Motor swap and ECM compatability

Halfrider

Question

Hi, The Discussion,

I am after the collectives opinion on whether a 2014 gen 8 motor, can function on a 2006 gen 6 ECM, throttle bodies and wiring harness???

Why?, because I have modified 2006 VFR that's overheating, seeing air bubbles in the possibly to small radiator, think it's a blown head gasket and I picked up a complete 2014 bike for a song

I've read that the basic architecture of VFR Vtec engines have remained mainly unchanged, I understand the 2014 engine should bolt into the 2006 frame, but the wiring loom and associated electrics has changed ALOT and I don't want to change the speedo, or need the self canceling indicators and traction control, hence the desire to put the 2006 throttle bodies and use the 2006 ECM. I can also use the 2014 front mount radiators

Here is some pictures of things that I don't know what they are or need to incorporate into the 2006 wiring loom.

All input welcome, thanks in advance

Modified Bike

Modifed bike

2014 donor engine bike

VFRD-7.jpg.ddb8bdc3fbf3accb924a90a70051af8b.jpg

VFRD-3.thumb.jpg.93cdecd66c78891200f2f0d305ac9c26.jpg

2014 bike has 2 cables under the clutch cover, 2006 has1 only, what is the other for?

VFRD-1a.jpg.331b8cbcaeb0c8ea3e28d10de444254e.jpg

Not sure if the 2006 bike has similar connection on cam chain cover?

VFRD-1.jpg.29f53ce6d776e3e7c5e8a99b6257d606.jpg

VFRD-2.thumb.jpg.abc5db295964fa3955d35d188731a660.jpg

2014 bike has these extra wires to the bulked up RR , 

5 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Suggest you download the 8gen service manual.

The three additional wires coming from the alternator housing are for the Magnetic Pole Sensor these go to the new type R/R. The three yellow Stator winding leads could possibly easily feed the 6gen R/R.

The two wires you are looking at under the clutch housing is the Number 1 and 2 gear position switches. There is no neutral switch as per 6gen. Neutral on the 8gen relies on the state of 3 gear position switches - all switches closed = Neutral. You could connect all three in series and that would probably mimic the 6gen.

As to wether all the EFI sensors on the 8gen engine are electrically compatible with a 6gen ECM, I have no idea. You would most certainly need to verify the pin out compatibility for the sensors going to a 6gen ECM. 

There is also no fuel pressure regulator on the 8gen unlike the 6gen, fuel pump is different, 8gen throttle bodies are a different size.

Think the front sprocket housing might be the same so the 6gen housing and speed sensor may transfer across without issues. 

Thats about the limit of my knowledge. Don't envy your plan, good luck with it.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer

Since you have the 2006 engine, I think it's probably doable. You may have to swap some sensors, but I'm betting the mounting points are the same. Use the 6th gen throttle bodies, that simplifies all the fuel pump and regulator stuff. You would need to find a place for the 6th gen fan switch in the front mount radiators since the 8th gen controls all that with the computer, but that's been done before. I'm sure there'll be at least one unforeseen hurdle that'll be a huge pain compared to a same year swap.

20 hours ago, Grum said:

Suggest you download the 8gen service manual.

The three additional wires coming from the alternator housing are for the Magnetic Pole Sensor these go to the new type R/R. The three yellow Stator winding leads could possibly easily feed the 6gen R/R.

The two wires you are looking at under the clutch housing is the Number 1 and 2 gear position switches. There is no neutral switch as per 6gen. Neutral on the 8gen relies on the state of 3 gear position switches - all switches closed = Neutral. You could connect all three in series and that would probably mimic the 6gen.

As to wether all the EFI sensors on the 8gen engine are electrically compatible with a 6gen ECM, I have no idea. You would most certainly need to verify the pin out compatibility for the sensors going to a 6gen ECM. 

There is also no fuel pressure regulator on the 8gen unlike the 6gen, fuel pump is different, 8gen throttle bodies are a different size.

Think the front sprocket housing might be the same so the 6gen housing and speed sensor may transfer across without issues. 

Thats about the limit of my knowledge. Don't envy your plan, good luck with it.

Cheers.

Hey Grum, thank you for your input, looked for an  8 gen manual with no luck,.

Hadn't considered the neutral switch situation, need to find the third switch though.

I am hoping the 6 gen throttle bodies will fit the 8 gen motor which will take care of the EFI sensors using my existing 6 gen ECM, now relocated ontop of the airbox under the petrol tank.

Sprocket housing for speed sensor= right again.

Considering also using the 8gen SSSA and rear wheel, shame I just had the wheels powder coated.

Thanks for your help

VFRD-8.thumb.jpg.c6fc1f399b9e5fc7d84dff68b172524c.jpg

18 hours ago, Marvelicious said:

Since you have the 2006 engine, I think it's probably doable. You may have to swap some sensors, but I'm betting the mounting points are the same. Use the 6th gen throttle bodies, that simplifies all the fuel pump and regulator stuff. You would need to find a place for the 6th gen fan switch in the front mount radiators since the 8th gen controls all that with the computer, but that's been done before. I'm sure there'll be at least one unforeseen hurdle that'll be a huge pain compared to a same year swap.

Hi Marvelicious, thanks for your input and help,

I've read many an over ride switch for the radiator fan, hopefully only changing over some types of sensor as long as they fit from model to model will be the biggest hurdle.

Looking forward to that great unknown, I guess I'll find out when I try and start it.

VFRD-9.thumb.jpg.6fdf3438b39cf7dfb7df7c5945aff428.jpg

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, Halfrider said:

Hey Grum, thank you for your input, looked for an  8 gen manual with no luck,.

Hadn't considered the neutral switch situation, need to find the third switch though.

I am hoping the 6 gen throttle bodies will fit the 8 gen motor which will take care of the EFI sensors using my existing 6 gen ECM, now relocated ontop of the airbox under the petrol tank.

Sprocket housing for speed sensor= right again.

Considering also using the 8gen SSSA and rear wheel, shame I just had the wheels powder coated.

Hi Halfrider. Sorry about the mention of downloading the Service Manual, it was on this site for a while then mysteriously dissappeared. Hopefully the link here will get you the PDF version that was available for download.

Cheers.:beer:

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=67493

Archived