Air cleaner adventures (w/photos!)

Bubba5000

Seeing as the OEM Honda air filter is about $45+shipping, I went bargain hunting and found a Chinese one for $15+shipping on EBay. It took about two weeks to get here. It’s a great fit and matched up perfectly with the OEM one. No difference at all that I could identify. So, today was the day I finished up all remaining remedial maintenance on my craigslist 5th gen. I previously did charging system, drive chain, oil&filter, bled front brakes, and the clutch, inspected the hoses and cooling system in general, and the last things to do, today, was to bleed my rear brakes and install my new $15 Chinese air filter. So, I get the air cleaner open, and it’s PACKED with a giant MOUSE NEST!. I was appalled, as I have been riding this thing around for a month, and it seemed to run pretty good. Luckily, none of the mouse poop, pee, or bedding got underneath the filter or into my throttle bodies. Anyhow, put it back together and it runs super great!👍Photos below...

552CF3BB-DF4F-4FD3-93B6-8F673BBE6F64.jpeg

6D3F2F88-5F2E-453E-B975-98DCCA20EF57.png

3E3CB577-FA14-4559-96CE-F7A9A95AC2FD.png

• Member Contributer

In tear jerking voiceover mode...

Every year... millions of mice are evicted from their air cleaners and become homeless...

Jokes aside... I'd be out for blood!

• Member Contributer

The exact thing has happened to two of my fifth gen purchases. Having read of a similar thing on VFRD, I was purchasing an '01 in eastern Ohio, which was being stored in a pole barn, if he'd checked the air box. He'd not so went out to check. Sure enough there was a nest, which he cleaned up. Then, having found a very nice 01 in Virgina, I arranged to buy and trailered there to pick it up on the way to T-mac. It was in a pole barn, only the wife was available to show it. It looked pristine; only 10,700 mi. So I rode it around the property and onto the trailer, hauled it to Microtel in Franklin, NC. After unloading it and starting it in the parking lot, it ran roughly. Checked the air box and there was Mickey Mouse's former home. 

So welcome to the Mickey Mouse House Club. :wheel:

all that extra media in there probably filtered the air wonderfully!

i know it looks terrible but i've got some fiberglass screen zip-tied over the intake on my bikes. you can't see it with the fairings on so who cares, important thing is no mice.

Archived