Manual Mistakes?

CoyoteChris

• Member Contributer

Now that I have had my bike a week, it is time to put on the R and G sliders (tomorrow).  These look very high quality.....

Whenever I take plastic off a bike, I make up a "screw board" so when I take off a bolt/screw/clip I can just stick it in a hole in a piece of cardboard next to the picture of that hole. So I am reading the maintenance manual on page 2-4  and ITS instructions on how to take off the right under cowl and it says there is a 5 mm socket bolt and a 6 mm socket bolt. My bike has 2 ea 5mm socket bolts.  The instructions for the left are messed up also. No biggie....(the owner's manual doesnt give the size of the bolts and seems to be better described anyway) but I just wondered if I am tired or if everyone's 2015 is like that.

(To the guy who wrote up the R&G instructions....possibley the worst piece of tech writing I have seen in 30 years of fixing aircraft, business radios, and motorcycles.....I will find you...I will wack you with a wet copy of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" till you cry like a little girl)  😆

screw board.JPG

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, VFR4Lee said:

Nice idea for the "screw board".

Too many things have inscrutable instructions written in ESL.

I can almost translate the British to American but they dont number the instructions and all the relevant pics are put away from the text. The pics are zoomed in too close so you dont know what you are looking at,  So I took my own pics and labeled the hardware with the info in the Honda manual....I will take a pic of their instructions...its like they were written in aribic and traslated into Swaili and then into Chineese and back into British! 😜

If you're already having trouble, being an American, with decoding British English, what then should people say who aren't speaking English as their mother tongue ? 😓

But then again, reading the instructions, and looking carefully at the bike : it really are 2 different bolts !!! The one is 5 mm, the other one is 6 mm indeed... as described in the instructions 😎

It seems to me that you're not only having problems with the (English) language, but also with the metric system 😉 (to be clear : I'm not all too serious here 😉)

• Member Contributer

Can I please point out that Honda Service Manuals are not written by anyone speaking English as their first language, and certainly not a Brit.

I'd also like to point out that there is no such thing as the "British English" language; there's the "English" language and there's what you lot speak! :goofy:  :beer:

• Member Contributer

An American colleque mentioned she bought a new shag carpet...... "Oh really?" :tongue:

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, sudolea said:

If you're already having trouble, being an American, with decoding British English, what then should people say who aren't speaking English as their mother tongue ? 😓

But then again, reading the instructions, and looking carefully at the bike : it really are 2 different bolts !!! The one is 5 mm, the other one is 6 mm indeed... as described in the instructions 😎

It seems to me that you're not only having problems with the (English) language, but also with the metric system 😉 (to be clear : I'm not all too serious here 😉)

I stand corrected!  The actual diameter of the bolts are indeed different.  The metric nomonclature has no relation to the actual wrench/socket/allen size of the tool used to remove them. 😀

"The rain in Spain stays mainly in the Plain"

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Dutchy said:

An American colleque mentioned she bought a new shag carpet...... "Oh really?" :tongue:

And what IS a bonnet and what is a boot?  What are fitting instructions. What is near and far side?  

I am learning English better than I have been since watching all those period pieces on the BBC Telly.

• Member Contributer
18 minutes ago, CoyoteChris said:

And what IS a bonnet and what is a boot?  What are fitting instructions. What is near and far side?  

I am learning English better than I have been since watching all those period pieces on the BBC Telly.

I do like what Americans have done with the english language but I do have to refer to one of your great language and cultural education programs before I go there. It is called The Simpsons, I don't know if you are familiar with it?

• Member Contributer
47 minutes ago, Egg on Leggs said:

I do like what Americans have done with the english language but I do have to refer to one of your great language and cultural education programs before I go there. It is called The Simpsons, I don't know if you are familiar with it?

Hey, cool your jets, Homer!  😂 (OK, I have never actually watched a full episode of the Simpsons but you cant avoid it)  Actually, I would be happy if everyone Spoke and treated each other  like in "Pride and Prejudice" or Downton Abby.  I dont like what our teens are doing to the language. 

(Patton said we are two peoples separated by a common language.)

14 minutes ago, CoyoteChris said:

Ha!  The screws/bolts/push pins/pushlocks are all out and in the board!

Time to tear off some plastic.

Now that I think of it, I made a video not so long ago, which is going some of the steps you want to have more information about. Even if my video handles disabling the self-cancelling effect of the indicators, the panels have to be removed, so the video is partly useable for what you intend to do ...

• Member Contributer

"Benjamin..."

"Yes Sir.."

"I have one word for you."

"Yes sir?"

"Plastic"

(To the guy who put on my original oil filter..would you please check the torque on your airgun?  Its 19 ft-lbs, not 1900 ft lbs.)

plastic.JPG

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, VFR4Lee said:

I learned my bits of British English from Monty Python. 😄

May I refer the Honourable Gentleman to my previous post! :pissed: :wink:

• Member Contributer

So, as long as we're taking the piss (as you limeys would say) with regard to English... I'm pretty sure we earned a pass on abusing the language however we please since you aren't all speaking German right now! 😁 That's if evicting you from our borders in the first place wasn't enough.

Sorry, I had to return fire a little since Chris seems far too nice to do it himself. All jokes aside, it's nice to see you diving in with both feet Chris!

• Member Contributer

"Whatever you do, donot mention the ...... " :tongue:

PS: for me too, there is no "British" english, but scots, english, oirish and welsh....

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, CoyoteChris said:

The sliders are on.  Interesting that the old engine mounting bolt is hollow. To save weight?

slider done.JPG

"Well, bugger me with a fish fork! Them look sturdy!":goofy:

10 hours ago, Marvelicious said:

So, as long as we're taking the piss (as you limeys would say) with regard to English... I'm pretty sure we earned a pass on abusing the language however we please since you aren't all speaking German right now! 😁 

Much easier to win a fight when you start half way through, eh?

11 hours ago, Marvelicious said:

So, as long as we're taking the piss (as you limeys would say) with regard to English... I'm pretty sure we earned a pass on abusing the language however we please since you aren't all speaking German right now!

POTUS's language is spreading, so to see.

• Member Contributer
12 minutes ago, sudolea said:

POTUS's language is spreading, so to see.

Well, I would have hoped that a bit of friendly cross Atlantic ribbing would have been taken in the spirit it was intended, which is very much in the spirit that the language ribbing was taken by me... all in fun. Nothing new to my mind, we've been lobbing this stuff back and forth since we stopped shooting at each other. My apologies if the difference between that and the sort of drivel that comes out of the great pumpkin wasn't obvious.

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, Marvelicious said:

So, as long as we're taking the piss (as you limeys would say) with regard to English... I'm pretty sure we earned a pass on abusing the language however we please since you aren't all speaking German right now! 😁 That's if evicting you from our borders in the first place wasn't enough.

Sorry, I had to return fire a little since Chris seems far too nice to do it himself. All jokes aside, it's nice to see you diving in with both feet Chris!

Ouch...glad you said that....not me....I found out bigtime on other forums  that claiming to  bailing out Europe twice in one century brought more flak than a B17 Bomb wing.  Best to play nice. I want to go to Normandy and England some day for the history sites and I dont want anyone yelling at me. 😉

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Marvelicious said:

Well, I would have hoped that a bit of friendly cross Atlantic ribbing would have been taken in the spirit it was intended, which is very much in the spirit that the language ribbing was taken by me... all in fun. Nothing new to my mind, we've been lobbing this stuff back and forth since we stopped shooting at each other. My apologies if the difference between that and the sort of drivel that comes out of the great pumpkin wasn't obvious.

Great pumkin? 😆

• Member Contributer

Armies only move (and suffer) AFTER those at the controls decide that THEIR interest will benefit from it.  USA didnot move for a long time on WWI (America 1st) and it took Pearl Habour to wake up and realise that bad things happen when you see bad things happening and do SFA. Armies only move.....

I applaud the men and women that lay down life and limb for human ideals.

Still plenty countries where (while German not being the language spoken :tongue:) people are mistreated, dicriminated or excluded based on their ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation..

Back to motorcycles, I personally think all Suzukis should be banned... OK, Rins may stay to stuff MM:goofy:

motogp-british-gp-2019-race-wi-3.jpg.cbe23800de470375013a3fcabbf8f00a.jpg

Archived