Motorcycle hearing protection/earplugs

LPadilla34

• Member Contributer

I went with custom molded ear plugs with tiny Sony digital
speakers... they cut 30db of wind noise and allow every note of the
music through even at low volumes... perfect...

s7uGE8b.jpg
i5BEcBR.jpg

I added a light weight Xact Sirius satellite receiver... Moozic non stop...

vg65Hwb.jpg

I tested 3 sets of the custom molded ear plugs that are on the market
and the ones made by Marylin Navia at Now Hear This are the most
comfortable and the quietest not to mention they do not move out of
place putting the skid lid on...

http://plugup.com/cart/index.php

And finally I interfaced Mr.RC45's Oh Shit Detector...
0PkYEzb.jpg

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, RustyA said:

Losing your hearing is no joke. I'm 63 and just started to hearing aids. Lost most of the high frequencies from years of working around gas turbines and steam turbines. I had a hard time hearing some people. Mostly women. Their voices fall in the ranges I could no longer hear. It took my wife about 5 years to talk me into the hearing aids. Wish I would have gotten them sooner. Protect your hearing. Once gone, it ain't coming back. Pick ear plugs that are comfortable. If they are not. You will not wear them like you should. 

I have the ringing in the ears. To me it sounds like summer crickets all the time.  With the crickets and the new voice in my head that says "Low Battery" for when the hearing aid batteries get low. Combine that with the other voices in my skull. I hate it when they have a staff meeting. 

My dad has been complaining for years that women all mumble... unfortunately, I'm just starting to notice what he's talking about. 

I only hear the crickets in my head sometimes.

Guess it could be worse, because it sucks when they come around.

Coupla good Ronnie James Dio songs helps. Until the singing is over. Then it's back.

1 hour ago, Marvelicious said:

My dad has been complaining for years that women all mumble... unfortunately, I'm just starting to notice what he's talking about. 

I always thought of it as selective hearing loss. Only hear what you wanting to hear. LOL

On 9/15/2019 at 5:08 PM, RustyA said:

I always thought of it as selective hearing loss. Only hear what you wanting to hear. LOL

That;s very different than. But still real. 😄

• Member Contributer

It's kinda funny in a morbid sort of way... Since I punctured the one eardrum, the hearing in that ear is obviously far worse than the other. Walking through the woods, if there's a sound in the distance, I can turn in a circle and it's like a radar sweep. I can tell exactly what direction it came from. 

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I have incredibly disgusting waxy ears. Reusable is just gross for me. I use Howard Leights for work. (Oil and gas industry)

Motorcycle riding, car audio systems, playing drums all contributed to some mild hearing loss in my early 40s now. I have a hard time hearing anyone if there is background noise.

I wear them at work. I refuse to lose hearing from a job, however when riding, the plugs just make all that wind noise go away. Makes it more enjoyable. 

• Member Contributer

Anyone have or tried active noise cancelling plugs or speakers for motorcycle helmets?

• Member Contributer
On 1/17/2020 at 1:16 PM, RC36B said:

Anyone have or tried active noise cancelling plugs or speakers for motorcycle helmets?

I have used active noise canceling with Audio Technica ear buds. Very highly rated and well reviewed piece of kit. They worked well on planes... as matter of  fact, I could hear the bench seats creaking as they were expose to increasing loads during take offs and I could hear peoples conversations two rows away. Unfortunately, canceling wind noise is a tricky business and and there is a background whoosh as the electronics try to compensate and cancel. You end up trading one noise for another.  My hearing loss is substantial from loud radios, concerts, about 100k miles of riding without protection, and 23 years in manufacturing... I have significant “ringing” in my ears after riding with active noise canceling.  Mine sound more like cicadas than crickets ( a simultaneous confluence of  13 & 17 year periods)!

... and you lose the glorious whine of a 5th gen engine singing its high notes!

:wheel:

• Member Contributer
On 1/19/2020 at 12:30 AM, Rush2112 said:

I... and you lose the glorious whine of a 5th gen engine singing its high notes!

:wheel:

I'm pretty sure that glorious whine of the 5th has contributed to my hearing loss, reinforcing the theory that Nothing Is Free.

• Member Contributer
On 1/20/2020 at 1:06 PM, MaxSwell said:

I'm pretty sure that glorious whine of the 5th has contributed to my hearing loss, reinforcing the theory that Nothing Is Free.

Yeah, with the active noise canceling I couldn’t hear the engine. I would have to look at the tach to see if it was running. I thumbed the starter button on a few different occasions thinking the engine was off. My ear buds did a great job canceling engine noise... too good  a job in my opinion. I need that engine feedback when I’m carving twisties to know where I’m at in the power band.  I wish they were able to cancel wind noise as well but they don’t. They aren’t able to produce all the out of phase frequencies to effectively cancel out wind noise. Now I wear my custom molded earplugs I got at TMAC and get the best of both worlds. I hear everything I want to hear but appropriately attenuated to protect what hearing I have left.

Archived