Bike stolen, steering lock broken

HareBrain

Sadly my beautiful white 2014 got nicked from outside my house the night before last. I hadn't realised the steering lock was so easy to break. Won't be making that mistake again. :o(

Frustratingly, a neighbour witnessed the thieves wheeling the bike away, but in her half-asleep state she thought it must be the owner and a mate taking it away to start it somewhere less built up so they wouldn't wake anyone!! I guess that makes sense ...

• Member Contributer

what a shit trick, hopefully it will be found not too damaged but would you want it back after some scrote has had it away, bastards

• Member Contributer

That sucks big time; brings me back to 1989....... :mad:

If not done already READ through your insurance policy details to make sure you donot make ANY statement that can make the insurers not pay out... 

Thanks guys.

Not sure what to do about this. The insurers' claims team wants me to send in all the keys. I still have the panniers which use the same key. What should I do? Is it best to send in just one key, say I lost the other, and risk a lower market valuation? (Assuming it will affect that.) If I tell them the situation, what are they likely to say? Anyone know?

ETA: I guess, since it won't need the immobiliser, I can just get a copy cut for the pannier locks?

• Member Contributer

Presumably the keys for the panniers doesn’t need to be HISS chipped so getting a regular type key cut would seem to be a solution 

1 minute ago, Thumbs said:

Presumably the keys for the panniers doesn’t need to be HISS chipped so getting a regular type key cut would seem to be a solution 

Cheers, I don't know if you saw the ETA I added to my last post? I had the same idea.

• Member Contributer

Send both keys as it "proves" you didnot just give the key to the tea leaves....

Take note of the numbers on the key as this will allow getting new ones methink.   Or buy a set of locks with the key number of your new bike.

1 hour ago, Dutchy said:

Take note of the numbers on the key

I can't find a number on the key, or anything that looks like a key number in the documentation. Where would it be? (Though hopefully Thumbs's suggestion will work.)

IF YOU STILL HAD THE BIKE:

after you remove the top triple clamp along with the ign switch, you can find the key # stamped on fork lock piece.  also on both filler cap and seat release locks.

(sorry if this isn't correct on your bike. it's info from a different honda)

august_15--2019_007.thumb.JPG.efca842185e1e628b47da06d81994d0f.JPG

Yes on getting new keys cut for the bags before you send them to insurance.

Or, tell them the deal with the keys, just don't try to claim the bags are gone. Of course.

• Member Contributer

With all due respect, your neighbor sounds like an idiot... Isn't it wildly known that motorcycle thefts is an epidemic?

Well, if the insurance company really needs this second key, AT LEAST make sure you OPEN both panniers BEFORE sending both keys. Because then, you can always re-adapt both lock(s) to another key. This may be attractive if someone else is interested in buying them second hand. And even for you, if you intend to buy another such VFR.

This is all in the assumption that you still have the complete inner lock sets for adapting to other keys. If you don't, you can buy (2) new (inner lock) sets of these for about (twice) 23€ (I have the reference numbers to order, if you want, I just bought 2 such sets). I am as good as completely sure that even then, spending 46€ costs less than another ignition key !!!

It might even be possible to claim these 2 lock sets from your insurance company ? If they don't pay the lock sets back, you might claim your panniers are completely worthless otherwise, without the original keys. If they would have to chose between paying you back 2 side panniers, or only the inner lock cylinders, I think they will have chosen quite quickly !

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, HareBrain said:

I can't find a number on the key, or anything that looks like a key number in the documentation. Where would it be? (Though hopefully Thumbs's suggestion will work.)

Mine was a letter and 3 numbers  if that is any help to you. It was printed on a rectangular piece of card about 20mm x 50mm, barcode with the code underneath.

I was also going to suggest getting a copy cut. Timpsons or any locksmith should be able to copy as you don't need Chip.

11 hours ago, squirrelman said:

IF YOU STILL HAD THE BIKE:

after you remove the top triple clamp along with the ign switch, you can find the key # stamped on fork lock piece.  also on both filler cap and seat release locks.

(sorry if this isn't correct on your bike. it's info from a different honda)

august_15--2019_007.thumb.JPG.efca842185e1e628b47da06d81994d0f.JPG

This is 8th gen totally different key.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, sudolea said:

Well, if the insurance company really needs this second key, AT LEAST make sure you OPEN both panniers BEFORE sending both keys. Because then, you can always re-adapt both lock(s) to another key. 

+1

5 hours ago, flya750 said:

With all due respect, your neighbor sounds like an idiot... Isn't it wildly known that motorcycle thefts is an epidemic?

This is a pretty low crime area, and she sounded embarrassed about it later. But yeah frustrating that the whole thing might have been avoided by her shouting out of the window.

4 hours ago, sudolea said:

Well, if the insurance company really needs this second key, AT LEAST make sure you OPEN both panniers BEFORE sending both keys. Because then, you can always re-adapt both lock(s) to another key. This may be attractive if someone else is interested in buying them second hand. And even for you, if you intend to buy another such VFR.

Thanks for advice about opening the panniers. I am hoping to get another VFR, as I loved it so much. The local Honda is having a think about what the best option is re the locks. (ETA: they reckon best option is to get new barrels fitted anyway.)

2 hours ago, fink said:

Timpsons or any locksmith should be able to copy as you don't need Chip.

I've tried them this morning, but they can't get a blank. Can't even find one on eBay.

• Member Contributer

If your VFR gets stolen and you have decent insurance, they will pay you more than book value for it.   I kind of hope mine gets stolen........

8 minutes ago, Bent said:

If your VFR gets stolen and you have decent insurance, they will pay you more than book value for it.   I kind of hope mine gets stolen........

Don't know exactly what you call a decent insurance, but around here, a decent bike theft insurance costs you an arm and a leg ... each year   😅

My insurance was cheap. Whether it's decent, I guess I'm about to find out. (Though they have said I should be able to get a key back for the side cases.)

BTW, I've at least got back the licence plate and what I think is the immobiliser -- someone handed them in to the police after finding them in their garden. So I guess my bike is now going around with a duplicate plate of someone else's VFR.

3 hours ago, HareBrain said:

My insurance was cheap. Whether it's decent, I guess I'm about to find out. (Though they have said I should be able to get a key back for the side cases.)

BTW, I've at least got back the licence plate and what I think is the immobiliser -- someone handed them in to the police after finding them in their garden. So I guess my bike is now going around with a duplicate plate of someone else's VFR.

Sorry to hear, thieves are the absolute worst. I ride a black VFR, don't see too many white VFRs in the wild here, will keep an eye out if I see any in London

• Member Contributer

I cannot add to anything said above but you have my complete sympathy. I hope you are made whole by your insurance company, and hope you find another VFR to continue your VFR riding experience.

• 3 weeks later...

You have my sympathy too. I had my Fireblade SP stolen from outside work, one of my colleagues was on their phone but didn’t intervene or raise the alarm ! 

The insurance company needs the two keys from you to prove there wasn’t one left in ignition- I was insured with MCE, they were very good and fair. I am no longer with MCE because their recovery company fried the electrics on the Fireblade’s replacement and lied about what they had done.

Both incidents on CCTV, EEC GDPR rules mean that CCTV footage could not be released to me to help with either problem. 

I hope your claim is settled quickly and in full. I now carry an Abus u lock with me, the steering locks can be broken by a well placed kick to the handlebar. Honda’s HISS can apparently be overridden using a $10 circuit board available online. 

• Member Contributer
On 9/16/2019 at 8:14 PM, bob38 said:

Both incidents on CCTV, EEC GDPR rules mean that CCTV footage could not be released to me to help with either problem. 

That is not true.  Someone just didn't want to help.  Legal proceedings/crime are exceptions to both the UK's Data Protection Act 2018 as well as to the GDPR.

Given that HareBrain has a third party witness to the theft, there is no rational need to "prove" that the key was not left in the bike by producing both original keys (nor does it preclude the possibility that a copy was left in the ignition!); if the insurer refused/reduced coverage on that basis they would risk being penalised/slapped down by the Insurance regulator.

Ciao,

JZH

I've found a replacement bike I like the look of, but it already comes with the side cases, which is reflected in the price. Assuming I get a key back for mine (which the insurers reckon will be no problem) does anyone think my old ones will be easy to sell for a few hundred quid? That might be the clincher.

This bike also has Dunlop Sportmax tyres. I know little about them except that no one on here seems to rate them. But at 7500 miles, they can't be the originals, so the previous owner must have liked them? Or maybe just decided to replace like for like.

(My bike came with BT23s, which I thought were OK. I replaced the rear with a T30 which I thought was much better.)

• Member Contributer
On 8/27/2019 at 10:19 AM, sudolea said:

Don't know exactly what you call a decent insurance, but around here, a decent bike theft insurance costs you an arm and a leg ... each year   😅

This is what decent insurance is, again. "If your VFR gets stolen and you have decent insurance, they will pay you more than book value for it.   I kind of hope mine gets stolen........"

Archived