Just bought a '98 VFR800

~28k mi, and looks great! Any tips or initial quirks of the bike I should know about?

I've heard about the r/r problems, and it seems like I'll have to get a volt meter going soon. Also, sort of wondering about the speedometer - I think it needs a speedo healer. Normally 5mph off doesn't bother me, but this bike seems way off. Then, I think the PAIR-snorkel mod is really popular right?

• Member Contributer

Welcome and congratulations on the bike. You'll have to post a picture of it.

Voltmeter - recommend a 3 wire one, cheap as chips on flea bay. You can wire this directly to the battery the best place to monitor your charging voltage. The third wire simply goes to any switched 12v supply, this powers the voltmeter up when you turn your ignition on. No relays required.

Speedometer - Might pay to check if you have the standard sprockets fitted, Front = 17teeth, Rear = 43teeth. That will definelty throw your speedo out if non standard are fitted.

Snorkel Mod - Forget it.

PAIR Mod - Has merit.

Enjoy your new toy. :wheel:

Cheers.:beer:

• Member Contributer

I do miss my 5G!

If the speedo is well off, your bike may have altered gearing. The speedo drives off the front sprocket bolt, and the plastic coupler can get damaged on refitting the sprocket cover, and then can also cause whacky speedo behaviour. The coupler is a cheap and easy thing to replace if needed.

Personally I found no benefit from the snorkel/flapper elimination, just added some airbox noise. PAIR elimination helps to get rid of unwanted plumbing and is a good thing. If you don't already have it, get a slip-on muffler to uncork some V4 goodness. I had a Delkevic stainless pipe and it was great.

I had no issues with the RR (had been already replaced by a PO) but did see effects from corrosion in the 3P connector between the alternator and RR (I believe a common failure point), my solution was to cut out the connector and solder and heatshrink the wires. A voltmeter showed the benefits of that. 

The VFR (like most bikes) responds really well to suspension upgrades, and these will benefit you every single time that you ride. At the least you should replace the front springs and compression damping components, rebound is less critical to modify. A new or at least re-sprung shock is also a good investment.

The linked brakes on the 5G are good but do not be neglectful about maintenance, if the SMC seizes it can cause the back brake to lock-up or at least bind. You'll definitely need to read the manual for the correct bleeding procedure. 

Your bike is now 21 years old and all the rubbery bits can get a bit suspect; as stated above check the thermostat and if you need to delve in there, I would replace the throttle body rubbers, water hoses and elbow o-rings at the same time..

Don't forget to post up some pictures, we love that around here!

IMG_4233.jpg

• Member Contributer

Get a GPS app going on your phone.  I like Ulysse, but there are a bunch of them out there.   Find a long straight stretch and run your bike at indicated 50 mph long enough to get a stable GPS reading.  The difference in whatever reading you get less than 50, double it and you will pretty much have your % error without breaking laws.  Running  a true 100 mph and checking the indicated speed is a hair more accurate and a lot more fun, but more dangerous and more costly if a trooper spots you.  Stock bikes over the years have been reported anywhere from around 3% to nearly 10%.  I'm sure the variances have come from measurement errors, different tire heights due to brand and wear, different generations, not knowing about sprocket changes on used bikes, etc.   My 2004 bike was about 7%, and my 2008 bike is a about 6%, IIRC.  My 2007 Anniversary bike has aftermarket sprockets and is way off.  It's the only one with a speedo healer.  

Archived