Hello VFRD !

EazyRider

Hey guys. Found this forum through google.  

I sold my last sportbike earlier this year. But i"m getting the itch to buy another. Think I want to go more sport touring than hardcore this time. I'm getting too old for low clip ons. :D

I'm giving serious consideration to a 5th gen VFR800fi. Glad to be here ! 

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum EazyRider. I would judge you as having fabulous taste in mc's should you make that choice.

Having owned five fifth gens (two were KIA'd by deer) I'd say you can't go wrong with a fifth. My first had 105,000+ miles on it when it was KIA'd. And it was still going as strong as new.

Fifth gens are the only VFRs with fuel injection and gear driven cams. They are the fastest VFRs and get the best gas mileage. But of course I am biased toward these fabulous machines.  

And I'll add a little known (my opinion) fact about fifth gen VFRs. Motorcycle Consumer News (the best IMHO) used to publish statistics for all make for the last certain years. At the end of the articles they published some stats of the "most" in a bunch of classes. Fifth gen VFRs tied for sixth place for best 60-0 mph stopping at 108.something feet. Most mc mags rate 120 foot stops as great. And I've surprised myself with just what great stoppers these machines are.

I will emphasize that both the front and rear brake be used together of best results. When I had my brake pads examined at my Great Honda Dealer in Minneapolis, Honda Town, the service advisor noticed my front pads were worn much more than the rears. He suggested always using them together. And doing so, I might add, will reduce front-end dive and produce more of a "squat".

So look hard at fifth gens. Probability is you will love it.

Archived