SPORT tourer

CoyoteChris

• Member Contributer

WEll, she's coming together...risers, sliders, big foot,  Oprah bags ($100 to the locksmith to put the tumblers together)

Next up, tank protectors, throttle lock, Motech soft luggage rack, and maybe some windscreen lip or replacement.

Anyone have input on Windscreen variable lips or replacement screens or both? I am 6 ft 2 in.

sport tourer.JPG

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, Calculon said:

Very nice. What are “Oprah bags”?

Imagine looking at the south end of Oprah going north....these bags are wider than the FJR's but they are nice bags....

vfr 1 small.JPG

• Member Contributer

That's the thing that has always kept me away from hard bags... they just spoil the look for me. It's like going to the class reunion and discovering that hot girl never hit the gym after having a few kids. Plus they all seem to mount to things that I don't have on my bike... passenger pegs, stock fender mount, that sort of stuff. They would be really nice on long trips, but I'd have to come up with a way to create an easily removable mount that works with my configuration. The Givi quick lock or whatever they're called won't do it.

• Member Contributer
54 minutes ago, Marvelicious said:

That's the thing that has always kept me away from hard bags..

In fairness, the 6th gen Honda panniers are a *lot* narrower than a set of Givi. And not much wider than the RKA 47 litre saddlebags I used previously. 

I can attest that they are no wider than my handlebars and I haven't snagged a car whilst lane splitting into Santa Cruz.

The bridge too far for me are tail trunks, perched on high above and behind the seat.

It all depends on how much gear you need for a multi-day trip, though.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Marvelicious said:

. they just spoil the look for me. It's like going to the class reunion and discovering that hot girl never hit the gym after having a few kids.

Masterful analogy sir, now every time I look at my 8th gen with bags I'm going to think about that.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Marvelicious said:

That's the thing that has always kept me away from hard bags... they just spoil the look for me. It's like going to the class reunion and discovering that hot girl never hit the gym after having a few kids. Plus they all seem to mount to things that I don't have on my bike... passenger pegs, stock fender mount, that sort of stuff. They would be really nice on long trips, but I'd have to come up with a way to create an easily removable mount that works with my configuration. The Givi quick lock or whatever they're called won't do it.

Ideally, on this bike, which I see as a sport tourer, it would have smaller bags for daily use  with the option of putting on big lids for touring.  But no matter. I toured with soft luggage till I bought my 2003 Kawasaki C10. Then I was hooked on panniers. Groceries? Mail? Garbage to the gas station? Tools? No problem.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think top boxes are UUUUUUGGGGLLLY! My bike is a beautiful thing....  😉

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, lazyeye said:

Masterful analogy sir, now every time I look at my 8th gen with bags I'm going to think about that.

Sorry about that... Once you see it, right?

I definitely wish I had just a bit of convenient storage permanently on the bike. Since I have no intention of re-installing passenger pegs, I've been thinking about turning the rear portion of my seat and the pillion cover into a mini trunk. Still scratching my head over the details. Not enough for groceries, but at least enough to keep some tools, registration and small purchases.

I'm just too stubborn about the looks to suck it up with the permanent hard bags. I'm definitely with you guys on the top box though... Like you're being chased by a low flying UFO!

• Member Contributer
48 minutes ago, Dutchy said:

An expandable wee tankbag will suit your purpose

az.thumb.jpg.11df752e0cb5cd8c8f7f4573a8ced914.jpg

They do one you can wee into now? 

• Member Contributer

1 hour ago, Dutchy said:

An expandable wee tankbag will suit your purpose

az.thumb.jpg.11df752e0cb5cd8c8f7f4573a8ced914.jpg

Got one... It's okay, but I really want something solid that I can truly ignore except when I need whatever is inside it. I can say with absolute confidence that the passenger pegs are never going back on the bike, so it's just foam getting a free ride for now. My seat is already a custom job I did myself, this is just evolution.

As for wee in the tank bag, the one I have has a port for a hydration bladder... I guess you could convert it to a catheter! :goofy:

• Member Contributer
43 minutes ago, Skids said:

They do one you can wee into now? 

Scottish wee.... 😎

• Member Contributer
14 minutes ago, Marvelicious said:

My seat is already a custom job I did myself, this is just evolution.

Tinkering!!!  

Looking forward to see what you come uo with :fing02:

6 hours ago, Marvelicious said:

... hard bags... they just spoil the look for me. It's like going to the class reunion and discovering that hot girl never hit the gym after having a few kids.

I'm married to such a hot girl. Two kids (and over 20 kilograms) later, I still think she's hot, and I still love her like on day 1. So yes, quite analogous : the same applies to my bike ! Even with topcase and side panniers.

13 hours ago, Lorne said:

In fairness, the 6th gen Honda panniers are a *lot* narrower than a set of Givi. And not much wider than the RKA 47 litre saddlebags I used previously. 

I can attest that they are no wider than my handlebars and I haven't snagged a car whilst lane splitting into Santa Cruz.

The bridge too far for me are tail trunks, perched on high above and behind the seat.

It all depends on how much gear you need for a multi-day trip, though.

The 'Oprah' bags look really good. They integrate well with the overall looks of the bike.

Lots of discussion about top cases. They are the ugliest and most versatile thing you can add to your bike. They do disrupt the lines and looks of the bike, but, you can carry stuff....

If you're touring or commuting, I felt the top case was ugly but necessary. If you get one you won't regret it. And... you can always take it off if you don't use it. I planned to have mine on only for long tours but after getting used to it I've had top cases on all my bikes.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Marvelicious said:

There are definitely worse things out there...

Screen Shot 2017-06-09 at 11.44.13 PM.png

I've always thought you really couldn't destroy the looks of a VFR. Boy was I wrong. I wont comment as it would take pages and pages and pages.

55 minutes ago, Grum said:

Ugliest arse on a VFR I've ever seen.

The photographer's shadow at bottom-right indicates the bike is owned by Horus, the hawk-headed god of ancient Egypt, so you might want to cut down on the insults.

• Member Contributer
15 minutes ago, HareBrain said:

The photographer's shadow at bottom-right indicates the bike is owned by Horus, the hawk-headed god of ancient Egypt, so you might want to cut down on the insults.

Holy Sphinx, you're right, spooky shadow.😂

Archived