seat cover + seat pad = cheap corbin seat?

dozyproductions

Hey there you guys. Starting to notice that the oem seat isn't comfortable after a couple hours 😉 Situation is that I bought a seat cover (refer to image) without any additional padding in it. They told me the other padded version wouldn't allow the rear cowl to properly mount. Have any of you bought a 'seat pad' and anchored it under a seat cover? If so, was it comfortable and did it still allow the cowel to be mounted? 

Every used VFR I bought had corbin seats so the oem is a new sensation. Any of you think that cover + pad could be a reasonable alternative? Any inputs are appreciated. Cheers. 

1824512753_seatcover.thumb.jpg.11acd512da330e5c74fa27577018c46a.jpg

• Member Contributer

I had your exact problem on a 5th gen. I bought a leather seat cover & fitted it over the vinyl OEM one. It’s been great since. No additional padding & the seat cowl fits fine.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, dozyproductions said:

Hey there you guys. Starting to notice that the oem seat isn't comfortable after a couple hours 😉 Situation is that I bought a seat cover (refer to image) without any additional padding in it. They told me the other padded version wouldn't allow the rear cowl to properly mount. Have any of you bought a 'seat pad' and anchored it under a seat cover? If so, was it comfortable and did it still allow the cowel to be mounted? 

Every used VFR I bought had corbin seats so the oem is a new sensation. Any of you think that cover + pad could be a reasonable alternative? Any inputs are appreciated. Cheers. 

1824512753_seatcover.thumb.jpg.11acd512da330e5c74fa27577018c46a.jpg

Oooohhh... A couple hours? The stock seat wasn't comfortable immediately on contact with my backside! The Sargent aftermarket seat was okay for an hour or two...

The best so far has been the seat I custom shaped for myself. I dug out the stock foam with a "tiger's paw" pad on an angle grinder and added firmer foam in layers gluing with 3M headliner adhesive, then shaping with the grinder and hand sanding pads. A seamstress friend helped me make a new cover... The original had no chance of fitting. I'll see if I can't dig up a couple construction photos for you if you're interested. I don't know if it's easier than people make it sound or if I just got lucky.

14 hours ago, Marvelicious said:

Oooohhh... A couple hours? The stock seat wasn't comfortable immediately on contact with my backside! The Sargent aftermarket seat was okay for an hour or two...

The best so far has been the seat I custom shaped for myself. I dug out the stock foam with a "tiger's paw" pad on an angle grinder and added firmer foam in layers gluing with 3M headliner adhesive, then shaping with the grinder and hand sanding pads. A seamstress friend helped me make a new cover... The original had no chance of fitting. I'll see if I can't dig up a couple construction photos for you if you're interested. I don't know if it's easier than people make it sound or if I just got lucky.

Let's say my 32 old back can only give it 30 minutes 😉 If you have any pictures available then please share if you don't mind! Didn't even think of cutting up the oem seat too much but that sounds like the logical conclusion to to an actual upgrade. Does Tiger Pad make tires?  Thanks for the response btw.  

Found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=162&v=lfRk3YETUkI

His materials: High density foam -> medium density foam -> high density memory foam -> lower density memory foam -> anti slip material -> seat cover. Seems like he totally rebuilt the seat by cutting off almost all of the original material and then uses enough foam to get back to make a slighter higher sitting position after all the layers are added. 

• Member Contributer

Tiger's paw:

Weiler_Tiger-X.jpg

It makes a huge mess, but once you get a feel for it, you can shave away foam very efficiently.

My process was pretty similar, though I only used a single density of polyethylene closed cell foam that I got from here. I may go back and add a thin layer (6mm?) of something softer over top, but I wanted to make sure my shape was right before I added anything else.

4u7zEYL.jpg&key=a2ad8406dd09ea0786ad8cc0

StcBd62.jpg&key=182cac89f18d44659c12f993

The cover is marine vinyl and the mesh is stitched over the top in the seat area. The mesh is something I ordered online that they call "spacer mesh". It's most commonly used in backpacks in the panel between the pack and your back to promote airflow. I rode through a few rainstorms yesterday and the extra airflow definitely helps that area dry out.

Archived