Motorcycle hearing protection/earplugs

LPadilla34

Hey!

I'm Laura from Phoenix, AZ and I ride a 1990 Honda VFR 400. It's actually my dad's but he gave it to me earlier this year and I decided to get it fixed and running. The problem is that I've had a rupture eardrum last June and I'm still feeling the effects of it to this day. My ears have been very sensitive to wind noise even with my helmet on. I've tried foamies but they make my ear canals swollen. I've also tried the self molding ones but they gave me an ear infection. That's how sensitive my ears are nowadays and it sucks!

I'm thinking of getting a pair of earplugs like the ones in this video but I'm still looking for something a bit more cheaper. They have other types of earplugs from their website but I like this one the most.

I'm open to suggestions and recommendations so just fire away!

Thank you all in advance.

• Member Contributer

I use these, they seal well & are very comfortable, made from a really soft silicone. The sound stems make them easy to put in & take out & they come with an alloy container to keep them dirt free. I always hated ear plugs, but then tried these & I forget I have them in.

https://www.auritech.co.uk/universal-fit-earplugs/biker.html

• Member Contributer

This day and age there must be a non-intrusive noise-cancelling system available to fit to a helmet??? The Bose noise-cancelling headphones I have are pretty good but you obviously can't fit them under a helmet.

• Member Contributer

1 hour ago, Skids said:

This day and age there must be a non-intrusive noise-cancelling system available to fit to a helmet???

Bose makes very expensive noise cancelling earplugs that connect to your phone. They have a store at the Outlets at Anthem in Phoenix. You might ask if they have a tryout/return policy to test if they work well for you. And then ask your dad for an early christmas present. 🙂

• Member Contributer

I thought the OP had difficulty with in-ear defenders, hence the mention of noise-cancelling headphones, not in-ear ones.

• Member Contributer
37 minutes ago, Gebruiker said:

Bose makes very expensive noise cancelling earplugs that connect to your phone. They have a store at the Outlets at Anthem in Phoenix. You might ask if they have a tryout/return policy to test if they work well for you. And then ask your dad for an early christmas present. 🙂

Phoenix is some distance from rural Hertfordshire, but thanks. My Bose headphones are fine.

• Member Contributer

I have damaged hearing. Tinnitus caused by loud music (12th row at Rolling Stones concert - ears never stopped rining). 

A friend who works in a noisy place was issued these by his employer:

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-E-A-R-Push-Ins-Earplugs-318-1004-Uncorded-Poly-Bag-1500-Pair-Case/?N=5002385+3294755270&preselect=3293786499&rt=rud

image.png.571464028a9a22f9f252350b1a2ed036.png

They serve me well and really quiet things down. I do not worry very much about ambient sounds. When I first started wearing these I felt sensory deprivation, but that soon passed. 28db reduction. I realized I needed to be more cognitive of all that was going around me; head on a swivel, eyes checking mirrors regularly, etc. 

I wear Flare Isolate ear plugs for work, which is being around large diesel engines. I have yet to try them on my motorcycle but I used to get blackheads from the regular foam plugs. These are metal ends with replaceable foam tips. They work through bone conduction to let you hear details just at a lower volume.

• Member Contributer
22 hours ago, LPadilla34 said:

I'm Laura from Phoenix

Hi Laura!  (don't forget your manners, lads - a friendly greeting ought to be the way you welcome a first time poster)

There are a variety of foam earplugs available from a safety supply shop like Grainger Industrial or AGS Safety - both are in Phoenix.

A little trimming with scissors may help to make them more comfortable.

Good luck,

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, Skids said:

I thought the OP had difficulty with in-ear defenders, hence the mention of noise-cancelling headphones, not in-ear ones.

Yes, that's what the OP wrote. 🙂 LPadilla also wants something inexpensive. And at $250, the Bose earbuds aren't cheap. But if they're available from Bose on a trial basis, and with a money back return policy, then it might be worth trying a pair. What's the downside? It was just an idea.

• Member Contributer

As someone who ruptured an ear drum at one point, I will say that a good seal to protect from gusts and pressure changes is more important for me than overall noise reduction. My helmet is pretty quiet, especially at lower speeds, but if I try to go without, a big truck goes by and blasts me and it feels like someone jammed an ice pick in my right ear. For that sort of thing, I don't see noise canceling helping much.

I'd like to give you a perfect recommendation, but I can't. I'm currently using ISOTunes: they're a ISO hearing protection rated Bluetooth headset, but I think most people would find them uncomfortable under a helmet. They work for me, but I have a giant melon. They're quiet enough shut off, and if I want tunes or directions, the battery is good for around 8-10 hours.

As far as infections go, you might be wise to stick to disposables or perhaps packing something like purell to sanitize the reusables every time you take them out.

• Member Contributer

I had a pair of those foam earplugs custom made ...wore them once, nearly ripped my ears off taking my full face helmet off

Expensive error 

I bought a variety pack with a whole mess of different plugs.

Eventually decided I like the Moldex Comets (NRR25), and bought a box of 50 pairs.

Speak up MaxSwell! What you saying? I can't hear you over the ringing in my ears.

OK, it's not a joke, it sucks. Riding with no ear protection is at least as bad as sitting in front of that Marshall stack.

I've done both.

• Member Contributer
On 8/26/2019 at 2:22 AM, LPadilla34 said:

Hey!

I'm Laura from Phoenix, AZ and I ride a 1990 Honda VFR 400. It's actually my dad's but he gave it to me earlier this year and I decided to get it fixed and running. The problem is that I've had a rupture eardrum last June and I'm still feeling the effects of it to this day. My ears have been very sensitive to wind noise even with my helmet on. I've tried foamies but they make my ear canals swollen. I've also tried the self molding ones but they gave me an ear infection. That's how sensitive my ears are nowadays and it sucks!

I'm thinking of getting a pair of earplugs like the ones in this video but I'm still looking for something a bit more cheaper. They have other types of earplugs from their website but I like this one the most.

BTW Welcome to the asylum Laura. I'd love to see a picture of your machine.

And you've raised a very important issue. I'd not wish damaged hearing on anyone.

Thank you.

• Member Contributer

They do make different sizes of foam ear plugs. My partner has tiny ear canals and can't wear the ones I wear but we got her some wee little ones which are comfortable.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2019 at 3:22 PM, LPadilla34 said:

Hey!

Finally people know more about hearing conservation nowadays. My dad lost his left ear's ability to hear back in the 90's. Since I started riding he always tells me to use earplugs whether it's the cheap or expensive ones as long as I'm protecting my hearing. It's really funny that the company you're talking about is Big Ear because a friend of mine from Jamaica, NY is a provider for them. I only bought the regular custom earplugs that is a bit softer than the $89 dollar one. I think I got mine for $100-$130 and they are durable AF and easy to wash. They look like this

All I can say is that it doesn't matter if it's cheap or expensive as long as it works for you. 

• Member Contributer

I have made my own custom fit earplugs, and they work OK, but in my new helmet the depth of the speaker slots is shallow and they get shoved into my head...my ear canals actually bleed...which sucks.  So I've switched back to foam.  Also my left ear canal is much narrower than the right...

I've used these from Surefire in the past.  They are relatively shallow, but do an OK job of sound attenuation.  The nice thing is they don't sit too deep into the ear canal and the outer ring holds them in place.  Not sure they will pull out or stay in putting a helmet on, but I don't think they are super expensive to try.  https://www.surefire.com/ep3-sonic-defenders.html

ou can see they have different sizes...I would order a Large and a Medium set and mix and match to get my left ear fit better.

image.thumb.png.51f27741f67f5d043f1127ade6688881.png

• Member Contributer
On 8/28/2019 at 8:48 PM, VFR4Lee said:

I bought a variety pack with a whole mess of different plugs.

Eventually decided I like the Moldex Comets (NRR25), and bought a box of 50 pairs.

Speak up MaxSwell! What you saying? I can't hear you over the ringing in my ears.

OK, it's not a joke, it sucks. Riding with no ear protection is at least as bad as sitting in front of that Marshall stack.

I've done both.

explains why terry never hears the deer coming his way..

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the forum.  Foam earplug user here, so can't be of much assistance.  Please do post a photo of your machine - those 400's are rockin' bikes.  Same great V4 sound as their larger cousins.   I'd love to own one but way too small for my lanky frame. 

• Member Contributer
On 9/10/2019 at 11:26 AM, Burns said:

explains why terry never hears the deer coming his way..

You are correct. Never heard a thing. But I'm sure my ear plugs and Schuberth C3-Pro "helped" in that regard. But that allowes me to better hear the voices in my head.:lobby:

On 9/11/2019 at 5:23 PM, MaxSwell said:

But that allowes me to better hear the voices in my head.

You hear voices? So, you are possessed. Let's see if we can find you an exorcist. 😄

• Member Contributer
On 9/13/2019 at 7:11 PM, VFR4Lee said:

You hear voices? So, you are possessed. Let's see if we can find you an exorcist. 😄

I'm jokingly referr to my tinitius. Many years ago (20 years?) I was "sitting" (mostly standing) in the 12th row, in front of the speakers, at a Rolling Stones concert at the Minneapolis Metrodome. My ears never stopped ringing since. I now wear ear plugs at music events.

However that does not mean I'm not possessed. Sometimes I wonder why I do things. So if you know of a good one, let me know.:musik20:

BTW: I love your avatar! Probably because I recognize the same symptoms.

Losing your hearing is no joke. I'm 63 and just started to hearing aids. Lost most of the high frequencies from years of working around gas turbines and steam turbines. I had a hard time hearing some people. Mostly women. Their voices fall in the ranges I could no longer hear. It took my wife about 5 years to talk me into the hearing aids. Wish I would have gotten them sooner. Protect your hearing. Once gone, it ain't coming back. Pick ear plugs that are comfortable. If they are not. You will not wear them like you should. 

I have the ringing in the ears. To me it sounds like summer crickets all the time.  With the crickets and the new voice in my head that says "Low Battery" for when the hearing aid batteries get low. Combine that with the other voices in my skull. I hate it when they have a staff meeting. 

Archived