Vf electrical hacker

Aparator

Hi all. So the vf500 I picked up has had a lot of electrical hacking done to it. Im getting a new ignition as the key was lost and have been using a bridge to start and run it. 

The big issue among others is that the radiator fan won't turn on. I'm hoping that it has something to do with the ignition switch? It's not burnt out, I ran lines to the battery and it works. 

There are wiring coming out of either side of the handles, initially I thought them to be for the indicators but when I split them apart the bike would turn over.

IMG_20190812_195540257.thumb.jpg.dd320d2b923b76ab29262334cd5cc949.jpgimageproxy.php?img=&key=7efb97be9d19f7a0IMG_20190812_195652355.thumb.jpg.e3aa3f27792a14f87d1864ac0caedb14.jpg

Im not even sure what this connection is for, rear turn signals?IMG_20190812_195732474.thumb.jpg.37b8de7b2227588959c64ea8ab809f15.jpg

The panel has been ground down and a lot of the connectors have been splicedIMG_20190812_195752370.thumb.jpg.ab817268fb86fc5c5ce0c2042687134a.jpg

IMG_20190812_195910002.jpg

IMG_20190812_195910002.jpg

• Member Contributer

What is the history of this bike? Why is its wiring "hacked"?????

If you get yourself the proper wiring diagram, you should then be able to work out what's what via the colour coding.

I'm sure that 3 pin White connector with the Blue, Black and White wire is for the Fuel Cuttout Relay, which is probably bypassed.

The Green and Light Green wires in your left hand are most likely the Horn Switch wires.

The pair of wires on the right hand side the Green/Yellow and White/Green is the front Brake Switch.

Your wires at the front of the bike are most likely your Blinkers and Position light. Left Blinker is Orange, Right Blinker is Light/Blue, Position Light is Brown, the Green is the ground return.

Got this info from a Magna V45 VF750C drawing (see attached) probably similar to your bike, couldn't find anything exactly for your model 1985 VF500.

image.jpeg

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Aparator said:

There are wiring coming out of either side of the handles, initially I thought them to be for the indicators but when I split them apart the bike would turn over.

Assume you mean "bike would not turn over" = probably clutch switch wiring.

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Grum said:

What is the history of this bike? Why is its wiring "hacked"?????

If you get yourself the proper wiring diagram, you should then be able to work out what's what via the colour coding.

I'm sure that 3 pin White connector with the Blue, Black and White wire is for the Fuel Cuttout Relay, which is probably bypassed.

The Green and Light Green wires in your left hand are most likely the Horn Switch wires.

The pair of wires on the right hand side the Green/Yellow and White/Green is the front Brake Switch.

Your wires at the front of the bike are most likely your Blinkers and Position light. Left Blinker is Orange, Right Blinker is Light/Blue, Position Light is Brown, the Green is the ground return.

Got this info from a Magna V45 VF750C drawing (see attached) probably similar to your bike, couldn't find anything exactly for your model 1985 VF500.

image.jpeg

Grum, you are a fountain of information on VFRs of all sorts. V glad you are one of us!

• Member Contributer

The fan is "hot" when you turn on the ignition on and is switched ÖN"by the ground wire coming from the thermoswitch.

If you run a wire from the ground terminal of the fan to any ground on the bike and you turn on ignition to should spin.

I've put a on/off switch on said line you I can decide when to run the fan myself

The tempearture gauge in the cluster is trigger by a ground wire coming from the thermostat housing (besides the front right cilinder)

I cannot locate my VF500 manual at the moment AAARRGGH...  but I will find it and scan the wiring diagram for you.....

The rest is as GRUM described methink.  If you need a pictures of anything of my VF500F@, let me know.

Thanks a bunch everyone. I picked up an 85 and an 86 for 700. My friend is trying to get the 86 going (carb has been completely dismantled) I'm working on the 85. Biggest concern is electrical right now for me. We have a crymer manual I'm just neither a sparky nor a mechanic haha. Loving the bike though!

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

Grum, you are a fountain of information on VFRs of all sorts. V glad you are one of us!

Hi MaxSwell, Wow thanks for your very kind words, grossly exaggerated though.

Here's cheers to you:beer: And may your lid never skid!

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Grum said:

And may your lid never skid AGAIN

fixed that for you :tongue:

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Dutchy said:

fixed that for you :tongue:

Dutchy is correct. I've skid my lid so much I have to look at which way my shoes are pointing to tell if I coming or going. :wacko:

But NO lid skidding since I've taken several Advanced Rider Courses at the Dakota County Technical College (DTCT) track. (Knock Wood - in my case I just tap my head) no skidding for the last few years. :woohoo:

• Member Contributer

IMG_20190812_195540257.jpg

That clutch master looks prestty much like a VFR750 one as OEM they are black  (can I still use that word? :ohmy:). 

But as long as function follows form here,  there's no issue...

• 2 weeks later...

like grum said, you'll get nowhere without a wiring diagram and observing color codes.  in addition, a volt/ohm meter is almost a necessity for doing any serious electrical work.

Archived