Handlebar-Grip slips

jens74

Hello,

anyone experienced a slipping handlebar-

grip?

Went to a dealer this day, instead of a new one we tried to glue it with the Honda-adhesive (pulling the grip a bit of the left handlebar, prob. 30 mm, filling up with glue and pushing the grip back).

Had to drive home afterwards (no option waiting 3 Hours in a bar), but seems like it stays tight. A new one 200 Euros...

greetings Jens

DE4CB505-D342-4511-B8E4-1B05247DFFE7.jpeg

• Member Contributer

I had a used bike that slipped like that decades ago.  I pulled it off, cleaned it up and reinstalled with hairspray.

Aqua Net, Final Net, etc.  You want it cheap and strong.   I let them sit 24 hours before riding, though.   I still use hairspray when I put on aftermarket grips.

Don't even bother telling the cashier it is for your bike.  She won't believe you.  

Hairspray is the way to go. I've seen people use gorilla glue and swear a good hard twist cracks it to make it easy to remove. Never tried it myself. Soap doesn't leave it sticky. Hairspray lubes it on and then gets sticky. Great stuff.

Oh, okay hairspray.  Heard of this before, but maybe part of the bike-kit of US-motorcyclists since decades due to the loosely helmet-laws? Last time I visited the states was in 1993, think at least in AZ there was no obligation to carry a helmet. This and the permit to carry a gun impressed me lasting, maybe like the other way round the unlimited autobahn.

Good experiences with the glue, stays tight.

Greetings Jens

Archived