Side stand issue

Cluggo

8 hours ago, JoelF said:

Hmm, I agree that it's dumb but my dead-stock 2001 Ducati Monster 900S cannot be started or run with the sidestand down and I am pretty sure it'll try to start in gear with the clutch out.

The former is absolutely intended from the factory, the latter might be my clutch switch if it ever had one.  I cannot warm up the bike on the sidestand due to this arrangement.

An even worse situation, some Ducatis came with spring loaded auto-retracting sidestands.

I could bypass the Ducati sidestand safety but I would prefer an arrangement where it'll not run with the sidestand down and the bike in gear so I tolerate the sidestand safety.  At home I have a rear wheel stand handy so it's not a big deal.

Thanks Joel, sounds like my bike. I checked the owners manual online as I didn’t get one with the bike and it said it should start in neutral with side stand down.....like most bikes. Appreciate your comment.

• 2 months later...

Well, I’m hoping that finally the side stand issue is sorted. With so much help and advice from grum, who worked out through logic that the problem must be with the neutral switch ground wire into the ecu, I returned to my mechanic armed with printouts of grums suggestions, as well as a wiring diagram highlighting the culprit. My mechanic was very accommodating and willing to read thru grums suggestions, and sure enough found some corrosion on the wiring going into the ecu. After cleaning that up, the bike is at long last starting as it should....in neutral, with the side stand down. So thanks again to Grum for all his help and to the other members who contributed, and to the creator of this forum for setting it up for all vfr lovers to seek help or show of their bikes. Hopefully now the end of this thread. 

• Member Contributer

Glad it's all sorted Cluggo. Just to let everyone know, the corrosion/poor contact would be at the B10 input to the ECM, being the Clutch/Neutral Switch sensing for Ignition Enable. (Green/Red wire).

The problem you had was NOT a Cranking issue but an Ignition Enable one controlled by the ECM logic for Side Stand, Neutral and Clutch Switch sensing. (B10 and B21 ECM inputs.)

Logic for B10 and B21 is a Ground on either = Ignition Enable. NO Ground on both = Ignition Disable.

By raising your Side Stand, the only way to start your bike, this satisfied the ECM Ignition enable by placing a ground at B21. (Green/White wire)

Cheers.:beer:

Ignition.JPG

• Member Contributer
On 10/31/2019 at 10:03 PM, Grum said:

Now you're really over inflating my tires!!!:wacko:

From what I've seen come from your keyboard over the years I have to agree with Cluggo - you are at least brilliant if not a genious.

So keep it up. Please.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

From what I've seen come from your keyboard over the years I have to agree with Cluggo - you are at least brilliant if not a genious.

So keep it up. Please.

Hey MaxSwell.

I don't know what you've been drinking or smoking lately, but Thanks for your kind words though grossly over exaggerated. At my age and with the help of some little blue tablets, I promise to "keep it up" for as long as I can!!

Now why is it my helmet doesn't fit anymore??

Regards and Cheers.:beer::fing02:

Archived