Bike stolen, steering lock broken

HareBrain

On 9/21/2019 at 11:01 PM, Bent said:

This is what decent insurance is, again. "If your VFR gets stolen and you have decent insurance, they will pay you more than book value for it.   I kind of hope mine gets stolen........"

Got the settlement a couple of days ago. Despite my insurance being cheap, I think they have paid slightly more than book value. And they were as good as their word in sending back one of the keys for the side-cases. So I'm happy with them. (Big difference from my car insurance payout a few years back.)

• Member Contributer

Insurance is one of those "damned if you do and damned if you don't" propositions.  I'm not lucky enough to not have it.  

On 9/28/2019 at 2:31 PM, Bent said:

Insurance is one of those "damned if you do and damned if you don't" propositions.  I'm not lucky enough to not have it.  

A minimum of third-party insurance is compulsory in the UK so you're covered for damage you may do to other people who then claim against you, and it's extremely rare to find a company that will ensure you 'third-party only' instead of 'third-party, fire and theft' so most people in the UK would be covered if their bike is stolen, like the unfortunate HareBrain, or spontaneously bursts into flames.

• Member Contributer
24 minutes ago, fatshoutybloke said:

A minimum of third-party insurance is compulsory in the UK so you're covered for damage you may do to other people who then claim against you, and it's extremely rare to find a company that will ensure you 'third-party only' instead of 'third-party, fire and theft' so most people in the UK would be covered if their bike is stolen, like the unfortunate HareBrain, or spontaneously bursts into flames.

Same where I live.  I think insurance is like government too.  They waste too much money.  Money corrupts.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

If one is going to get a bike totaled, be sure to hit an animal, or have a tree fall on it. I do not carry colision (physical damage) coverage on my machines saving some money, but do carry comp. That covers "acts of God". So I got two bikes paid for, minus $500 deductable, at blue book prices.  

Off topic: While coming back from a camping trip to WY and ID I hit a coyote with my '08 Civic in ND on Oct. 1. Another amimal control event. :mad:

You have terrible luck with animals, Max. Trees too?

I don't think I have ever hit any critter bigger than a gopher.

Knock wood.

• Member Contributer

I've run through a rising flock of wild turkeys twice.  It's a miracle one didn't hit me in the head.  Quite a surprise when they're hidden in the shoulder grass and you surprise them and they fly right into you.  I ride slower through that area now.  

I don't want to run over the cute little disease bags. But will not make a sudden swerve and risk crashing to avoid them dancing in front of me.

Usually they dance out of the way on their own.

I guess I have run over a snake or 2, come to think of it.

Pheasants are the big problem round here. Every year gamekeepers release millions of the brain-free pie-fillings into the countryside so half can be shot and half can be run over. They're big enough to do a bit of damage too.

Picking my new bike up next week -- another 2014, this time in black, and with an Akro exhaust. (The white panniers will look a bit weird on it, but distinctive, I guess!)

Thinking about security after this unpleasant experience. There's nothing I can really chain it to, and I can't rely on parking it in the same spot so a ground tie in the kerb is out. I'm hoping a good D-lock through each wheel will be enough of a deterrent. Don't think I want to go with an alarm, as there are some very bassy exhausts round here and it might get set off.

3 hours ago, HareBrain said:

Pheasants are the big problem round here. Every year gamekeepers release millions of the brain-free pie-fillings into the countryside so half can be shot and half can be run over. They're big enough to do a bit of damage too.

Picking my new bike up next week -- another 2014, this time in black, and with an Akro exhaust. (The white panniers will look a bit weird on it, but distinctive, I guess!)

Thinking about security after this unpleasant experience. There's nothing I can really chain it to, and I can't rely on parking it in the same spot so a ground tie in the kerb is out. I'm hoping a good D-lock through each wheel will be enough of a deterrent. Don't think I want to go with an alarm, as there are some very bassy exhausts round here and it might get set off.

Here in Essex too, especially this time of year. I saw a video of someone who hit one at speed on his Fireblade, split his visor, gave him vertebral whiplash damage and totalled his bike when it ended up in a ditch.

PS, I love "brain-free pie-fillings", stealing that! 

• Member Contributer
On 10/15/2019 at 7:34 PM, VFR4Lee said:

You have terrible luck with animals, Max. Trees too?

I don't think I have ever hit any critter bigger than a gopher.

Knock wood.

Never a tree or other solid object (I do not consider hitting the ground a solid object). I have to admit to bouncing off of a barbedwire fence though. Good thing it was not "solid". (blush)

Back on topic: Over 200,000 miles, with much of it camping along the way, with the bike out in the elements and at risk to dispicable bike thieves and vandals, I've never seen evidence of tampering with the machines.

Another knock wood here

• Member Contributer
On 10/18/2019 at 7:45 AM, HareBrain said:

There’s at least one disc lock with a built in motion alarm that actually needs the bike to move to actuate, so won’t be sent off by the wind ....piercing 114db screech

Black ...the best colour 

Archived