handlebar comparo

Lorne

• Member Contributer

From new my VTec’s handlebars have vibrated noticeable more than either of my 5G VFR800s. In 2016 I installed an LSL Superbike handlebar conversion. In addition to the more relaxed riding position the vibration was dampened somewhat.

But the aluminum ‘bars which cannot accept Honda’s bar end-weights because the wall thickness is much thicker than the steel oe bars. None of the aftermarket end-weights I looked at were any good.

At my dealer a couple weeks ago I noticed that the CB1000R uses an aluminum handlebar. It won’t fit the LSL brackets as the centre section swells to more than 7/8”. But I reckoned that the end-weights might just fit, and ordered a set.

When they arrived a test fit showed that I needed to bore the outer inch of my handlebars. I wasn’t keen to try it myself with just a hand held drill, but a local machine shop solved that issue.

Assembling the bits was pretty straighforward, though a little silicone grease on the inner rubber o-rings helped.

The first photo shows the various bits, and the two gifs show a comparison between stock and LSL.

*Click to view the animation*

end_weight_parts-VFRD.jpg

VFR_bars_rear.gif

VFR_bars_side.gif

• 4 months later...
On 8/21/2019 at 7:15 PM, Lorne said:

From new my VTec’s handlebars have vibrated noticeable more than either of my 5G VFR800s. In 2016 I installed an LSL Superbike handlebar conversion. In addition to the more relaxed riding position the vibration was dampened somewhat.

But the aluminum ‘bars which cannot accept Honda’s bar end-weights because the wall thickness is much thicker than the steel oe bars. None of the aftermarket end-weights I looked at were any good.

At my dealer a couple weeks ago I noticed that the CB1000R uses an aluminum handlebar. It won’t fit the LSL brackets as the centre section swells to more than 7/8”. But I reckoned that the end-weights might just fit, and ordered a set.

When they arrived a test fit showed that I needed to bore the outer inch of my handlebars. I wasn’t keen to try it myself with just a hand held drill, but a local machine shop solved that issue.

Assembling the bits was pretty straighforward, though a little silicone grease on the inner rubber o-rings helped.

The first photo shows the various bits, and the two gifs show a comparison between stock and LSL.

*Click to view the animation*

end_weight_parts-VFRD.jpg

VFR_bars_rear.gif

VFR_bars_side.gif

Did you reroute the controls or go with longer ones?

• Member Contributer
On 8/22/2019 at 10:44 PM, Marvelicious said:

Has it made a noticeable difference?

Wow, sorry I didn't respond back in August.

To answer your question, yes. The bar end weights reduced vibration almost as much again as changing to tubular bars. Plus, they added a finished look to the conversion.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Rocks98 said:

Did you reroute the controls or go with longer ones?

I used a set of ST1300 throttle cables, but had enough clearance with the electrical & hydraulic lines by rerouting. Unlike some of the other guys I couldn't make the original throttle cables work.

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Lorne said:

Wow, sorry I didn't respond back in August.

To answer your question, yes. The bar end weights reduced vibration almost as much again as changing to tubular bars. Plus, they added a finished look to the conversion.

No worries. It's an internet forum conversation... hardly the most important thing in the world. My bar conversion definitely helped, but I'm not running weights. The Oury grips I run soak quite a bit of vibration though. 

9 hours ago, Lorne said:

I used a set of ST1300 throttle cables, but had enough clearance with the electrical & hydraulic lines by rerouting. Unlike some of the other guys I couldn't make the original throttle cables work.

Pretty sure those are the throttle cables I ran as well. I also got extended hoses, but it was more of an excuse to upgrade to stainless than actual necessity. Galfer made me their standard kit with extra length on the master cylinder hoses.

• 1 month later...

Archived