Help torquing up front cam covers

Kafrondo

Hello All, First time poster and new member. I've just opened my 2012 VFR1200F for a valve clearance check. I've just got to taking off the throttle body off and after a really hard time managed to get the front heat guard off - the little cable tie was a nightmare. I tried to take the front cam cover off with a ratchet drive but can't even get to it even with a 1/4' drive. Am sure I should be able to get a ring spanner on it but before I take it off just wanted to ask anyone who has done this how do I torque it back up when putting it back together? If I cant access it with a small ratchet drive I doubt a torque wrench will fit as the frame curves just over those front bolts on both sides. Do I need any special tools or is there any other way  lie taking the rad off?

• Member Contributer

You basically have three options:

1. Use a box end wrench and estimate the torque.  Torque spec is 9 lbs-ft...not much.

2. Use a torque adapter, which might not be long enough.

3. Use a Motion Pro adapter that allows use of a std. box end wrench as an adapter.  You'll need to do the measurement of wrench length and requisite math.

I went with 1 and it's worked out fine.

• Member Contributer

Go with option 1, 12Nm (in our speak) is not much.

If you CAN access a cam cover bolt elswhere on the engine, get a "feel" for 12Nm.

As long asyou give each bolt about the same force you will be good to go.  (Just did so on my VF400F)

• Member Contributer

Make sure you replace and position the PAIR o-rings properly.  If you notice you're burning oil afterwards, that'll be the reason.

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On 9/3/2019 at 9:13 AM, Marsman99 said:

Make sure you replace and position the PAIR o-rings properly.  If you notice you're burning oil afterwards, that'll be the reason.

+1 on this.    Easy to miss.

(edit: oops..... didn't realize this was last fall  🙂 )

Archived