STREET FIGHTER BUILD - 6th Gen

MOTOPILOT

Hello Fellow VFR Lovers.

I do bike builds on youtube and I'm gearing up to start a new build on my 2004 VFR (6th generation), converting it into a full blown Street Fighter.  A fancy term for an aggressive naked bike - lol.  You can find my youtube channel by just searching MOTO PILOT on google or youtube.

Leading up to the build which starts in the next few weeks, I have been doing a lot of research on here and online in general for certain complicated (and simple) mods.

Most of my plans are fairly straight forward.  Strip the body work.  New subframe build and seat. Modify the current Leo Vince dual upsweep exhaust.  Mount up an Ohlins shock.  Lots of other little mods that are just straight bolt on such as levers, calipers, knobby tires, etc...

My biggest head spin is swapping the front end to Upside Down Forks.  A lot of info out there going in a lot of directions.  But I think I narrowed it down to going with a 2007 or older CBR1000RR front end assembly.  What sucks is I get my parts sponsored by TUCKER.com and their Ohlins for that year bike start at 2008+. Just my luck.  I'd love to be able to put a fresh new set of Ohlins on this build so if anybody knows of a more current model than 2007 that would work, please hit me up at motopilot6@gmail.com.  THE ATTACHED IMAGE WITHOUT A VFR APPLICATION IS FOR OHLINS FORKS

I also saw info about using 50mm RC51 forks with a 929 top clamp since its gull wing.  I imagine so you can drop them to the proper length?OHLINS SHOCKS

I'd also love to upgrade the shock to one with a reservoir.  I saw online that a CBR954 shock would work using a longer upper mount (since the shock is shorter than the VFR) . Problem is TUCKER does not carry an Ohlins for this bike but they do carry plenty of others for CBR's more current.

THE ATTACHED IMAGE WITH A VFR APPLICATION IS FOR OHLINS SHOCKS

I also saw online that rearsets for a 04-07 CBR1000RR can be adapted to the VFR.  I plan to get a set from Vortex.  Anybody done this?

Anyway, I pretty much have amateur knowledge of this VFR machine so if anybody wants to chime in on idea's I'd love to hear them.

And be sure to check with my youtube channel MOTO PILOT if you care to watch this build take shape over multiple episodes.

it will be learning process as I go so bear with me

Cheers. MP

Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 1.26.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 1.27.15 PM.png

• Member Contributer

Knobby tires and UD forks, eh? Brings to mind this creation from Brivemo Motos. Sadly, not a V4 but an impressive piece nonetheless.

image.png.3451d878c6a75c01ee52dfebd5909c0a.png

7 hours ago, Marvelicious said:

Or this ludicrous beast from Icon... conventional forks, but knobbies on a Honda V4...

whoa not sure how i hadn't seen this before, pretty rad. i'd hate to pick that thing up out of the dirt, but it looks cool on my screen at least 😄

https://www.bikeexif.com/honda-vf1000r

• Member Contributer

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I bought my VFR partly due to its looks. Taking the

fairing and related parts off kind of defeats the purpose. I lived through the era of the UJM, so

"naked" bikes don't appeal all that much. I can recognize the work that has gone into building

one, but that's it.

And big "adventure" bikes make very little sense to me. Can you imagine trying to pick up one of

those behemoths on the downside of a slope, or even on level ground? For most people it's just

style over function...again.

I didnt live through the UJM, too young, and not american. My first  memories  of bikes i paid attention to were big gixxer 1100's. Part of the reason i had a 711 fighter.

My understanding is the  american media branded them UJM's since the big 4 all made really similar looking bikes that all had more performance for less money than was currently available. For me, a kind of derrogatory term.

There is nothing universal about a fighter. If  every naked bike is a UJM, that would make every harley a UAM. 

I love fighters, and i heard a mates VFR and fell in love with the sound. didnt care about looks, or perfomance, that sound was magical.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, FJ12Ryder said:

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I bought my VFR partly due to its looks. Taking the

fairing and related parts off kind of defeats the purpose. I lived through the era of the UJM, so

"naked" bikes don't appeal all that much. I can recognize the work that has gone into building

one, but that's it.

And big "adventure" bikes make very little sense to me. Can you imagine trying to pick up one of

those behemoths on the downside of a slope, or even on level ground? For most people it's just

style over function...again.

I grew up in that period where UJMs were just transitioning into other things, but I'm not really with you on the naked bike dislike. I tend to find a lot of faired bikes to look too generic... attractive sure, but not a lot to set many of them apart from others.

Street fighters are hit and miss for me... I really can't get into the fairing that looks like a shovel strapped to the forks, or when they go for that ultra high stinkbug tail. It takes all kinds though.

I was talking to a guy the other day who was referring to adventure bikes as SUVs and that's really a fairly apt metaphor: too big and heavy to do what they're ostensibly designed for, instead they spend all their time on the pavement, not performing as well as they really should so that they can appear capable off-road.

• Member Contributer

Very apt description of the adventure-type bikes. I see quite a few motoring through here on the interstate lookin' nice and clean. 🙂

• Member Contributer

This looks interesting. Good luck with your build, sorry can’t offer any advice but will sure pay attention to your work. 

For my my part I would love a VFR turned into something with the form and ergonomics of a BMW R1200R. 

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Marvelicious said:

: too big and heavy to do what they're ostensibly designed for, instead they spend all their time on the pavement, not performing as well as they really should so that they can appear capable off-road.

A bit like the new Landrover "Defender".....   what an insult to an icon eh?   But it is not my dosh so good luck to the Indians :tongue:

3 hours ago, Halfrider said:

fresh paint keef?

Yeah, but only matte black on the rad shrouds. I put some bar end indicators into the shrouds, so thought i should finally spray them.

Archived