6th Gen Header on 5th Gen?

austinaw91

Has anyone successfully installed a 6th gen header on their late model 5th gen (00-01)? I understand they should be identical and yield zero performance gains, but am considering swapping for stainless.

Thoughts?

• Member Contributer

It should fit... plug and play!

:wheel:

I believe that during the performance header trial and fitment work they observed about 3/8” difference (shorter) in length on the 6th gen collector exit length. I would be surprised if that made too much of a difference.  Would you use the stock 5th gen muffler or aftermarket?

• Member Contributer

Have you considered getting in on the stainless steel performance headers?

if you are going to do the work might as well bolt on some ponies in the process...

16 minutes ago, Rush2112 said:

It should fit... plug and play!

:wheel:

I believe that during the performance header trial and fitment work they observed about 3/8” difference (shorter) in length on the 6th gen collector exit length. I would be surprised if that made too much of a difference.  Would you use the stock 5th gen muffler or aftermarket?

I have a high-mount Staintune...hopefully it wouldn’t be too much of an issue and would still fit?

I really like the sound of the performance headers that have been on here and would be interested. The cost difference would be large, however. I can find a used 6th gen header in great shape shipped to my door for less than $150 probably where I’d drop $600-700 on the performance one. Now I’m all for performance...but the bike isn’t slow by any means stock and a few hp may not be worth the money. I would like to go catless and save some weight too...so I could cut the stainless 6th gen cat and come out ahead. 

If only Honda had made 98-99 pipes with stainless...

• Member Contributer

I have 98-99 headers with the welds ground flush on my bike.  Losing the cat makes a very noticeable difference in sound, weight, and top end pull.

We are trying to get another batch of performance headers made so if you are interested we need the numbers.... and they are better than 98-99 and they are stainless :beer:

Archived