8 gen spare keys

CoyoteChris

• Member Contributer

Greetings: New member. I just bought an 8 gen.

Its amazing how much disinformation is on the web but I THINK the 8th Gen uses  a non-chipped key in the US and I THINK it is a 351MGPA93 Blank.

Is this a key blank  that I have to buy through my dealer, can they cut it? Do I need a lock smith?

There is a company on the web called Keys4urride that claims they can make you one for $34

What do y'all do for spare keys? 

Two keys is not enough.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, sudolea said:

Never needed more than 1 single key myself 😎

What would you use a (e.g.) third, fourth key for ?

The main key gets a red "Remove before flight" flag and goes with the other bikes' keys. The second key gets skeletonized and put in the wallet. I tour alot.  I am old. I loose things. 🤣 The third key goes into a secret key locker or my bank vault box. Some bikes you can hide a skeleltonized key on the outside.  

(Things get real complex with cars that have keyless igniton fobs or just FOBs.) In fact, there are stories on the web about cycle "writers" that change bikes for testing except that they forgot to swap keyless Fobs with the other writers.  Each rides off with a machine that wont re-start.  LOL!

(BTW, yes, I have had my wife loose her Subaru key fob in a grass field 100 miles away from home and yes, I am glad I fastened a breakin key on the outside of the car and a valet key on the inside. A search later by many folk found the keys in the field)

(Subaru has now address this issue. They have a secret switch you program with a push code like morse code so you can break in to your car if you dont have a cell that can open the door and you can hide another FOB inside the car.)

Old Coyote

(Oh, forgot...you can have an official Honda key blank (lasar cut) purchased and cut for your bike for about $40 delivered in three-four days) Unless you live in Australia.

vfr 1 fb.JPG

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I've never had more than two keys for any bike. A lot of them only had one key. Never had any time when I needed more

than what I had. Of course that's only been over the last 55 years, so it could still happen. YMMV.

Whoops, on Edit, I did drop the VFR key under the tank and couldn't find it so had to have one made.

• Member Contributer

OK!  I got my key from Taylor Lock and Key, North Carolina./ Keys4urride

No 9 percent WA state sales tax

$4.55 first class post

$40.80 Total

(I elected to get the official Honda blank as it looks purdy but I could have saved $5 if I didnt want that.

Works fine and I cant tell it from my other two. 

• Member Contributer

Locksmiths can now reproduce any key.  I don't travel any significant distance without my spare that came with my bike.  

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, Bent said:

Locksmiths can now reproduce any key.  I don't travel any significant distance without my spare that came with my bike.  

I do exactly the same. Always take my spare with me on long trips, mainly because of the HISS on Australian models. The internal transponder within the key can fail, if you're unlucky!

• Member Contributer
On 8/27/2019 at 7:05 AM, Grum said:

I do exactly the same. Always take my spare with me on long trips, mainly because of the HISS on Australian models. The internal transponder within the key can fail, if you're unlucky!

If I had the HISS system, I would probably find a way to put a key on the outside of the bike, but since we just have standard lasar cut keys in the states, I "skelitonize" my three bike keys and tape them to a business card and put them in my wallet. This feeds the Karma monster and I think I will never loose a key. 😉

Archived