Bike died

• Member Contributer

Bike died on Mass Pike coming back from NC. Had to get a tow as I was in a bad place. Sitting in a gas station waiting for my brother and his trailer. Felt like fuel issue as it died slowly. Fuses and electrics seemed ok. Fuel pump note coming on when key turned on, pulled relay and jumped wires and pump ran. Of course by this time I had run battery to low to start. Still have 225 miles to go so I'll sort it out proper and charge battery. Of course if I misdiagnosed I'll probably have some questions.

0819191346_HDR.jpg

0819191335_HDR.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hope you get it sorted soon, give things a good:computer-noworky:

Tank breather hose clear?

If you still suspect the fuel pump, just unhook it electrically and connect the hose from the fuel tank straight to the fuel filter. Keep at least a 1/4 in the tnak and she will run fine.

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, coupedupsubie said:

Did you make it home and figure out the issue? If I was home I would have offered to come get you and your bike.

Thanks mate, appreciate the thought. My brother drove down from New Hampshire with his truck and trailer and bailed me out. Stuck my bike in his garage, and since it was late decided  to throw a charger on it and tackle it the next morning. Had my Clymers with me and it was a pretty easy temp fix to remove the relay connector and jump the black and Blue/Black wires to get the pump running again. My brother got off work early and he jumped on his ST1100 and we headed out for a 100 mile or so ride. Everything fine with the VFR. Was going to leave this am but Severe weather warning with hail and a tornado watch. My wife texted me to please not head out (I know, insert joke here :+). I got caught last year in the White Mountains with a similar forecast thinking I could tough it out, only to spend 3 hours at an abandoned gas station about 15 miles north of Concord watching an impressive lighting display with a ton of rain and a hail storm finish.  When a break appeared I ended up duck walking the bike back to the highway as the road was covered with hail and slowly returned to Concord where I spent the night. I figured a day in my brothers garage was a better alternative than going through that again.

Archived