Help with fuel supply tube removal.

stuartb3502

• Member Contributer

Hi,

Over the last couple of weeks I've been working on trying to derust the tank on my 99 after a period of storage (won't make this error again!).  After derusting and then eventually replacing the level sender (due to corrsion of the contacts), pump assembly (2nd hand - became the simpler option after trying to replace individual degraded parts) and fuel filter (precaution), I have just realised that there is also some light surface rust inside the fuel banjo at the tank end.

So I think I need to remove and at a minimum clean up this pipe or source another (new ones are unavailable but there seem to be quite a few used for sale).  If I'm lucky I'll find it's clean at the throttle body end (ever the optimist).

The problem is that the fuel tube sealing nut at the throttle body end of the tube is tucked in beind the frame rail.  So I know I won't be able to torque this up again afterwards.  

Any bright ideas?  It seems my options would be to a) remove the throttle bodies (which fills me with dread at the moment) or b) get an open-ended crowfoot/spanner type inserts which wll work with my torque wrench.  These seem to run to about the same as I paid for the torque wrench!

Assuming I solve this issue, anyone care to comment on my chances of my injectors not being blocked?  I have not attempted to start the bike since pulling it out of storage although I did start it a year ago (it ran fine).

Should I assume the worst and figure out how to pull the injectors and send for cleaning?

Thanks very much,

Stuart

• Member Contributer

Sorry - follow up question.  Does anyone know of the fuel feed hose on the 2002-2009 VFR800A will fit on a 99?  The part numbers are different.  I've fitted a pump assembly from a 2008 and it was identical apart from different coating on the metal surfaces (clear rather than colour zinc passivated).  Anyone feel like taking a tape measure to their VFR800A/6th generation fuel hose and try to measure between the banjo centres?

Stuart

• Member Contributer

Hi Well, I’ve removed it which was simple enough and ordered a set of clawfoot spanner fittings for a 3/8 drive. Good news is that fuel rail end of the hose and fuel rail inner bore is clean. I may have got lucky. So will replace hose once I get some crush washers and the open end fittings and cross fingers.

• Member Contributer

For anyone Googling.  The original part is no longer available new from Honda.  I don't know if there is a replacement part number yet.  I looked at sourcing a 6th gen item (note that the fuel pump assembly is to all intents and purposes the same and fits (caveat - not actually run the bike with it yet, but will confirm when I do).  The 6th gen fuel supply hose is NOT the same as the 5th gen.  The 5th gen has a curved joint at the tank end and roughly straight at the fuel rail end.  The 6th gen has a curve at both ends.  I don't know whether it would still fit or not as I don't have one - just going by photos.  

• Member Contributer

Replacement hose fitted.  Using clawfoot adapter on torque wrench was a little fiddly, but it worked fine.  All back together and no leaks.  Bike did not want to fire up at first.  Pulled a plug, good spark, but no sign of fuel.  After a few weeks of this job getting bigger and more difficult panic starts to set in.

Try again - that sound different - she's trying.  She starts.  Won't idle run without choke and some throttle blips make it stall.  OK - partial success better than none.

Have some lunch.  Try again - then suddenly she's idling perfectly.  Not ridden yet as I need to bleed clutch (will get brakes, oil etc) at a minimum before trying, but definitely looking up.

I've shot of a lot of video and pictures.  It may take me some time to pull something together, but in the meantime, if anyone is trying to do similar, I'll try to answer.

Stuart

Archived