turn up the VIN would be your insurance company / agent. If they keep records of vehicles you have insured, they would have the VIN#. 

Archived