Brand new to the VFR world :)

Indiekixx

I just bought a 2015 Honda VFR 800 DLX and was a little bummed at how there isn't a lot of aftermarket stuff available. I was looking for some good tank pads and can only seem to find Evo as an option. Anyone have any other brands you would recommend? I was really happy to find this site. Looking forward to learning lots and excited to be part of the group now 🙂

• Member Contributer

You don't like the OEM carbon fiber tank pad? I've seen guys on the FB groups advertising that they can custom make anything. That may be a route?

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond!

And indeed, w/o a picture of your bike you are nothing but a mirage...  :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Welcome!

Are you looking for something in the center to protect from zippers?  Or tank pads on the sides for grip?

There should be a plenitude of center pads that are generic that may work. 

For the sides there is StompGrip also.  

• Member Contributer

I use the clear 3M protective film to protect the tank from my tank bag and zippers...not sure if that's the reason you're asking but that's what I do.

I have a carbon fiber HRC center tank pad from ebay, and black Stomp Grip (made for 8th gen VFRs) on the sides. Personally, I don't know how anyone rides without some sort of grip pads on the sides.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, 4corsa said:

I have a carbon fiber HRC center tank pad from ebay, and black Stomp Grip (made for 8th gen VFRs) on the sides. Personally, I don't know how anyone rides without some sort of grip pads on the sides.

I don't see how side grip pads help on the 8G? Your legs don't touch the tank really? 

? Not sure I understand. The inside of my knees/thighs are always against the sides of the tank. I ride with my butt towards the back of the seat and my legs squeezing the tank slightly - this helps take your weight off the bars. I can't imagine hard braking without the side grips - I'd slide forward and slam my nuts on the back of the tank

Sorry the belated pics 😜

I am looking for side tank grips and a center tank pad. I like the look of the side grips and functionality. I was hoping to find a center tank pad that matched the side grips. I definitely need a center tank pad as it's pretty obvious that my zippers from my leather jackets are going to scratch it all up. 

I will check out stomp grips as well. Thanks for the advice 🙂

C%M8iIMmRWKOXVClZBhz1A.jpg

bK4iGP6VQqS6SNPCHyN8nA.jpg

wJ%29ZcUQyui1GZpFpln+w.jpg

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, 4corsa said:

? Not sure I understand. The inside of my knees/thighs are always against the sides of the tank. I ride with my butt towards the back of the seat and my legs squeezing the tank slightly - this helps take your weight off the bars. I can't imagine hard braking without the side grips - I'd slide forward and slam my nuts on the back of the tank emoji51.png

I second all this. Stompgrip has made an immeasurable improvement of the bike/rider interface on my 5th Gen. Tons of grip for my knees, between this and a Sargent seat my body is much more planted and I completely cured that 'sliding into the tank' feeling I had with the stock seat and no side grip. I use a generic carbon fiber tank pad to protect from paint damage from zippers/etc. There is a 'Stompgrip is cheating' thread here or on VFRW that covers this in more detail, including what Stompgrip fits well and how to trim it (there is no custom cut option for the 5th Gen). 

Edit - I see that you have an 8th Gen, so my comments about what will fit are null, but the feel/experience with Stompgrip is still relevant.

...not to mention, how do you hang-off in a corner without your outside knee firmly gripped on the tank? Remember, you should never use the bars for support to hang-off, just your legs...

• Member Contributer

Easy solutions:  Use Tank Slappers for the tank and the black rubber tank pad in the rear of the tank meant for another model Honda, I can't remember which one.  Tankslapper is very much underestimated and used IMO.  The rear center rubber pad is rather pricy but doesn't look cheesy like the common one's seen on the market.  

Hello,

made very good experiences with the bagster: tank pad, luggage (easy fill up) and protection. 

OK, looks prob. a little bit „square“.

greetings Jens

215B5AD3-51D4-4BAA-BA9B-759EB9E8F0D4.jpeg

20 hours ago, jens74 said:

Hello,

made very good experiences with the bagster: tank pad, luggage (easy fill up) and protection. 

OK, looks prob. a little bit „square“.

greetings Jens

215B5AD3-51D4-4BAA-BA9B-759EB9E8F0D4.jpeg

That's what I have too...

2019-06-23 37,529 miles .JPG

• Member Contributer

Aye, Bagster when you want to mule yer ride!!

as.jpg

(the bag (RIDER/STUNT) proved a bit too wide so I went for a narrover one (NEWSIGN)

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum Indiekixx. You obviously have great taste in mc's. And I love the great mc riding available in your neck of the woods. It has been my among my favorite destination for riding/camping. Between the great riding routes in the area, the fabulous natural beauty including Mt. Hood, Columbia River Gorge, and the Pacific Ocean coast and the friendly people I've met in the area, you Washingtonians have it quite well. It's the place I'd chose to move if I ever wanted to move from Fabulous Minnesota. 

Archived