Cheaper gear indicator - 6th gen

rhoderage

• Member Contributer

This was noted in the 5th gen forum but the post is now archived

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/87794-cheaper-gear-indicator-option-for-the-vfr800/

I purchased and installed it for my 2002 6-gen and it was easy, relatively cheap (compared to Healtech), and works.  It is clearly a replication of the Healtech piece.

Got it from the bay, example 173434031141, from seller knightshousestore.  About $50 to Canada (I made an offer and got it a few bucks less than advertised).

I don't think a full how-to is necessary, but here are a few key things I noted along the way:

• If you have a SpeedoDRD or SpeedoHealer etc, follow the Healtech directions, bike male plug -> gear indicator -> speedoDRD/healer -> bike female plug.  Worked for me.

• Take off your right side fairing and lift the fuel tank for easy access to the areas you need.  [I also removed seat and negative battery cable as I had other wiring to do.]

• I chose to first attach the gear indicator to the dash... then ran the wiring and cable tied it along the way down to the connection points.  I figured this was easiest to ensure I had it positioned where I wanted on the dash, and actually the wiring was the perfect length for the VFR, no real extra to tie up.

• 2 white plugs connect into bike right below the coolant tank, the 3pin 'natural' (clear-ish) connector, that has an output line from the speed sensor.  Very straightforward.

• The green wire, which is separate from the white plugs, connects to your Yellow/Green (yellow with thin green stripe) wire at your ECU by the instructions.  Tracing the wire in the wiring diagram shows it goes into the big grey connector (adjacent to the big blue connector, above your left side rad).  I spliced in here with the connector the kit provided.
    • One little silliness was the kit has a loom wrap for all of the wiring down to the speed sensor plugs.  Well thats good but the green wire needs to connect much further upline.  I of course didnt pay attention to this until after the wires were run and all of my cable ties were in place :) .  I simply slit open the cable loom where I needed the wire, and then cut it off and prepared for the connection.  Re-wrapped the loom in electrical tape. 

• Follow the learning sequence!  Its kinda important (guess how I know?)

If you want an easy to install gear indicator, you can't beat it for the price.

20190812_112248.jpg

20190812_183356.jpg

20190812_183421.jpg

20190812_092657.jpg

• Member Contributer
45 minutes ago, rhoderage said:

This was noted in the 5th gen forum but the post is now archived

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/87794-cheaper-gear-indicator-option-for-the-vfr800/

I purchased and installed it for my 2002 6-gen and it was easy, relatively cheap (compared to Healtech), and works.  It is clearly a replication of the Healtech piece.

Got it from the bay, example 173434031141, from seller knightshousestore.  About $50 to Canada (I made an offer and got it a few bucks less than advertised).

I don't think a full how-to is necessary, but here are a few key things I noted along the way:

• If you have a SpeedoDRD or SpeedoHealer etc, follow the Healtech directions, bike male plug -> gear indicator -> speedoDRD/healer -> bike female plug.  Worked for me.

• Take off your right side fairing and lift the fuel tank for easy access to the areas you need.  [I also removed seat and negative battery cable as I had other wiring to do.]

• I chose to first attach the gear indicator to the dash... then ran the wiring and cable tied it along the way down to the connection points.  I figured this was easiest to ensure I had it positioned where I wanted on the dash, and actually the wiring was the perfect length for the VFR, no real extra to tie up.

• 2 white plugs connect into bike right below the coolant tank, the 3pin 'natural' (clear-ish) connector, that has an output line from the speed sensor.  Very straightforward.

• The green wire, which is separate from the white plugs, connects to your Yellow/Green (yellow with thin green stripe) wire at your ECU by the instructions.  Tracing the wire in the wiring diagram shows it goes into the big grey connector (adjacent to the big blue connector, above your left side rad).  I spliced in here with the connector the kit provided.
    • One little silliness was the kit has a loom wrap for all of the wiring down to the speed sensor plugs.  Well thats good but the green wire needs to connect much further upline.  I of course didnt pay attention to this until after the wires were run and all of my cable ties were in place 🙂 .  I simply slit open the cable loom where I needed the wire, and then cut it off and prepared for the connection.  Re-wrapped the loom in electrical tape. 

• Follow the learning sequence!  Its kinda important (guess how I know?)

If you want an easy to install gear indicator, you can't beat it for the price.

20190812_112248.jpg

20190812_183356.jpg

20190812_183421.jpg

20190812_092657.jpg

Wow, what a beautiful machine. I do love those white ones.

I wonder if these would work in fifth gens. Any ideas. I an an electrical idiot. It's all FM to me (frick'n majik).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Its just a cheapy i found on ebay, i had seen a few others use it in another thread.

Its simple power wire ground wire so yes it should work on any 12v system

The bracket that you see it mounted in is made by a forum member, TriumpTraitor... see this thread

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/89043-12v-power-outlet-plug-mountusb-mount/

Archived