Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CoyoteChris

Three types of throttle locks

Recommended Posts

OK, bought a Kaoko throttle lock for 2015 VFR 800 F with Honda heated grips (HND 29) not to be confused with the HND 31 for non- heated grips. On sale for $128. Its coming.   Normally I use the NEP type throttle lock  but I dont know if I can get the rubber lip of the grip  outboard of the rim on the plastic throttle tube on a heated grip for clearance.  Other than that, I could machine the switch housing face to make it fit.  I have never tried the lever but have one coming for the experience, although the way the rubber is on the heated grip, there isnt much room for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am so glad I saw this post as I just realized I have ordered the wrong kaoko throttle lock. I have heated grips and ordered the one for non heated grips but was able to cancel the order in time. So thank you for that! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For others checking this thread, here is the on that works best for me. Simple, inexpensive, and easy to apply or release. Of course, I'd prefer a true cruise control.

 

black383.jpg

 

 

cruise2.png

Edited by Lorne
hit submit to soon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Indiekixx said:

I am so glad I saw this post as I just realized I have ordered the wrong kaoko throttle lock. I have heated grips and ordered the one for non heated grips but was able to cancel the order in time. So thank you for that! 

It was a near thing for me also...they should have put in the description of one that it wasnt for the other, or one was for F and one was for FD. Oh well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lorne said:

For others checking this thread, here is the on that works best for me. Simple, inexpensive, and easy to apply or release. Of course, I'd prefer a true cruise control.

 

black383.jpg

 

 

cruise2.png

I have one like this on order but with a bigger thumb activator. The problem with using this on an FD is the taper of the rubber off the rubber flange. It is not abrupt but about 45 degrees on the heated grips. I have small hands and there is little room as it is to put my hand on the grip. But I wanted to try it.  The biggest problem with this mechanism is the fact that its a friction device but only in one direction. If you want more throttle, you must open the throttle AND reset the lever, unlike the Kaoko or NEP. I will try the Kaoko and if that is a pain I will find a way to put on an NEP. I have used the NEP since 1985 and have no complaints.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never liked the Go Cruise, went for a Scottoiler Crampbuster instead. 

YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1 September 2019 at 8:30 AM, CoyoteChris said:

OK, bought a Kaoko throttle lock for 2015 VFR 800 F with Honda heated grips (HND 29) not to be confused with the HND 31 for non- heated grips. On sale for $128. Its coming.   Normally I use the NEP type throttle lock  but I dont know if I can get the rubber lip of the grip  outboard of the rim on the plastic throttle tube on a heated grip for clearance.  Other than that, I could machine the switch housing face to make it fit.  I have never tried the lever but have one coming for the experience, although the way the rubber is on the heated grip, there isnt much room for it. 

Well that's a little confusing. Just checked mine which I fitted a few years ago it's the HND31, and I most certainly have heated grips. Installed without issue and works a treat!

Think it's more about the internal dia of the tube rather than heated grips or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy.