Does this VIN sticker look right ?

EazyRider

I noticed this odd thing in a picture of the local VFR I'm considering. 

I haven't seen it in person yet, waiting to get the money together before i inspect and test ride. But this VIN sticker is bothering me. 

At first, I thought maybe someone tried to peel it off and part of it tore, but then I noticed the location looks off.

Every other picture I can find of this sticker shows it positioned a little below this one. Makes me wonder. 

Is there a VIN tag anywhere else on the frame, like near the headstock tube ? 

VFR VIN.png

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, EazyRider said:

Is there a VIN tag anywhere else on the frame, like near the headstock tube ? 

No VIN tag, but the s/n is stamped onto the headstock and on rear of the engine just ahead of the shock.

The 1998-2001 service manual shows this Page 1-3, and much more useful information as well. Peruse the Downloads section of this very forum and you will find a pdf version freely available. In the meantime:

1998-2001_VFR800_VIN.jpg

• Member Contributer

It does seem a bit high.  My US-spec bike has it lower, too.

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

Fwiw, here's how the VIN tag was positioned on my '98 VFR800 (Canadian model) when brand new.

What's important is whether the frame & engine number match, and match the number on the tag. 

98_VFR800.jpg

Thanks for all the very useful replies. 

I will check the frame and engine numbers. 

My concern is the frame was swapped at some point and the sticker reapplied from the original. 

Lorne, your photo lines up with all the others I've seen on the internet. The top of that sticker is always lined up with the "crease" in the frame. The one in the picture I posted looks fishy. 

After searching craigslist for an hour, I managed to find another 2001 in a different state (VA) that has the sticker in the "high position". 

Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 2.22.36 AM.png

I wonder if it's a production variance ? I haven't seen this with any other year. And I've found other 2001's that look just like Lorne's '98. Very strange. 

Also during my search effort, I found a 2001 with only 14k miles for about the same price as the local bike with 40k miles and dodgy sticker. It looks really mint, but not a lot of upgrades besides a slip on pipe. Only catch is it's about 1500 miles away. Decisions decisions... 

Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 2.32.38 AM.png

• Member Contributer

Looks like the way my ‘99 came. Small crash pushed the edge of the fairing into the sticker and tore it a little. Eventually I peeled it off and it’s on my toolbox. 

• Member Contributer

I've been burned before on vehicles, so I'm pretty skittish. A deal that doesn't feel right, usually isn't. I guess it would depend on how much patience I had and how many I was seeing on the market.

Well I'm bummed out. I decided I would fly out this weekend and buy that mint one with 14k miles but the ad got deleted. Guess it was sold. Not surprising, it was a steal for $2000. There is another like new, low mileage, 2001 at a dealer in California but they're asking twice as much, plus I'd have to pay sales tax + bs dealer fees. And there is a guy in Wyoming with a 98 with only 6000 miles but he wants $6000. More than I can justify.

Maybe I'll sit tight until the weather gets colder. It's going to be hard to bite on something when I missed such a good deal. 😞

With bikes like these, the mileage may not be as important as the service history. Tires and fluid changes will cost the same regardless of mileage. Ask questions and be sure you trust the seller if you are going to fly and ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, EazyRider said:

Well I'm bummed out. I decided I would fly out this weekend and buy that mint one with 14k miles but the ad got deleted. Guess it was sold. Not surprising, it was a steal for $2000. There is another like new, low mileage, 2001 at a dealer in California but they're asking twice as much, plus I'd have to pay sales tax + bs dealer fees. And there is a guy in Wyoming with a 98 with only 6000 miles but he wants $6000. More than I can justify.

Maybe I'll sit tight until the weather gets colder. It's going to be hard to bite on something when I missed such a good deal. 😞

$6000 is more than I paid for my ‘99 in ‘03!

7 hours ago, BuzznerSuntrusts said:

$6000 is more than I paid for my ‘99 in ‘03!

Yeah, 6k seems really high for a 21 year old bike, even with low miles. I know the market for used sportbikes is pretty soft. Less people riding nowadays compared with 20 years ago. 

17 hours ago, Marvelicious said:

It might be worth posting your criteria... 5th gen I assume, but what else? Clean title? Mileage? 

Yes, I definitely want 5th generation.  

Clean title for sure. Mileage, I'm open. Although I'd have a better feeling about one that doesn't have a ton of miles. And It seems like bikes with lower miles usually have better cosmetics. I'd prefer red to yellow. (Only because my Aprilia was yellow so I want a change of pace) They didn't import any silver 5th gens into the US, correct ? 

And absolutely no crash damage. 

3 hours ago, Marvelicious said:

Thanks for the lead. I noticed that one earlier today. Looks pretty good in the picture. It's about 100 miles north of Seattle. I wonder if the seller would pick me up at the airport ? I'll think about it. 

I know this is the 5th generation board, but what's the deal with the 8th generation bikes ? I've seen a few used 2014s for cheap (not a lot more than some ask for 5th gens) and a dealer in Dallas Texas is selling brand new leftover 2014 VFR 800s for 6.4k. The cycle trader ad says he's got 9 of them. Seems insanely cheap for a new VFR 800 with warranty. But if it seems to good to be true... makes me wonder why there were so many left over. 

• Member Contributer

For one thing, new bikes aren't selling well, plain and simple. Part of the trouble is that you can reasonably find a 20 year old machine with 20 thousand miles on it that needs a little minor tlc to be in near perfect condition.

The 8th gen is a great machine in that they corrected a lot of the little annoyances... We could all wish they had never gone to chain drive cams, and you may prefer another generation cosmetically (I prefer my 6th in that respect) but they really dialed it in. The trouble is that they didn't really break any new ground. They're competing directly with a bike they made in the 90s. Not a good move if you want to move units out the door. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 9/3/2019 at 10:49 PM, EazyRider said:

Someone is asking $6000 for a 21 year old motorcycle that sold for $10,000 when brand new????

52 minutes ago, interceptor69 said:

Someone is asking $6000 for a 21 year old motorcycle that sold for $10,000 when brand new????

https://eastidaho.craigslist.org/mcy/d/moose-1998-honda-vfr-800f1-interceptor/6966121338.html

Yeah, seems extremely optimistic. Even more when you consider it's located in a remote part of Wyoming. For most potential buyers, that's way off the beaten path. Although the same bike on Cycletrader says 5500 obo. I don't understand the mentality of someone that buys a new motorcycle and only rides it 6000 miles over 20+ years. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, interceptor69 said:

... and to top it off, new old stock bikes are still popping up at dealerships for under $9000!

Edit: Oh, excuse me... Under $7000!

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2014-Honda-VFR-800-Interceptor-5008715786

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, Marvelicious said:

... and to top it off, new old stock bikes are still popping up at dealerships for under $9000!

Edit: Oh, excuse me... Under $7000!

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2014-Honda-VFR-800-Interceptor-5008715786

Good find Marvelicious. And you make a good point.

But when I see these "brand new" bikes on the floor (admittedly 2014 is an extreme example), I think about how it might have spent those five years at the dealer(s). Probably not with loving care. And I do replace tires that are more than five years old. And fluids. Etc. 

Tough choice between 1998 and 2014 if you are looking to buy though.

• Member Contributer

True, but I'll bet at this point you could probably talk them into a set of tires at cost to move a five year old "new" bike... start by asking for them free. Probably get them to flush the fluids as well, depending on if you trust them to actually do it. 

Archived